lift suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift suggestions

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
kodiak1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lift suggestions

I am doing a 4 inch spring lift on my yj. Should I go with a tranfer case drop kit or a sye??

kodiak1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Which lift? You'll how to see how it works on the jeep first.
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
DAjeep88

Depends on your budget to do it right go with sye but you can get away with t-case drop
DAjeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

why 4 inch springs 2 inch spings shackles and a small body lift will be a much better package. you can tummy tuck the t-case and gas tank and get better travel out of the lower lift height springs. IMO t-case drops are worthless wastes of time why lift a rig to lower your belly clearance
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
snip...IMO t-case drops are worthless wastes of time why lift a rig to lower your belly clearance
Agree with you 100%, but it could be used as a temporary solution to stagger upgrade costs...
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
kodiak1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK I already have a 4 lift that was given to me, so that is why 4 inch. Currently my jeep has a negetive lift as the stock springs are shot and actually bow down. I agree with the belly clearance the whole reason for a lift is to RAISE it up not lower a drag point. I was only asking because this is my first lift and I value my fellow jeepers opinions. Is a sye needed for the angle on the drive shaft or will I be able to get away with stock? OR will I have to put the lift on and then see what the angle is??
kodiak1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
OK I already have a 4 lift that was given to me, so that is why 4 inch. Currently my jeep has a negetive lift as the stock springs are shot and actually bow down. I agree with the belly clearance the whole reason for a lift is to RAISE it up not lower a drag point. I was only asking because this is my first lift and I value my fellow jeepers opinions. Is a sye needed for the angle on the drive shaft or will I be able to get away with stock? OR will I have to put the lift on and then see what the angle is??
for the most part this...... you will mnost likely need a SYe to properly do it.... as stated u can get away with a tcase crop for now..... SYe runs around 350.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a third option, you can also add a 1" motor mount lift to get the required angle. It's the route I plan to take next, I used some 1 1\4" scrap tubing as a temp. t-case drop until I can get them made up and installed. An sye is probably going in soon as well, as the benefits far out-weigh the cost imo irregardless of the lift height. I've begun the hunt for an 8.8, which should (will) seal the deal.
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before you get to far into spending $$$ take a look at the pics and then plan what you need to get the pinion angle correct. It can be done with or withou shims, T-case drops and MMLs. All depends on how she sits after the lift and you go to line up the shaft take a look at the pinion angle. Once you have that figured out you are good to go. and then how to get to the pinion angle you need. I inserted both the standard two joint (stock) shaft and a double cardan shaft for the SYE install.
2joint_angle.gif   cv_angle.gif  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I generally say do the HD SYE on any lift over 3". Why? Not so much b/c is is absolutely necessary, but b/c the YJ slip yoke is crap. And a HD SYE is the better way to go IMHO and you'll have a better/stronger Jeep b/c of it.
$.o2

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.