Lift shackle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift shackle

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Rhino92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Lift shackle

I've got a 92 yj and I am thinking about doing a 2" shackle lift to give me more tire clearance. My stock fender flares rub on the 31x10.50. Has anyone done this and are there any thing I need to pay close attention to. I would be leaving everything stock except for the shackles.

Rhino92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

A 1" shackle lift will clear 31" tires. Try also cutting your fender flares with an exacto knife
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

2" is way too much shackle lift.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rhino92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. I am looking at upgrading to some 33 inch tires. So can you explain why 2 inches is to much.
Rhino92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino92
Ok. I am looking at upgrading to some 33 inch tires. So can you explain why 2 inches is to much.
It rotates the axle throwing the driveline angles and steering geometry out of whack. The longer the shackle, more the rotation and this the more out of spec your steering gets.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

2 inch shackles throw off the castor angle of the axle. That's the imaginary axis that your wheels pivot. It will cause terrible bumpsteer and you'll wish you wouldn't have installed them. Trust me. 1" is the limit.

You can do a 1" body lift with your 1" shackle lift and do some serious cutting on your fenders and possibly be able to fit 33's.
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on your experience level and budget.....you have some options.
I'm currently running 33's with absolutely no rubbing or clearance issues and i did 3 easy mods.
First was (some people hate it) a 2" body lift. I personally like BL's because it allows me cheap clearance and ability to get to almost anything to work on it.
Second was TJ flares. I like the look of them and it really opens up the wheel wells allowing even more clearance.
Third was the "S-10 Bastard Pack" mod. This one is a little more labor intensive. My springs were flat and lifeless. My jeep rides so much better now and it gained me another 1.75 to 2" of lift. you may or may not have to do a T-case drop or Slip yoke eliminator with this one.
These are the things i did to my YJ and i'm pretty happy with the performance. You can find all the answers you need and some you didn't know you needed here..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...s-here-580536/

Hope this helps at least some.
Don
Unread 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
mekken
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't do it. I bought them thinking they were a cheap lift and wound up with broken rear springs from the stress on them. If that wasn't enough the ride was horrible. Like others said i wouldn't go higher than 1". It's goofy as hell looking to. This lasted about a month before I bought a rc lift kit cause of the springs. look how far foward the rear wheel is. the foward spring eye snapped on both springs's shoving the whole axle foward.
2009-09-09-17.42.57.jpg   2009-09-09-18.06.24.jpg  
mekken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

1" shackles, 1" BL Trim the flares....
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekken View Post
Don't do it. I bought them thinking they were a cheap lift and wound up with broken rear springs from the stress on them. If that wasn't enough the ride was horrible. Like others said i wouldn't go higher than 1". It's goofy as hell looking to. This lasted about a month before I bought a rc lift kit cause of the springs. look how far foward the rear wheel is. the foward spring eye snapped on both springs's shoving the whole axle foward.
DUDE!!!! that is a badass parking job!! look at those skid marks, right in to the slot.

the second picture ruins the cool skidding effect of hte first picture though because of hte tire tracks under the jeep
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So a person can do a 1" shackle lift with absolutely no mods what's so ever. No drops including pitman arm etc? Or ds angles?
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
So a person can do a 1" shackle lift with absolutely no mods what's so ever. No drops including pitman arm etc? Or ds angles?
Correct. 1" lift, regardless of way obtained doesn't require a DPA or t-case drop.

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
wayno32m

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
1" shackles, 1" BL Trim the flares....
x 2 Thats what i did for the 31"s then I could`nt stop it`s a DISEASE next is the 8.8 sitting in the garage !!!!
wayno32m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.