Lift questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift questions

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northinger View Post
I did look at their 2" and 4" im lean more towards the two inch. Im thinking thats the way to go. With that being said whats needed for the 2" lift, do i need to drop the tcase change drive angles or what?
On a 2" lift you may get away without a tcase drop. Some springs come with shims to tilt rear axle toward the tcase hoping to correct the driveline angle. Although some spring companies use the same spring for front and rear applications so you have to order shims separately. It would not hurt to get a drop because most good springs tend to lift jeeps alittle higher than advertised height.

Unread 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj13 View Post
On a 2" lift you may get away without a tcase drop. Some springs come with shims to tilt rear axle toward the tcase hoping to correct the driveline angle. Although some spring companies use the same spring for front and rear applications so you have to order shims separately. It would not hurt to get a drop because most good springs tend to lift jeeps alittle higher than advertised height.
OME come with shims already installed. Still had a slight vibration. I noticed the slight vibration killed my fuel mileage as well as not good for u joints. I experimented with different size transfer case drops. I was able to use 1/2 inch spacers and it got rid of the vibration completely. I don't like spacers though, so a SYE is in my future. And you are right, I got more than 2.5 inches of lift.
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
OME come with shims already installed. Still had a slight vibration. I noticed the slight vibration killed my fuel mileage as well as not good for u joints. I experimented with different size transfer case drops. I was able to use 1/2 inch spacers and it got rid of the vibration completely. I don't like spacers though, so a SYE is in my future. And you are right, I got more than 2.5 inches of lift.
Yeah when my 4" rc spring were still 4" springs everytime I took the hardtop off I got nasty driveline vibrations to a point I did end up blowing a ujoint. I have a drop and shims now and got rid of vibrations when the rc springs sagged. Since replacing the springs though the vibs came back. I will have to invest in a sye kit myself.
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I think I will eventually get the zone 2" lift. As for these vibrations, is it possible to get that without any lift? My shifter in gear had a ton of vibration and almost rocks front to back slightly
Northinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #20
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have bad motor and/or trans mounts.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i havn't heard anyone ask yet.

what size tires are you planning on running, 33"s?

prothane 1" taller body mounts (not 1" lift pucks, these are full 1" longer mounts) $150
1/2"-1" lift shackles. $75
add a leaf from a junkyard s-10 $25 (depending on the salvage yard this should give you 1"-1.5".) or 2.5" lift springs $400.
zj front driveshaft from same salvage yard $25 (make sure it's one with the double cardan joint)
SYE kit $200
buddy that's is capable of not screwing up cutting the DS to length and welding it back together $0

this will get you a decent start on getting 33"s under your jeep, minus the price of the tires and rims of course.

if you are daring and don't mind using a sawzall on your tub...
get some used tj rear flares, cut the tub to accept them, put on a set of tube front fenders, and you will definitely have room for 33"s possibly 34"s or 35"s. that is if you do this in addition to what i suggested above.

i have never been a huge fan of boxed lifts. i did all of the above to my jeep except the s-10 add a leaves, which is probably in my future. i went spring over and cutting of the body to fit 37"s.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How can i tell if the trans mounts are bad?
Northinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Take a pry bar and see how much movement you have. Or drop the skid and remove and see if the rubber is separating.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

QUOTE=Northinger;14935107]Okay so before I get bashed by everyone and their mother on this topic, yes I did search this forum as well as google. I could not find the exact questions Im asking, if you do please by all means point me in that direction, but I would rather have MY questions answered before spending the money.

Anyways I am considering getting a RC lift, I've heard many mixed opinions of them. This will be a daily driver aswell as light play in the woods. Im pretty much stock now so anything I can do now i don't really ask more from the RC as far from aesthetics. Im currently running 30" but don't plan on going bigger than 31's. I heard so many things, but being on a budget, this is in my price, but i don't want to waste money on crap. Ive heard they didn't do well as far as flex, I'm not looking for crazy flex, but I do want a somewhat smooth ride. Ive also heard they sag easily, but some people say they don't. Im only really loading up with a hardtop, spare tire, and winch.[/QUOTE]

really cause Iv only heard bad reviews, even ppl who say its not 'that bad' still cant say its good, or even decent

like everyone said OME or BDS, i run OME...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Been there, done that. Spent 6 months researching before I pulled the trigger on my OME lift. DAMN GLAD I DID! Best lift I've ever put on, seen, or ridden on. Bar none!

I did a transfer case drop just because I didn't want to risk a driveshaft disconnect (been there too). It was cheap insurance.

As for price, I don't know where you're coming up with $1,000+ for OME. I was under $800 through Morris 4x4 - complete.

4 - springs (approx $100 ea)
4 - shocks (Rancho RS5000 - approx $50 ea)
1 - steering stabilizer (Rancho - approx $50)
4 - OME bushing sets ($30 a spring)

That's $770 for the whole setup (plus transfer case kit and shipping)

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.