Lift in progress ... Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift in progress ... Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lift in progress ... Help!

Hey guys. Hoping y'all can give me some pointers.

Spent all day attempting to install a 2.5" rubicon express lift on my '93. I'm putting on a pieces together kit, mostly re stuff (springs bushing ubolts) with besrk 1/2" booms.

I've got all track bars off and all shocks off. But I'm stuck on getting my first corner buttoned up. Working on the front drivers side. I can get the rear spring bolted to the eye and the front bolted to the shackle. But when I go to raise the center and attempt to attach the ubolts the center pin on the spring doesn't align with the hole on the bottom of the axle.

I've read through the walk throughs and I've tried different combinations and using a come along to try and move stuff into position but no luck. Tomorrow I'm thinking of just dropping the front axle mounting the springs to it then roll it under and attach the springs to the frame. Is that a better way to go or is there a magic way to get these things to fit?

Thanks for any suggestions! And sorry for the long post.

frorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It might be that the center pin doesn't fit in the perch. Or do you mean it's too far in distance from the hole?

What would Que do?
ROTTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is your pass side still attached ?
Richard_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

put the axle on jackstands. hook both new springs up at the frame side, then the shackle side(with the axle higher and not touching. then lower it down onto the springs. easier if the tires are off but not required
The_Goob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

While I didn't check to see if it fit. It looks like an alignment issue, not a size issue.

Yes I still have my passenger side attached. I'm thinking if I loosen that side I will be able to manipulate the axle better. Thoughts?

Thaks
Unread 04-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah.....thats your problem. you cant have the old stuff still attached and expect the other side to line up. you also cant bolt down one side before the other is in place. put jackstands under the frame and do it all at once. heres how mine went. set it on there and let it hang then worry about ubolts.
The_Goob is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

yup. break everything down on both sides before putting the new on. Getting everything lined up was actually pretty easy for me, though I did have a buddy help me. So one of us was looking at the hole while the other worked the axle into position for it to drop. and like they save above, dont make anything tighten up any of the bolts until you have both sides on and definitely don't torque anything until you are back on all 4's. Good luck.
Custom Crossrails,Thule Ski/Snowboard Rack,
Silverstar Ultra H-13, Cobra 75 CB Radio W/ 2' Firestik
Relm 8125 Fire/EMS UHF/VHF Radio

1989 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 15x8's surrounded by 33x10.5 BFG's
Sagerist is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Thanks for the info and pics. I'll give that a shot this afternoon. Had my buddy over last night but gonna try it solo now
Unread 04-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got it! Thanks. Now a new question.
I'm installing new bilstein shocks. When I try and screw in the top the internal rod spins with it. There doesn't seem to be any grab points and don't really want to put on a pipe wrench. Suggestions??
Unread 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

There's an allen key hole on top. Find the right size, stick in there and then torque it down with a regular old wrench.
Custom Crossrails,Thule Ski/Snowboard Rack,
Silverstar Ultra H-13, Cobra 75 CB Radio W/ 2' Firestik
Relm 8125 Fire/EMS UHF/VHF Radio

1989 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 15x8's surrounded by 33x10.5 BFG's
Sagerist is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh! On top! Thanks
Unread 04-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright boys, you havn't left me hanging, don't fail me now! Finished up the rear end tonight. Was installing the shocks back there and it seems when I mount them with the can down and sleeve up, the can hits my old track bar mount when i try and mount it.

I've read on here that the bilsteins can be mounted "upside down" but if I can't do that either. The bottom bushing has a metal sleeve that doesn't allow it to slide over the top mounting bolt. Has anyone else had these issues? If so what did ya'll do?

I was thinking about trying to pull the metal sleeve and swap it but didn't want to screw anything up. Figured I would ask y'all first. Thanks!
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got a press and some sockets??? It takes a little work but I punched mine out of some 5100s and swapped. Shocks work just fine.

I had a helper and a small 10 ton press I think and in 15 minutes we had it.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #14
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorge View Post
Alright boys, you havn't left me hanging, don't fail me now! Finished up the rear end tonight. Was installing the shocks back there and it seems when I mount them with the can down and sleeve up, the can hits my old track bar mount when i try and mount it.

I've read on here that the bilsteins can be mounted "upside down" but if I can't do that either. The bottom bushing has a metal sleeve that doesn't allow it to slide over the top mounting bolt. Has anyone else had these issues? If so what did ya'll do?

I was thinking about trying to pull the metal sleeve and swap it but didn't want to screw anything up. Figured I would ask y'all first. Thanks!
The shock itself will be labeled which side goes up.
Unread 04-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #15
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorge View Post
Cut off the track bar mount...you don't need it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.