lifting yj...what do i get? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lifting yj...what do i get?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #31
jjh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Go BDS or atleast something with military wrap (allows uppermost spring to break and still have leafs attached to shackle)...i went through all the different brands when i was buying my lift and decided to go BDS for not only the military wrap but the great reviews and LIFETIME warranty. The warranty is a great thing...they will send you a new part if you broke/lost anything and just call them. It is awesome!!

Unread 01-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #32
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
I hope that you misquoted the price from 4wheelparts...$4000?? No way would I pay that. And obviously your dad has deeper pockets than me if he thinks that's reasonable.

Now, as far as needing a sye and a new driveshaft, for a 2-2.5" you're not going to need those for that small of a lift. If you were going 3.5"+, then it would be something you'd have to consider. If you decide you want to do it, sye's cost a couple hundred bucks and a custom driveshaft is between $350-600.

The only thing that's 50%/50% is having to have a transfer case drop. Some people have to have them and others don't. The only way to know is to drive it after the lift. If you get vibes, you need it. As far as the physical install, it's very straight forward and you pretty much can't mess it up. I'd find another mechanic to install the lift if I didn't want to do it myself. There's no way in hell I'd spend 4k for a SUA 2.5" lift.
True but I don't see how you could get no vibes at all when it took the lowering kit and shims to get rid of mine. Also, if you did a sye it would increase ground clearance by not dropping the transfer case an inch. I am contemplating doing the 1 inch body lift, 1 inch motor mount lift, tj flares, and raising the center skid to just below flat with the frame (belly up). This will allow me to fit 33's on a 2 inch lift but I will then need the sye.

@Dakota123 Don't get the sye with the 2-2.5 inch lift if they try to sell you it. You definitely dont need it like jhumphrey was saying
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94yjstocklook View Post
True but I don't see how you could get no vibes at all when it took the lowering kit and shims to get rid of mine. Also, if you did a sye it would increase ground clearance by not dropping the transfer case an inch. I am contemplating doing the 1 inch body lift, 1 inch motor mount lift, tj flares, and raising the center skid to just below flat with the frame (belly up). This will allow me to fit 33's on a 2 inch lift but I will then need the sye.

@Dakota123 Don't get the sye with the 2-2.5 inch lift if they try to sell you it. You definitely dont need it like jhumphrey was saying
Ive noticed that its hit and miss with YJs on if you need a tcase drop when doing under 3" of lift. Ive owned two different ones, one had a suspension lift and the other has a body lift. I haven't had to have a drop in either of them. We'll see when I change my body lift to a suspension lift this time. Either way, its not a big deal to me to get the drop. Just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean it doesn't bother others .

Currently, Im running 31s with just a body lift. I haven't had an issue with clearance on the trails I ride....results will vary
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #34
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope that you misquoted the price from 4wheelparts...$4000?? No way would I pay that. And obviously your dad has deeper pockets than me if he thinks that's reasonable.

Now, as far as needing a sye and a new driveshaft, for a 2-2.5" you're not going to need those for that small of a lift. If you were going 3.5"+, then it would be something you'd have to consider. If you decide you want to do it, sye's cost a couple hundred bucks and a custom driveshaft is between $350-600.

The only thing that's 50%/50% is having to have a transfer case drop. Some people have to have them and others don't. The only way to know is to drive it after the lift. If you get vibes, you need it. As far as the physical install, it's very straight forward and you pretty much can't mess it up. I'd find another mechanic to install the lift if I didn't want to do it myself. There's no way in hell I'd spend 4k for a SUA 2.5" lift.
yeah thats what i was saying but its for like everything... front rear bumpers...lift kit...5 new wheels and five new rims plus install for 4000
dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #35
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

the reason my dad wants a shop to do it is because if something happens he wants to be able to go to them and be like its not driving right fix it....he has a 2010 lifted tacoma and he had it lifted somewhere else and it was like squeaking and rubbing where it wasnt supposed to and he took it back and they fixed it all for free so i think thats why he wants to get it done at a shop...not to mention we dont really have room to work on it being by the beach
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #36
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota123

yeah thats what i was saying but its for like everything... front rear bumpers...lift kit...5 new wheels and five new rims plus install for 4000
That explains why it's so expensive. You could still put together the OME kit and have them install it. If that's to much headache, buy the full kit and have them install it. What's 400 more dollars when you've committed to 4000 already?
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That explains why it's so expensive. You could still put together the OME kit and have them install it. If that's to much headache, buy the full kit and have them install it. What's 400 more dollars when you've committed to 4000 already?

I think that's what we are going to do
Unread 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

just got the new doors on. they are black but i dont think it looks too bad. the hard top will be on next week.
img_4250.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #39
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up going with 4wd 5inch kit i think it looks pretty nice still got more stuff to do like the inside and some lights.... but like how it turned out overall
ddddd.jpg   photo.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #40
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06
Let's see, springs, shocks, u-bolts, sye/cv combo, extended brake lines, some shims for the rear (or better yet cut off the old perches and weld on new ones where they need to be), better shackles.......and that's about all I can think of right now.

Not all kits suck, BDS and OME are nice, but you can most certainly look around and see what all comes in a 4" kit then shop around for all that stuff. I had a Rubicon Express 4" lift on my 95 YJ, I like it, but I wish I would have just cut off the spring perches and had new ones welded on at the correct angle. I broke shim pins more than once.

Here's what my old YJ looked like when I sold it:

It had MORE 5/8" boomerang shackles too.
What size tire was on your old yj?
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #41
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
they were stock... im not really sure ? maybe someone could answer that for you haha
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #42
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
just noticed u werent talking to me sorry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.