JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   To lift or not to lift???? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/lift-not-lift-1557547/)

Chefdanb 08-03-2013 07:01 PM

To lift or not to lift????

Hey there,

I am a new jeep owner. I have bought a 1988 Wrangler with 82K miles. Its in great condition but has all stock on it.

I am wanting to lift the jeep about 3 inches. I have seen many types of life kits. So I was wondering which is the best out there and how much should it cost me including install?

Also this will lead me to the next question as to what size tires would be best?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:cheers2::cheers2:

Anticanman 08-03-2013 07:20 PM

Pick the tire size first according to use then worry about clearance after that's decided.

Whatcha gonna use it for?

UZI4U 08-03-2013 07:21 PM

I'm of the opinion that MINE is the best...check my profile for the list of what I'm running.

Xzero117 08-03-2013 07:26 PM

Do you even lift bro ?

jred 08-04-2013 01:50 AM

Depends on what you want to do with it (daily driver, muddin, rock climbing, etc). If you're mostly going to be driving around town, some off-roading, want a better than stock ride, and aren't completely broke, you're where I am :) I'm thinking a good starting point is 2.5" OME (Old Man Emu) springs, non-greasable bushings, new U bolts, and new shocks (not really decided, but Bilstein 5100s seem popular, IIRC). You *may* need to do a transfer case drop, apparently you can't really predict that because it varies from jeep to jeep for that amount of lift.

The springs and bushings will run you around $130 each, so X4. The transfer case drop is 75-80 bucks, U-bolts are $10x4 ish, and Bilstein's are $85X4. So $900 without the TC drop kit, $980 with.

You could do something like this, too: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_00X_B_PG.htm , but I think you can piece it together and improve the shocks for about the same price.

You should be able to run 31's on that with no other mods.

I've also seen this recommended recently for a primarily street jeep: http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=456&gr=-1 I'm not sure if that will improve the ride quality like the OME's, but it's half the price.

I'm not a jeep guru or anything, but I have been "researching" this for a couple of months now.

Chefdanb 08-11-2013 09:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback.....I will be doing a 2.5 lift and will run 31x10.5 tires.

Still trying to figure out which lift kit to go with. I have also been told to look into the Rubicon Express lift kit....Any thoughts?

fratis 08-11-2013 09:34 PM

Get shocks made by a shock building company not the lift kit company...

rykemc 08-11-2013 09:56 PM

I am running the RE 4.5" lift and Bilstein 5100 and the ride is incredible. Took a friend of mine for a ride in it who has an 03 TJ that is all stock and he said it rides as good as his jeep. Plus it flexes very good on the trails too.

jeep63 08-13-2013 09:17 AM

I run a Rubicon Express 4.5" XD lift on my 89 YJ w/Bilstein 5150s; this vehicle sees mostly off-road trails with occasional street duty. I think the ride is fine.

I run the OME 2.5" lift with the OME shocks on my 91 YJ. This jeep is strictly a street jeep. The ride is amazing with the lift/shock combination I have.

kingcat400 08-13-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefdanb (Post 15783727)
Thanks for the feedback.....I will be doing a 2.5 lift and will run 31x10.5 tires.

Still trying to figure out which lift kit to go with. I have also been told to look into the Rubicon Express lift kit....Any thoughts?

if you want a 2.5 go with ome you can buy just the springs and then get some good shocks.

Rproject 08-13-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefdanb (Post 15783727)

Old Man Emu (OME) is an excellent option. I researched for months and landed on OME because of the reviews that it was the smoothest running spring on the market. I'm exceedingly happy with the ride as well as the off road flex. I got the springs, bushings, shocks, and u-bolts from Morris 4x4. Spent about $700 for everything.

I'm running 31x10.5's and the stance is really nice as well.

BRAVO3 10-03-2013 06:44 PM

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am thinking about going with an OME 2.5" lift too. I'm stuck on weather to get the light duty or heavy duty springs though. Who is running what, and how much different do the two ride?

I also plan to go with some 31x10.5 KM2s. Everywhere seems to show that this lift will clear 31" tires, but I really want to make sure they don't rub during articulation. When I upgrade, I plan to get new wheels too. Is there a particular backspacing I should go with?

Rproject 10-03-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAVO3 (Post 16536033)
Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am thinking about going with an OME 2.5" lift too. I'm stuck on weather to get the light duty or heavy duty springs though. Who is running what, and how much different do the two ride?

I also plan to go with some 31x10.5 KM2s. Everywhere seems to show that this lift will clear 31" tires, but I really want to make sure they don't rub during articulation. When I upgrade, I plan to get new wheels too. Is there a particular backspacing I should go with?

I'm running standard duty because I have no hard top. OME recommends heavy duty for hard top vehicles. I'm also running 31's with plenty of clearance and lots of flex.

Rynfw100 10-03-2013 09:00 PM

You can get 4 - 36R (Heavy Duty) OME springs for ~$500 shipped and they ride great. I fit 32's fine and have tons of room for flex. Stock U-bolts will reach fine, just depends how boogered they are. It's the brake lines you have to worry about.

You may or may not need a t-case drop... but if you do, do it yourself. There are plenty of write ups on how to do your own. If you're lazy like I was, I bought the Skyjacker t-case drop for $40.00.

I hear good things about Bilstein 5100s, and I'm going to order some once my Jeep gets on the road again.

DirtKar 10-03-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefdanb (Post 15753484)
Hey there,

I am a new jeep owner. I have bought a 1988 Wrangler with 82K miles. Its in great condition but has all stock on it.

I am wanting to lift the jeep about 3 inches. I have seen many types of life kits. So I was wondering which is the best out there and how much should it cost me including install?

Also this will lead me to the next question as to what size tires would be best?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:cheers2::cheers2:

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

This is probably the single most asked genre of questioning on this site. Do some searching and you will find MORE information than you could ever want away from a single thread. Have fun, take your time and buy once.

The time now is 04:17 PM.