lifting a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lifting a YJ

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
racinghoss
2000 TJ Wrangler 

lifting a YJ

I am a TJ guy and I know very little about lifting a YJ. However, a friend of mine drives a YJ and just picked up a brand new set of Rough Country 2" add-a-leafs for $25. Is this lift worth the time and effort? I have heard that they can cause problems like the springs breaking.

Anyone running these or similar?
Any tips to installation?
Like them or dont like them?

Thanks

racinghoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Green_Machine

I do not have any experience with those but if you have the $$ why not go for a 2" suspension lift? BDS and RE both make great kits for the 2"-2.5" range. I have the 2" BDS and love it, plus its a life time warranty on broken parts.

Just my 2 cents. If money is a concern you will spend $500 ish for the 2" BDS so I don't know if thats the way you want to go.

33" Dunlop Mud Rover Radials

2" BDS Suspension Lift

2" Performance Accessories BL

Green Jeep Club Member # 147!!

._______
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_)
Green_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've done some add a leaves, not hard pb blaster the centering pin to keep from breaking. Only bad thing i've heard from them is ride rougher. Cheap lift go for it.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
racinghoss
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy8350
I do not have any experience with those but if you have the $$ why not go for a 2" suspension lift? BDS and RE both make great kits for the 2"-2.5" range. I have the 2" BDS and love it, plus its a life time warranty on broken parts.

Just my 2 cents. If money is a concern you will spend $500 ish for the 2" BDS so I don't know if thats the way you want to go.
Read the post again. He already has the leafs, he picked them up brand new for $25 and is wondering if he should put them on. If he decides not to, I am sure that he can sell them for what he has in them. I dont think he is prepared to spend $500 on a lift right now since an axle swap is his first priority.

I wish he had internet access of his own!
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
mrclean

Aal

If you don't have the cash to do a lift kit, go with the add-a-leaves. It'll work OK, but I have to warn you; it'll ride like a rock.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
julesab

Are these long leaf or short leaf? I put in Pro Comp long leaf AAL's and I like them. With DT3000 shocks, it's doesn't ride that rough at all. If you're not gonna beat the hell out of them on the rocks, I say "Go For It".
My friend had short leaf AAL's on his CJ and it rode like a tank.

Jules
julesab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
racinghoss
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesab
Are these long leaf or short leaf? I put in Pro Comp long leaf AAL's and I like them. With DT3000 shocks, it's doesn't ride that rough at all. If you're not gonna beat the hell out of them on the rocks, I say "Go For It".
My friend had short leaf AAL's on his CJ and it rode like a tank.

Jules
They are short leafs. His YJ already rides like a tank (but remember that I have a TJ). He is interested in getting a little extra lift on there until later this summer when he will begin building in earnest. He would also replace the shocks (his are factory and 130K old), so maybe he will not notice such a large difference in ride quality .
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
94YJ H.O.

The shorter the leaf (generally) the higher the spring rate, so with the short leafs the ride will be much harder, with longer ones the spring rate is reduced and rides better (but remember your adding more spring rate to the existing springs, so its gonna ride harsher no matter what).

If he's just looking for a little bit of a lift, why not go with a 1 or 1 1/2 shackle lift? Cheap (was quoted under $100 for shackles and poly bushings from 4WParts earlier last week) and easy to do.

My NEW [url="http://www.rigrater.com"]RigRater[/url] Score: 406RRv1.0 with a BOA of 31.60
94YJ H.O. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinghoss
A friend of mine drives a YJ and just picked up a brand new set of Rough Country 2" add-a-leafs for $25. Is this lift worth the time and effort?
I hate to see new peope start out doing things half ***. Get a real lift and do it right the first time.
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
blowsox13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I hate to see new peope start out doing things half ***. Get a real lift and do it right the first time.

read his posts... this is just a temporary thing... the guy is gonna start building for real this summer
[B][COLOR=darkolivegreen]GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #117[/COLOR][/B]

Under 18 Jeep club member #11

[URL=http://scarletknights.com/vision/football/leonard.htm]All Aboard!!! Catch a ride on the L[/URL]
blowsox13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
skylinerider

I wouldn't use them if he's only gonna do it right in a few months. Getting lift I assume he wants bigger tires, and then it's not worth the time, aggrivation, and expense if it is going to be redone.

SKYLINERIDER.NET

If you can't taste the sarcasm try licking the screen.
skylinerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
racinghoss
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinerider
I wouldn't use them if he's only gonna do it right in a few months. Getting lift I assume he wants bigger tires, and then it's not worth the time, aggrivation, and expense if it is going to be redone.
It may be late summer before he would swap to another, better lift. Like I said, his 1st priority is getting rid of his D35 or a Super 35 kit.. He is expecting that to cost him around 2K, and I dont know how much money he plans to spend total (I think around 4k). He is not building a competition rock crawler, just a weekend toy to play with so save your "I am the god of all YJ's because I have a big lift." attitide. I am just asking these questions on his behalf trying to gather as much info and opinions, because as I said before, I know very little about lifting a YJ (I am a TJ and truck guy).

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Brock

[QUOTE=racinghoss]... so save your "I am the god of all YJ's because I have a big lift." attitide...QUOTE]

Do you think you will get any help spouting off like that? How old are you?
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #14
phlex234

we are offering you help, but you dnot seem to like the comments, its his money and he spent so tell him just put them on, and be happy, why get new shocks when you will have to when he lifts it even more, and u can t combine add a leaf with lifted springs.

[B]Jeep 2.5 Low Output club member #2
92 Red YJ, 3.5 Bds lift, 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, 33 in tires, long travel DT3000 shocks, m.o.r.e. 3/8 boomerang shackels, 4:56 gears, Tj flares, rock-it man front and rear bumper, Terraflex SYE and Tom Woods CV driveshaft, herculined tub, custom homemade rocker panels, powered by the almighty 4 cylinder[/B]

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155355]NEVER FORGET[/URL]
phlex234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
racinghoss
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK, no offense meant by the remark. It just gets old when people decide to answer the questions with remarks that are out of context. If he had the money and time (he is young and in the military and will be deployed all spring) to do a "real" lift, he would have already done it. However, he wants to get started and is considering using the cheap lift as a starting point. He has to do this in stages, not everyone has the money to go from stocker to monster in a weekend.

I will give more detail, maybe that will help. It sounds to me like his plan is to use these springs to allow for bigger tires (which gets the tire purchase out of the way), prolly only 31's, maybe 32's w/ a BL. I guess he will use these temporarily to run the larger tires while he gets his axle taken care of. After that I think he wants to run a BDS 3" lift. Therefore, he can buy shocks now that will work fine later with the BDS lift. (A set of shocks rated for 2-4" of lift, for example).

In the end, he has a sturdier axle, larger tires, and the BDS lift. At that point I am guessing that he can part with the AAL's and maybe even get back what he paid for them if he sells them. If he throws them away...he isnt out anything. Like I said, he is not building a competition buggy, just something to run some trails with and have some fun.

That better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.