To lift or not to lift???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To lift or not to lift????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
You can get 4 - 36R (Heavy Duty) OME springs for ~$500 shipped and they ride great. I fit 32's fine and have tons of room for flex. Stock U-bolts will reach fine, just depends how boogered they are. It's the brake lines you have to worry about.

You may or may not need a t-case drop... but if you do, do it yourself. There are plenty of write ups on how to do your own. If you're lazy like I was, I bought the Skyjacker t-case drop for $40.00.

I hear good things about Bilstein 5100s, and I'm going to order some once my Jeep gets on the road again.
DO NOT REUSE U_BOLTS. When torqued correctly they stretch a little. Reusing them can cause catastrophic failures like stopping and the watch your axle go by you

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post

DO NOT REUSE U_BOLTS. When torqued correctly they stretch a little. Reusing them can cause catastrophic failures like stopping and the watch your axle go by you
I don't know about that. I reused mine and haven't had a problem. Lift has been on almost year. Nearly 10,000 road miles and over 100 wheeling hours on 'em since the lift and they're just fine.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I don't know about that. I reused mine and haven't had a problem. Lift has been on almost year. Nearly 10,000 road miles and over 100 wheeling hours on 'em since the lift and they're just fine.
I would say you are lucky. I would risk my safety over $30 worth of U-Bolts though

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What is your reference for this?

By definition the torquing of a bolt stretches it a bit. True torque is measured by length to determine tension, but it is not always possible, so we measure bolt tightness in leu of.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpete View Post
What is your reference for this?

By definition the torquing of a bolt stretches it a bit. True torque is measured by length to determine tension, but it is not always possible, so we measure bolt tightness in leu of.
My reference is common sense mixed with the way we trat other highload hardware. When you stretch a bolt torqueinging it the first time you are doing what it was designed for. But when you then restretch it torquing it the second time the metal will start to fateage and get weaker and weaker. Not to mention those u bolts are normally rather old on top of it. I would rather spend the $30 and be safe than sorry. Dont agree with me thats OK you know what they say about opinions mine included and we all have one. If I wasnt at work I would look for some facts but I am feeling lazy on this friday morning.

Unread 10-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

'Clamping force is reduced by over 55% even though the reading on the torque wrench is identical. The importance of using new U-bolts and nuts with lubricated threads is essential to maintain required clamping forces.'

http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploa...100/ubolts.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
'Clamping force is reduced by over 55% even though the reading on the torque wrench is identical. The importance of using new U-bolts and nuts with lubricated threads is essential to maintain required clamping forces.'

http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploa...100/ubolts.pdf

Wow, a vendor of u-bolts recommends replacing them, what a shock!

There is a flaw on the second page, "reused u-bolt with dry and damaged threads." Who says that the threads on all currently installed u-bolts are dry and damaged? Mine came off with a 3/4" box end wrench. If they were dry and/or damaged, they would have required air tools, heat or other means of "force" to remove them. Now, if you have to heat them to get the bolts off, YES, REPLACE THEM, because you've compromised the integrity of the metal by heating it.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Wow, a vendor of u-bolts recommends replacing them, what a shock!
^^^ Fair enough.

That was the first search result I came across when looking into what I've always considered a no-brainier. I'm sure that with a bit more effort a very overworded technical reason could be had. To each his own... I will be replacing mine in a week when I install my new springs. The way I see it, they've done thier job for 20 years and it's time. Much less technical reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I am kinda partial to white.
Quote:
That's racist, Chris.
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #24
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You compromise the integrity of the steel theads by torquing it.

Quote:
Ubolts are always to be changed. Think of them as underwear of the jeep: when you put your jeep through enough excitement to necessitate changing the springs, wouldn't you want to change your underwear too?
It is a drop in the bucket for cost compared to the suspension price.
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #25
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad to see I am not the only voice of reason on these.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Unread 10-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My reference is common sense mixed with the way we trat other highload hardware. When you stretch a bolt torqueinging it the first time you are doing what it was designed for. But when you then restretch it torquing it the second time the metal will start to fateage and get weaker and weaker. Not to mention those u bolts are normally rather old on top of it. I would rather spend the $30 and be safe than sorry. Dont agree with me thats OK you know what they say about opinions mine included and we all have one. If I wasnt at work I would look for some facts but I am feeling lazy on this friday morning.
Ridiculous.

Certainly, there are times when new hardware may be called out in service manuals, but in this case even the factory manual doesn't call for U-bolt replacement. In fact, it doesn't even call for replacement of the U-bolt nuts.
Your description of repeated torquing, and "getting weaker and weaker" is also incorrect.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with replacing U-bolts and nuts every time one removes that hardware, but it is a waste of money.

If you don't have one, I would suggest a factory manual for your year Jeep. Not only for safety, but it can save money.
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpete
Ridiculous. Certainly, there are times when new hardware may be called out in service manuals, but in this case even the factory manual doesn't call for U-bolt replacement. In fact, it doesn't even call for replacement of the U-bolt nuts. Your description of repeated torquing, and "getting weaker and weaker" is also incorrect. Of course, there is nothing wrong with replacing U-bolts and nuts every time one removes that hardware, but it is a waste of money. If you don't have one, I would suggest a factory manual for your year Jeep. Not only for safety, but it can save money.
I have a manual just because it doesn't expressly say certain things doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Things have come a long way since the 90's. Ridiculous I think not.you torqued it once and stretched it. Now your torquing again and stretching it more. It's like when you bend a paper clip back and fourth. Eventually it breaks and doesn't take that long either. You can do whatever you want. I for one will not be telling someone to reuse certain items wear failure can result up to and including death. If you can't do it right you shouldn't being doing it until you can. Sent from one of my electronic toys using JeepForum

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Everything depends on condition. Do you replace hoses because your radiator fins got clogged with mud? If they're cracked - yes. If not - why? IMHO, it's the same with u-bolts. If they look almost new, why replace them? If the threads are all rusty and the nuts look like crap, replace them.

Unread 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject
Everything depends on condition. Do you replace hoses because your radiator fins got clogged with mud? If they're cracked - yes. If not - why? IMHO, it's the same with u-bolts. If they look almost new, why replace them? If the threads are all rusty and the nuts look like crap, replace them.
rad hoses worse case scenario over heAt and seize the engine. U-bolt snap and it gets ugly. I don't know about you but I think superman is the only one that can see metal fatigue. By the time you can see the metal fatigue is beyond unsafe. With the stress's we put on parts wheeling and crap there is no margin for error with items like this. The fsm might not say replace then but every after market lift kit comes with bolts if you get just the springs the instructions say don't reuse the ubolts. The old ubolts would fit the replacement spring in most cases but they still tell you to replace them. Go get factory replacement springs from the dealer they tell you to replace them. So basically all updated info since the fsm was printed says not to reuse ubolts. Are you noticing the pattern yet?

Sent from one of my electronic toys using JeepForum

Unread 10-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a manual just because it doesn't expressly say certain things doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Things have come a long way since the 90's. Ridiculous I think not.you torqued it once and stretched it. Now your torquing again and stretching it more. It's like when you bend a paper clip back and fourth. Eventually it breaks and doesn't take that long either. You can do whatever you want. I for one will not be telling someone to reuse certain items wear failure can result up to and including death. If you can't do it right you shouldn't being doing it until you can. Sent from one of my electronic toys using JeepForum
No, what you mean to say is:

"just because it doesn't expressly say certain things doesn't mean you "CAN"T" do it."

If it makes you feel better to replace, then by all means replace, but you're going to spend a lot of money replacing things that don't need to be.

Me, I'm going to read the manual and if there is no call out that specifies replacement, I'm going to re-use, provided that the item is in satisfactory condition.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.