lift/tire dilemma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift/tire dilemma

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Varsity Tyler

lift/tire dilemma

alright - 93 Renegade with 250 000 kms/150 000 miles

Currently it sits on a set of 30x9.5 Kumho AT. The rims are the stock Renegade ones, 15x8 I think. (pic: http://public.fotki.com/VarsityTyler.../poser_04.html)

On flat (not negative) leaf springs front and back can I fit 31x10.5? I don't do hardcore trails - the Jeep is used mostly on pavement with the odd unassumed logging road and beginner trail thrown in. Flex isn't important. Rubbing at full steer is a minor concern. I think the backspacing is okay. Will they work?

I don't want to lift if I don't have to (read: I can't afford to lift it). If it turns out that I needed a tiny bit of space, would a small shackle lift help?

- Bestop bikini, tonneau and windjammer
- Smittybuilt euros
- Custom rear hitch
- Bosch lighting
- CD/iPOD deck, speakers and sub by Kenwood
Varsity Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
93Sahara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsity Tyler
alright - 93 Renegade with 250 000 kms/150 000 miles

Currently it sits on a set of 30x9.5 Kumho AT. The rims are the stock Renegade ones, 15x8 I think. (pic: http://public.fotki.com/VarsityTyler.../poser_04.html)

On flat (not negative) leaf springs front and back can I fit 31x10.5? I don't do hardcore trails - the Jeep is used mostly on pavement with the odd unassumed logging road and beginner trail thrown in. Flex isn't important. Rubbing at full steer is a minor concern. I think the backspacing is okay. Will they work?

I don't want to lift if I don't have to (read: I can't afford to lift it). If it turns out that I needed a tiny bit of space, would a small shackle lift help?

Do you already have the 31s? If you don't just go with the 30s, but otherwise a small shackle lift will get them on.
04 Pontiac Vibe ---Hers
93Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Varsity Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Sahara
Do you already have the 31s? If you don't just go with the 30s, but otherwise a small shackle lift will get them on.
have the 30x9.5 now. the tread is gettin low, so I figure that when I get new ones I might as well get something slightly larger if I can.
- Bestop bikini, tonneau and windjammer
- Smittybuilt euros
- Custom rear hitch
- Bosch lighting
- CD/iPOD deck, speakers and sub by Kenwood
Varsity Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Nice rig! I say the 31s will just fit, given you don't mind a bit of turning rub and don't need to flex often.

I'd say go for the 31s, and if they really don't fit, put in a shackle lift. I just put in a 1.25" shackle lift and would recommend it: added clearance and a smoother ride.

[COLOR=white]White Jeep [/COLOR] Club Member 33
prossett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
YeepJeep

31's will fit without a problem, I ran 31's on a flat leafed 89 with very little problems, and the renny came stock with 30's so another inch wont be a problem
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkred]Renegade Jeep Club member #1[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club Member #230[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

93 red Renegade, 2.5" lift, 31"Baja Claws, with more to come.
"It's a RENEGADE thing.... you wouldn't understand"
YeepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2004, 01:43 PM   #6
PBjeepster

Hi guys,

I'm having a similar dilemma, I have an 87 YJ, I'm running w/ no lift and 30 x 9.5 Bridge stones...

I would like to get a 2" shackle reversal, the go to 31's or 32's x 10...

Right now i have rubbing w/ a full turn, but only on the left side, so the reversal will fix this, tapped an oddly placed "parking stop thing". I heard that if i get the 10's I'll have rubbing and that spacers are bad... I'm not going to do any heavy off raod, just to the hard to reach paintball fields after the rain and such, so I would like to know if doing the 2" reversal is a good idea and if i go to the 10's how would I get rid of the rubbing w/ out spacers, if the are bad.

Oh one last thing... if i go w/ 32's do i have to get it regeared to keep the same speed and beter milage?

This is my first jeepo so please bear w/ me..

BTW, I have read alot of the posts here and you guyys have been very helpful in the past.

thanks,

Mike
PBjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
PBjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBjeepster
Hi guys,

I'm having a similar dilemma, I have an 87 YJ, I'm running w/ no lift and 30 x 9.5 Bridge stones...

I would like to get a 2" shackle reversal, the go to 31's or 32's x 10...

Right now i have rubbing w/ a full turn, but only on the left side, so the reversal will fix this, tapped an oddly placed "parking stop thing". I heard that if i get the 10's I'll have rubbing and that spacers are bad... I'm not going to do any heavy off raod, just to the hard to reach paintball fields after the rain and such, so I would like to know if doing the 2" reversal is a good idea and if i go to the 10's how would I get rid of the rubbing w/ out spacers, if the are bad.

Oh one last thing... if i go w/ 32's do i have to get it regeared to keep the same speed and beter milage?

This is my first jeepo so please bear w/ me..

BTW, I have read alot of the posts here and you guyys have been very helpful in the past.

thanks,

Mike
Anybody? I'm getting my other truck out of the shop and i would to get the Jeep in for the 2" lift and the orderthe tires and rims... trying to budget time and $
Unread 09-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
phlex234

if you do shackle reversal you need new front driveshaft and i t messes with steering not 1000% sure, it moves axle forward

[B]Jeep 2.5 Low Output club member #2
92 Red YJ, 3.5 Bds lift, 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, 33 in tires, long travel DT3000 shocks, m.o.r.e. 3/8 boomerang shackels, 4:56 gears, Tj flares, rock-it man front and rear bumper, Terraflex SYE and Tom Woods CV driveshaft, herculined tub, custom homemade rocker panels, powered by the almighty 4 cylinder[/B]

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155355]NEVER FORGET[/URL]
phlex234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
PBjeepster

^^ Thanks... I'll look into that.. I don't want to get caaught w/ having to spend money I'm not aware of when I drop it off!
Unread 09-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say you could comfortably run 31s with some extended shackles if they rub stock. For 32s you could probably fit them with the shackles and maybe a 1" body lift if you don't want to spend too much.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.