Lift questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift questions

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lift questions

Okay so before I get bashed by everyone and their mother on this topic, yes I did search this forum as well as google. I could not find the exact questions Im asking, if you do please by all means point me in that direction, but I would rather have MY questions answered before spending the money.

Anyways I am considering getting a RC lift, I've heard many mixed opinions of them. This will be a daily driver aswell as light play in the woods. Im pretty much stock now so anything I can do now i don't really ask more from the RC as far from aesthetics. Im currently running 30" but don't plan on going bigger than 31's. I heard so many things, but being on a budget, this is in my price, but i don't want to waste money on crap. Ive heard they didn't do well as far as flex, I'm not looking for crazy flex, but I do want a somewhat smooth ride. Ive also heard they sag easily, but some people say they don't. Im only really loading up with a hardtop, spare tire, and winch.

Northinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ive seen all those questions before. Ha. RC is crap. It will sag no matter what and you will not get a smooth ride with them.

Buy the springs individually and go with Old Man Emu, BDS or Rubicon Express.
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did the whole RC thing with my yj. I did not like it and finally replace them with zone's 4" springs. The rc springs will more than likely sag with the added weight such as hardtop, winch, bumpers etc. The springs are simply not designed to hold excess weight it seems. Heck my old 4" rc springs barely held up to a hardtop and 4.0 engine. Zone sells a 2" yj spring lift not too much higher in price than rough country's stuff. Check that out before going any further on a lift. Your doing a smart thing and research, because I sure did not research on lifts and jumped on the rough country price bandwagon. Never again I will do that.
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Skip RC and go with OME, BDS or even rubicon express.
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not to sound like a cheap *** but RE and OME are outta my price range. Its about 1000$, which is as much as i paid for the yj haha.
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I installed an RC lift over a year ago and I can most definitely say it is terrible. It is a waste of time and money. The ride is very bouncy and just overall uncomfortable. First time I drove it I thought I was going to bounce right off the road. Then again, my tires were too pumped up and my springs were over torqued. Letting some air out of the tires and loosing up the springs helped A LOT but I'm still looking to swap it out for OME or something comparable, like the one's mentioned earlier. The only good thing that came out of the RC lift is the removal of all the rusty hardware. Now it'll be much easier to install the new lift. Thanks RC!! : D

The cool thing about OME is that you can buy the parts for your lift over time. You don't have to shell out all the cash right away. That's what I'm doing. Buy the springs from http://www.jeep4x4center.com/arb/old...rangler-yj.htm they have free shipping on anything over $100. Buy a couple springs this month and the other two next month or when funds allow. Either buy the OME shocks or some Bilsteins. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...3/media/images Wow, look at that, free shipping!
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Folks on this forum sale suspension parts pretty frequently. If you can't afford a lift from a quality company just be patient and buy it used.
I sold my rubicon express 4in lift for 300 bones.
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northinger
Not to sound like a cheap *** but RE and OME are outta my price range. Its about 1000$, which is as much as i paid for the yj haha.
That's why I said buy the springs individually.
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. OME 36r springs are less than $100 apiece.
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northinger View Post
see... there ya go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Yeah. OME 36r springs are less than $100 apiece.
fwiw... ALL Jeepers are on a budget.
But if you indeed did search, you should have also read 'you get what you pay for' and 'you'll end up paying for it twice', 'do it right the first time', ect. ect.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I bought OME separately. Fronts were $78, rears were 90 something. You asked for opinions, you got them. Rough Country is just that... Rough. Rough on the Jeep, rough on your body. If you need to do a transfer case drop, temporarily use half an inch of washers until you can afford to do it right.

Sometimes saving money end up costing more.

"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory" Aldo Gucci-

"Quality is doing it right when no one is looking" Henry Ford-
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ive heard good things about zone's products. Any opinions? Thats definitely in my budget.
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northinger View Post
Ive heard good things about zone's products. Any opinions? Thats definitely in my budget.
I see. Did you go on their site and take a look at their lift? Im running the 4" zone springs on my yj and they flex great, ride smoother right out the box. That being said their parent company runs bds too. BDS as you can tell already is very reputable on here heck I almost committed to bds as a replacement spring for the rc stuff. The thing about zone and bds, bds you get a great warranty while zone I don't know about their warranty policies. Only a few yjs on here including me runs their stuff and so far enjoys the product. Every company's rep starts ups with the consumers personal experience with them. Rough country's bad rep began with bad experiences among the consumers while Bds, OME, RE reputation is highly praised because the satisfaction they bring to jeepers who run them. If your on budget I wouldn't rule zone out, but thats just me.
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Northinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did look at their 2" and 4" im lean more towards the two inch. Im thinking thats the way to go. With that being said whats needed for the 2" lift, do i need to drop the tcase change drive angles or what?
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM

see... there ya go.

fwiw... ALL Jeepers are on a budget.
But if you indeed did search, you should have also read 'you get what you pay for' and 'you'll end up paying for it twice', 'do it right the first time', ect. ect.

WRM
Yup, I'm one of those guys. I heard the grumblings of how poor quality RC is. But I knew someone that was running them and said it wasn't that bad. It was in my price range and I wanted a lift. So $1200 later (4 inch RC lift, black soft 8 wheels, 33x10.5R15 BFG AT tires) I realized I had gears that are too small to turn those big tires (not sure if I have 3.07 or 3.55 gears - I did axel test, it came out to be what I thought was 3.07 but I recently asked for a build sheet from Jeep and they are claiming I have 3.55 gears) and I really didn't like the ride quality. Did I mention that after 6 months my left rear end started to sag? I guess the new and improved RC is not so improved.

So now I am looking to get the OME lift because it has a good rep and I can buy the parts a little at a time. Money does not grow on trees around these parts. If I had done this right the first time, I could be making more head way on other upgrades but, no, I'm stuck back tracking and redoing a lift.

Trust me, do it right the first time. You don't want to be in my shoes. I would skip the Zone lift and save up for OME. They have a better track record. Zone doesn't really have a long history. The BDS 2 inch lift isn't a bad price range, though. It's cheaper than OME, $200-$300 cheaper.
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.