lifting yj...what do i get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lifting yj...what do i get?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

lifting yj...what do i get?

i just recently got a my first jeep. a stock 95 yj and have done some reading on the forum about lifting it. i dont really have any experience with what i need etc. I don't really want to get a kit because i have read that many of them are bad and that you should piece them together. I guess what i am asking is what are the pieces i need lol. and for around $1000 what could/should i do.

dakota123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

How high are you wanting, what size tires? Are tires included in that 1000 dollar limit (if so you're gonna come up short)? Etc. Etc.

(Need more info)

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota123 View Post
i just recently got a my first jeep. a stock 95 yj and have done some reading on the forum about lifting it. i dont really have any experience with what i need etc. I don't really want to get a kit because i have read that many of them are bad and that you should piece them together. I guess what i am asking is what are the pieces i need lol. and for around $1000 what could/should i do.
Welcome aboard, I see you're fairly new, so Ill get this out of the way before someone else says it:

Search is your friend. This is a topic that has been talked about over and over.

Fret not, even I am guilty of asking the same question (sort of). Now, on to answer your question. There are only two brands that you should consider:

OME (Old Man Emu) and BDS.

In the world of suspensions for Jeeps, there really are no others

As far as "what you'll need"...it all depends on how small (2.5") or how tall (6") you go. Plus, it depends on if you want to stay SUA (spring under axle) or SOA (no, not Sons of Anarchy, spring over axle).
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
How high are you wanting, what size tires? Are tires included in that 1000 dollar limit (if so you're gonna come up short)? Etc. Etc.

(Need more info)
i think around 4 inch is good and prob like 33 inch tires and lets say no tires and wheels are not included in the 1000.
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
Welcome aboard, I see you're fairly new, so Ill get this out of the way before someone else says it:

Search is your friend. This is a topic that has been talked about over and over.

Fret not, even I am guilty of asking the same question (sort of). Now, on to answer your question. There are only two brands that you should consider:

OME (Old Man Emu) and BDS.

In the world of suspensions for Jeeps, there really are no others

As far as "what you'll need"...it all depends on how small (2.5") or how tall (6") you go. Plus, it depends on if you want to stay SUA (spring under axle) or SOA (no, not Sons of Anarchy, spring over axle).
thanks. i honestly didnt really try the search i have been around motorcycle forums and stuff and most search bars SUCK! i did look at the thread on this page about "whats the best lift money could buy" and saw some good stuff like no rough country and that OME stuff is good but what i didnt get was what parts i will need to put together my own kit for a stock jeep and if its even possible for the amount of money i wanna spend.
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i got some of it but its confusing haha ive never lifted anything in my life...
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see, springs, shocks, u-bolts, sye/cv combo, extended brake lines, some shims for the rear (or better yet cut off the old perches and weld on new ones where they need to be), better shackles.......and that's about all I can think of right now.

Not all kits suck, BDS and OME are nice, but you can most certainly look around and see what all comes in a 4" kit then shop around for all that stuff. I had a Rubicon Express 4" lift on my 95 YJ, I like it, but I wish I would have just cut off the spring perches and had new ones welded on at the correct angle. I broke shim pins more than once.

Here's what my old YJ looked like when I sold it:

It had MORE 5/8" boomerang shackles too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lets look at this way, your 4" lift is basically going to affect 3 areas: suspension/steering, drive line, & brakes.

What You may or may not need.....

Suspension/steering:

-4 leaf springs (duh)
-New spring bushings (may or may not come with the springs you buy)
-New ubolts to attach springs to axle
-New main eye bolts (The old ones are likely seized in the metal sleeve of the bushing)
-Extended sway bar links (optional- most of us have ditched the sway bar)
-Track bar relocation brackets (also optional- they are tossed out more than the sway bar)
-Dropped pitman arm (some get by without it but its recommended)

Drive line:
You have 2 options to address the driveline angle problem created by your lift.
-Option 1- transfer case drop, homebrew drop for less than $20 or buy a kit $20-$30. This will affect your ground clearance a little as you now have lowered your skid plate an inch.

-Option 2 - SYE (slip yoke eliminator) this is the more desirable option but also more expensive. The kit is about $150? If you install it yourself and then you have to get a new drive shaft, aftermarket shaft is around $300 or you can buy a xj? Shaft and have it cut down and balanced, cost???
*****you'll need to use shims with either option unless like mentioned above, you cut the spring perches off & reweld at the proper angle. If you going to do that you might as well replace your dana 35 axle with a ford 8.8.
Brake lines:
also 2 options.....
-Option 1 - buy brake line extensions, cost depends on what type of lines you go with.

-Option 2 - re-route your old brake lines, plenty of slack in the stock brake lines for a 4" lift BUT you gotta be careful when bending the hardlines to re-route them.

Probably something i missed but it is 2am for crying out loud

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep108 View Post
Lets look at this way, your 4" lift is basically going to affect 3 areas: suspension/steering, drive line, & brakes.

What You may or may not need.....

Suspension/steering:

-4 leaf springs (duh)
-New spring bushings (may or may not come with the springs you buy)
-New ubolts to attach springs to axle
-New main eye bolts (The old ones are likely seized in the metal sleeve of the bushing)
-Extended sway bar links (optional- most of us have ditched the sway bar)
-Track bar relocation brackets (also optional- they are tossed out more than the sway bar)
-Dropped pitman arm (some get by without it but its recommended)

Drive line:
You have 2 options to address the driveline angle problem created by your lift.
-Option 1- transfer case drop, homebrew drop for less than $20 or buy a kit $20-$30. This will affect your ground clearance a little as you now have lowered your skid plate an inch.

-Option 2 - SYE (slip yoke eliminator) this is the more desirable option but also more expensive. The kit is about $150? If you install it yourself and then you have to get a new drive shaft, aftermarket shaft is around $300 or you can buy a xj? Shaft and have it cut down and balanced, cost???
*****you'll need to use shims with either option unless like mentioned above, you cut the spring perches off & reweld at the proper angle. If you going to do that you might as well replace your dana 35 axle with a ford 8.8.
Brake lines:
also 2 options.....
-Option 1 - buy brake line extensions, cost depends on what type of lines you go with.

-Option 2 - re-route your old brake lines, plenty of slack in the stock brake lines for a 4" lift BUT you gotta be careful when bending the hardlines to re-route them.

Probably something i missed but it is 2am for crying out loud

wow thank you sooo much that seriously helped a lot! now get some sleep!! haha
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
i think around 4 inch is good and prob like 33 inch tires and lets say no tires and wheels are not included in the 1000.
You should be able to piece together a 4" lift for well under $1k if you take your time and find the sources. Im getting ready to put a 2.5" lift on mine, using OME parts. By taking my time, Im basically going to be able to get the springs, bushings, and ubolts for around $600. If you can piece it together for around that amount, that leaves extra cash for the SYE and custom driveshaft. Its basically a requirement for 3"+ of lift. The other thing you'll need if you're going to 4"+ that Jeep108 didn't mention is new shocks. Factory ones just won't cut it .

Oh, if you're going to a 33" tire, ditch the d35 . You'll thank us later.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks. i honestly didnt really try the search i have been around motorcycle forums and stuff and most search bars SUCK! i did look at the thread on this page about "whats the best lift money could buy" and saw some good stuff like no rough country and that OME stuff is good but what i didnt get was what parts i will need to put together my own kit for a stock jeep and if its even possible for the amount of money i wanna spend.
copy and paste this into google search if you want to search these forums:

site:jeepforum.com/forum/f12 search words
replace 'search words' with what you want to search for.
This tells google to only search pages under that url. (yj forum)

parts you need for 3.5" or 4" lift using OME are
4 springs (36r)
3/4" or 1" lift shackles (don't go bigger than 1")
OME bushings
new sleeves for bushings
new bolts and nuts for shackles
8 ubolts

This is all assuming you have a SYE and CV driveshaft that you will probably need past 3.5" lift
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot shocks as well.

All the above should be around 650 or so.

REMOVE THE TRACK BARS! No buts, what-ifs, I heards, or anything else, just do it. whether you lift or not, just do it.
seriously contemplate removing the sway bar as well
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok so my dad and i decided to get a 2 inch lift instead of 4 inch lift.
this is what we are planning on putting on it as of now. My dad went over to 4 wheel parts and basically asked their opinion. (hopefully the links work) :

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...&t_pn=EXP51313

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...&t_pn=EXP50070

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...&t_pn=EXP51323

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...t_pn=EXP326510

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...t_pn=EXP322500

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T...pn=S%2fB76740D

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T...pn=S%2fB76651D

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...pn=PCW52-5865F

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/31x...GEN04568150000

will this be good enough for some offroading but mostly a daily driver because i am taking it back to PA to go to school so i gotta drive it over

also there was a yj install kit and rear axle shock that i couldn't find on the site.
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
copy and paste this into google search if you want to search these forums:

site:jeepforum.com/forum/f12 search words
replace 'search words' with what you want to search for.
This tells google to only search pages under that url. (yj forum)

parts you need for 3.5" or 4" lift using OME are
4 springs (36r)
3/4" or 1" lift shackles (don't go bigger than 1")
OME bushings
new sleeves for bushings
new bolts and nuts for shackles
8 ubolts

This is all assuming you have a SYE and CV driveshaft that you will probably need past 3.5" lift
thank you for the info i will do that
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i just found this too:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...L4+150+CID+GAS

what do you guys think

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.