lift suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift suggestions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
kodiak1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lift suggestions

I am doing a 4 inch spring lift on my yj. Should I go with a tranfer case drop kit or a sye??

kodiak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Which lift? You'll how to see how it works on the jeep first.
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
DAjeep88

Depends on your budget to do it right go with sye but you can get away with t-case drop
DAjeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

why 4 inch springs 2 inch spings shackles and a small body lift will be a much better package. you can tummy tuck the t-case and gas tank and get better travel out of the lower lift height springs. IMO t-case drops are worthless wastes of time why lift a rig to lower your belly clearance
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
snip...IMO t-case drops are worthless wastes of time why lift a rig to lower your belly clearance
Agree with you 100%, but it could be used as a temporary solution to stagger upgrade costs...
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
kodiak1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK I already have a 4 lift that was given to me, so that is why 4 inch. Currently my jeep has a negetive lift as the stock springs are shot and actually bow down. I agree with the belly clearance the whole reason for a lift is to RAISE it up not lower a drag point. I was only asking because this is my first lift and I value my fellow jeepers opinions. Is a sye needed for the angle on the drive shaft or will I be able to get away with stock? OR will I have to put the lift on and then see what the angle is??
kodiak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
OK I already have a 4 lift that was given to me, so that is why 4 inch. Currently my jeep has a negetive lift as the stock springs are shot and actually bow down. I agree with the belly clearance the whole reason for a lift is to RAISE it up not lower a drag point. I was only asking because this is my first lift and I value my fellow jeepers opinions. Is a sye needed for the angle on the drive shaft or will I be able to get away with stock? OR will I have to put the lift on and then see what the angle is??
for the most part this...... you will mnost likely need a SYe to properly do it.... as stated u can get away with a tcase crop for now..... SYe runs around 350.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a third option, you can also add a 1" motor mount lift to get the required angle. It's the route I plan to take next, I used some 1 1\4" scrap tubing as a temp. t-case drop until I can get them made up and installed. An sye is probably going in soon as well, as the benefits far out-weigh the cost imo irregardless of the lift height. I've begun the hunt for an 8.8, which should (will) seal the deal.
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before you get to far into spending $$$ take a look at the pics and then plan what you need to get the pinion angle correct. It can be done with or withou shims, T-case drops and MMLs. All depends on how she sits after the lift and you go to line up the shaft take a look at the pinion angle. Once you have that figured out you are good to go. and then how to get to the pinion angle you need. I inserted both the standard two joint (stock) shaft and a double cardan shaft for the SYE install.
2joint_angle.gif   cv_angle.gif  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I generally say do the HD SYE on any lift over 3". Why? Not so much b/c is is absolutely necessary, but b/c the YJ slip yoke is crap. And a HD SYE is the better way to go IMHO and you'll have a better/stronger Jeep b/c of it.
$.o2

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.