To lift or not to lift....this is the question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To lift or not to lift....this is the question.

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-14-2001, 01:36 AM   #1
Keymaster

To lift or not to lift....this is the question.

Just looking for some advice from some Jeep enthusiasts. I just got my 91 Wrangler about a month and a half ago and I LOVE IT! It is a 6 cyl., 5-speed and right now it has 15x8 inch wheels with 31x10.5 inch tires. I'll be frank....I'm not an off roader. The only time I'll be off-road is when I go to the outer banks to four-wheel down the beach for some surf fishing (which I've already done once this year and I had a blast!) I do however want to add some beef to my Jeep. From what I've seen on the web, you can fit a 33 inch tire on my size wheel. What is the least amount of lift I would need to squeeze these on? I'm also concerned about other modifications I've seen as far as drive shaft angles and so-forth. I don't want to go bigger than 33's because I know that will mean LOTS of mods. I'm a newbie with Jeeps but I'm trying to familiarize myself best I can before I make any adjustments. I've also seen a Jeep at my work that went for a much wider and lower profile tire/wheel combo that looked pretty good (looked like a 15x12 inch wheel). There was no lift, but it made his Jeep look stocky. Even if you don't much about lift kits, I'd love to know your comments about what kind of set-ups you have and how you like them. Thanks!

Looking for a YJ!
Keymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2001, 02:31 AM   #2
Jeepaholic

You essentially have five lift options:

1) Body Lift
2) Shackle Lift
3) Spring Lift
4) SOA
5) Combination of the above

#1 will let you fit bigger tires, is the cheapest, but won't net you any ground clearance. You won't have to worry about drivetrain modificaitons at all. For you, this might be a good option. Don't go over a 2" body lift.

#2 Will let you fit bigger tires, is cheap as well, and will net you a little more ground clearance. You may notice some steering/handling issues after installation of this and should probably get wedges to shim your axle back to the right location afterwards. Do not get shackles that are over 2" longer than stock.

#3 Will let you fit bigger tires, but are typically not cheap and require lots of mods that sometimes include drivetrain mods (typically lifts > 4"). You will notice a difference in ride, handling could be affected. For your needs, I wouldn't bother.

#4 No.

#5 Is a possibility for you. I'd go with a 2" body lift and see where that puts you...if it's not enough maybe get a small shackle lift to accompany it.

Again, since you're not wheeling it any - these are my recommendations. If you were wheeling it, they'd be much different.

[SIZE=1][url="http://www.jeepaholics.com"]Jeepaholics Anonymous[/url]
[url="http://www.broncoholics.com"]Broncoholics Anonymous[/url]
[/SIZE]
Jeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2001, 10:06 AM   #3
Cody_91YJ

If your trying to keep this cheap.
I'd say go with an "Add-A-Leaf" lift along
with a 2" body. But a 4" suspension lift would probably work best in your case.

I wouldn't recommend a shackle lift without a suspension lift because your going to get the old "Snowplow" effect and it would look really goofy. A 3" body lift wouldn't be too bad in your case. Since you'll still be fairly low to the ground it would be hard to notice the gap, and since you won't be wheeling it hard, you won't have to worry about the weaknesses (if any) of the 3".
Unread 05-17-2001, 01:04 PM   #4
bobtheshrew

You both sound like you have great advise to give. And I know that the offroader will have a different setup than the non-offroader (it's cool though Keymaster, jeeps still rock) and I'd like to hear what you have to say about the offroad mods that you'd recomend.

I have a straight 6 stick shiftin' '92 islander YJ, I got 31's on it now and they're startin to rub due to the original leafs starting to sag. I'm so damn eager to lift it and get that juicy atriculation everybody loves. I will be off roading, lots of dirt, mud and rocks. What would you reccomend? I'm looking for a kit and I'd like to keep it moderatly priced but I can still spend some bucks for the ride.
bobtheshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2001, 02:45 PM   #5
bobtheshrew

After doing a little more 'net research I've found this page: http://www.undrground.org/jeep/tech/lift/ An islander, that's my jeep! This guy had little trouble installing (rust is a *****) but after looking about some more, Superlift looks like a possibility and it seems to run in the $600 range for 3.5in, $400 for the 1.5in version. Comments?
bobtheshrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.