lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift question

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
92yjjeeper

lift question

I have a yj with 3in body lift and 1 1/4 shackles. I want to add a suspension lift to it. 1 is it possible and 2 I'm planning to price the lift on a cheap budget. What would I need I already have 4in lift leaf springs what else do I need?

92yjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This question has been asked so many times and the answers are always the same.

Do a search then you will be able to ask more detailed questions.

The two things you need to answer first are:

1. What is your goal for the lift

2. What size tires are you wanting to run

Answer those and you will start getting some good answers.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^ my thoughts also ! Look through the FAQ's, lots of great info there.
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
92yjjeeper

Sorry guys I'm new to the site..I'm running 33x12.5x15..don't really have a goal as I do not drive it much just a little offroading here and there I just want to go higher
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

"92"- welcome to the best forum on the interweb. You will find many folks here with a vast amount of knowledge. The more you read and educate yourself, well, just start reading. Sure, we all get stumped occasionally, owning a jeep is a learning experience and a life style.
Always remember- safety first. before adding more height to your ride, is it ready for it ?
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
92yjjeeper

Well the leaf springs needs to be replaced they are flat so I figured since I need the leaf spring I should just lift it
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yjjeeper View Post
I have a yj with 3in body lift and 1 1/4 shackles. I want to add a suspension lift to it. 1 is it possible and 2 I'm planning to price the lift on a cheap budget. What would I need I already have 4in lift leaf springs what else do I need?
It is possible, but you do realize that all this combined will make for 8.25" of lift? IMHO, that is hella stupid high for only 33" tires on a vehicle that doesn't see much off roading. The 4" springs alone would fit the 33" tires, and look more proportional and have a more stable center of gravity.

My suggestion: Put in the 4" suspension lift, ditch the huge body lift, and ditch the huge shackles. Be prepared to do a slip yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft, extend brake lines, and optionally install a sway bar disconnect.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The part that scares me is the "on a cheap budget" part.

OP, while I can appreciate being fiscally responsible, cheap lifts are cheap for a reason. When you put lift springs on you also need to replace the bushings (typically not included) and put on longer travel shocks (also not included). For 4" lift springs you also need a drop pitman arm to keep the steering geometry correct as well as a transfer case (tc) drop or Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) kit and a new Constantly Variable (CV) rear drive shaft. If you don't put in a tc drop when you do a 4" lift, you WILL have a rear drive shaft disconnect sooner than later. The SYE kit and CV drive shaft eliminate the need for the tc drop giving you greater under belly clearance. Also, when you lift that far, your brake lines will now be too short to allow slack at full flex. The axles are stronger than the brake lines. When flexing on the trail, you have the potential to blow a brake line creating a very dangerous situation.

The "all inclusive" kits are rarely that. They're also rather vanilla in their components. The best way to lift is to piece a system together based upon what you plan to do, where you plan to go, how you plan to wheel and what size tires you will eventually be running.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
92yjjeeper

If I just replace my worn out leaf springs..how.much extra will it bring the jeep up? The leaf springs do have to be replaced cause they are flat.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You'll likely get 1/2-1" of lift just by replacing springs, but you're still going to have to replace the bushings. Don't forget the bushings. Crown makes the OEM replacement spring.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92yjjeeper View Post
If I just replace my worn out leaf springs..how.much extra will it bring the jeep up? The leaf springs do have to be replaced cause they are flat.
It should lift it like a inch or so is what I'm thinking
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
92yjjeeper

Yea I was planning on doing the bushings for the springs also. Funny thing is my uncle just put a 4in skyjacker lift and he has 33s I just want to be higher then him again. Thats my main goal lol
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Beat him with your skill. Although, if you have the original springs, the 3" body lift and 1 1/4" shackles aren't helping you.

Unread 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
92yjjeeper

I just need that extra little bit. We are about even height even if I'm a hair taller that's all that matters ha..hopefully yous can understand were I'm coming from. We both do a lot of ball busting
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
britrider
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My advice, if you're on a budget and this is (likely) your daily driver: buy another jeep that's already lifted and sell yours. You'll never get out of your jeep what you put into it, and I am seeing (in my area, at least... KC, MO) lifted YJs for between 4-6k. Assuming your jeep is not a pile, you should be able to get about 3500-5k out of it, depending on condition. Sell it, and buy one that's had the parts thrown at it. Let me repeat, this is ONLY if you're truly on a budget and want a bigger jeep.

The thing I can't square is, if you're on a budget, then the bigger you go, the more expensive it becomes to operate and maintain your jeep. I assume you've thought this through.

If selling your jeep is not an option, then as others have said, ditch the pos body lift, get a set of 4" springs, and be prepared to spend the dough on new shocks, new front (and probably rear) brake lines, and a weekend's worth of work putting it all together. You can probably get by with the stock rear driveshaft, if you don't do a lot of off-roading.

Best of luck to you.
britrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.