Lifting my yj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifting my yj?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
wranglergirlyj

Lifting my yj?

Just got my yj, I had a cherokee and I'm new to the jeep world I wanna lift my jeep four inches, any suggestions on the cheapest way to lift my yj?

wranglergirlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your question, the cheapest 4" lift for a YJ is the Rough Country kit. It's cheap for a reason though. It rides rough and sags fast. Ask me how I know.

RC has a great warranty but you WILL have to use it.

My suggestion would be to spend a little bit more and piece together a set of 2.5" Old Man Emu springs and run them with some 5/8" shackles and a 1" BL if you want to be at 4". I went with the 4" RC kit and after a couple years I'm switching over to the setup described above.

BDS also makes some 3.5" springs that you would be very happy with. But if you just want to lift it on a budget and not worry about quality then RC is by far the way to go.

You can also think about other ways to fit bigger tires. Lifting is not your only option. You can do flat fenders or install TJ flares and trim the sheet metal to fit larger tires without as much lift. I went with TJ falres in the rear and flat fenders up front. The TJ falres are good for an inch or 2 and the flat fenders are probably goof for at least 3" of clearance.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
wranglergirlyj

Thanks for the advice, I went to a local shop to get information and none of the guys took me seriously with my jeep lifting questions I will definitely look into the options you suggested, it's my first project vehicle so I'm excited to learn!!
wranglergirlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You could get a SOA kit. With stock springs, it should put you at about 4 inches or so, Cheap too, just requires welding.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
You could get a SOA kit. With stock springs, it should put you at about 4 inches or so, Cheap too, just requires welding.
Stock springs with SOA should net 5" of lift over stock. There are a number of other things to be done if doing SOA properly. If you're looking for a good riding lift in the 4" range that flexes well, then go with the options presented for the OME or BDS lifts. You will not be disappointed with either.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Theres more than that goes into a SOA. A moderate SOA set up CORRECTLY will run at least 1,500. And OP, when doing 4in of lift you need to think about regearing, extended brake lines, SYE/DC, tires, lockers, axle swap, and labor....... If you have never been wheeling, I would suggest that you build your foundation, by starting with lockers and skid plates. As your ability increases your jeep should grow with you. If I didn't have to save for college, I would be putting lockers in it right now. IMHO a jeep that is tall and looks cool, but can't go anywhere because it doesn't have lockers is a waste of money....
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With 4 inches, I doubt you'd need axle swap, or regearing, or SYE/DC. I have 6 1/2 but my axle has shims to point the Pinion to the TC. Rides perfectly fine. I also have 35's and 4.11's but its also behind a 2.5L with 32's or 33's, around stock gearing with a 4.0 would be great, but a 2.5, it might give a bit of a trouble but not completely necessary to regear.
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
With 4 inches, I doubt you'd need axle swap, or regearing, or SYE/DC. I have 6 1/2 but my axle has shims to point the Pinion to the TC. Rides perfectly fine.
Just because you haven't had any problems with it doesn't mean it's done right. With a conventional two joint drive-shaft, the two yokes should be parallel to each other.

OP, You're looking for a Rough Country lift. Relatively cheap, and you shouldn't have any driveline issues with a t-case drop, and some shims. I'm pretty sure the kit comes with everything except for the shims, which would only run around $30.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
Just because you haven't had any problems with it doesn't mean it's done right. With a conventional two joint drive-shaft, the two yokes should be parallel to each other.
Well its lasted 100k miles. So I'd hope its done right.
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well its lasted 100k miles. So I'd hope its done right.
I seriously doubt the U-joint lasted 100k miles with it setup the way your describing. You should read up on this stuff a little bit before you go telling people how to set up their Jeeps.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko View Post
I seriously doubt the U-joint lasted 100k miles with it setup the way your describing. You should read up on this stuff a little bit before you go telling people how to set up their Jeeps.
Alright boss, I've seen tons of CJ and YJ's do it, aswell as many trucks. So, maybe everyone's doing it wrong? Beats me.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright boss, I've seen tons of CJ and YJ's do it, aswell as many trucks. So, maybe everyone's doing it wrong? Beats me.
and TONS of them go through ujoints annually.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #13
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There's a bunch of misinformation and completely bogus info here that I'd suggest not listening to some of the posters here unless you wanna build a piece of junk.

It should be obvious who's way off base - if not PM me.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess so. I feel like a real ******* for putting in a fixed yoke, and a cv driveshaft.

OP, refer to my previous post on the RC lift. from what you described, it seems like it's what you are looking for. If you plan on going higher, then plan on spending a good chunk of change correcting driveline issues.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.