lifting my jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lifting my jeep

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
millis1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

lifting my jeep

The front differential went in in 95 Rio grande, I got a hole new front end from my buddys parts jeep, I want to lift it while I have it all apar, my buddy wants me to just make new longer leaf spring shackles, like he did with his jeep, is this safe? And what else would have to be done with brake lines strearing parts?

Thanks ,
Mike

millis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It depends on how much lift you want. For lifting by shackles, don't go above 1.5in lift, which should be no longer than 7in total, in fact that maybe too long, I hope someone validates that. But lifting by shackles with worsen your bump steer. If you have the money to do a proper lift, then go ahead. OME and BDS are the best on the market, stay away from rough country. Many things go into lifting. What type of lift do you want to do? 2.0, 2.5, 3.0,3.5,4+ in.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

First pick a tire size, what kind of wheeling do you do? If it has alot of axle articulation you need to account for that. But if it is a DD and only ocassionaly sees offroad then a smaller lift with a bigger tire should be alright. But then pick a lift for how much room you need to tuck your tires, I'm looking to go with a BDS, 2.5in lift with 32s, but first I need to do something with that under powered 2.5L, I want to swap in something else first to spin the bigger tires and hopefully be able to keep it as a normal DD. But start with a schackle lift, their cheap, easy, and expandable, meaning that when you buy those schackles they'll work with any suspension you decide to run.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.