lift/t-case question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift/t-case question

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lift/t-case question

i saw the thread about vibs, and got to thinking. i dont exactly know what the transfer case is, is it the transmission shifter, the 4x4 shifter, both or what? so i believe if i understood this, then i would also be able to understand what everyone means by the vibs after the lift, and the tc drop kits etc.

my lift is going on saturday, my cousin [mechanic] is putting it on, and ill be there to do the b!+(h work. So i just want to understand all this stuff.

thanks

whitie_08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the transfer case is the aluminum box the drive shaft is going into, it connects to the tranny. When we say transfer case drop, we really mean dropping the entire transmission/tc skid plate. Sounds hard but its very easy. 6 bolts, 3 each side. TC drop kit will have a spacer of some type, could be rail, could be pucks and longer bolts. Put a floor jack under the center of the skid plate for the tranny/tc and loosen all the bolts. lower it down the distance of your tc drop, probably 1 ", put the spacer in and the longer bolts and tighten up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thank you very much.
whitie_08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You would be better off with a Slip yoke eliminator though. And depending on your lift you may end up really wanting one it you go off-roading much. I would suggest you read the FAQ and maybe some of the other stickies.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
brewer
2000 WJ 

just to clarify - when I look at the manual for removing the T-case - it states to drain fluid and put case in neutral before removing.

From how I read this, I am merely disconnecting the tranny / t-case from the flywheel, and thus not needing to drain fluid / place in neutral?

Or is the case drop just a method of dropping that big metal skid plate that the t-case is attached to?
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
brewer
2000 WJ 

ps - doing my lift install tonight after school... got my nice big shiny new 33s yesterday and they are pirty :P
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Your just lowering the skid so that your t-case is closer to the original height above the rear axle pinion.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
brewer
2000 WJ 

sweet - thanks
Unread 10-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

brewer, its good that your asking questions and trying to gain knowledge before u jump in.We are all in different stages of or jeep journey. And some day you will be giving advice to some other young apprentice.Good luck and enjoy!
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.