lift kits - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift kits

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #31
CherokeeChuck
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit93 View Post
What are the down sides to the drop?
Another vote for BDS. Working on piecing together my lift right now. I just picked up their 3.5 springs and shocks...only $630. Add another $50 for a full set off bserk boom shackles and I'm almost set. Will be way less than a kit and from everything I've read great quality.

In answer to your question, a tcase drop lowers your clearance in the middle. Why lift it if you're just going to drop it an inch? Others may know more reasons.

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #32
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Transfer case drops have their place. They keep the original driveline angles correct. Sometimes on a 2.5" lift you don't need them. You need them all the time with a 4" lift. Many people will buy the drop, do the lift, then see if they need it. The tell tale sign is driveline vibration. The downside to NOT going with one is obviously the driveline vibe, but also, when you lift, you're going to be extending the distance from the transfer case to the differential. The slip yoke on the rear drive shaft will move out a bit. Depending on tire size, you could get a rear driveshaft disconnect without a transfer case drop (ask me how I know).

The way to eliminate the need for a transfer case drop is to put in a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) kit and a new rear driveshaft.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The transfer case drop puts your shifting pattern right in the firin line of the tub and its difficult to shift. I remember when I installed mine, I hated my jeep. I drove my crappy bronco everywhere and even wheeled it because the jeep was so undriveable between the terrible lift springs and the transmission linkage. I had to yank the transmission into gear and even then it would pop out.
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's just a temporary solution. It drops your T-case to ease the driveline angles. But now you've just lost 1" of ground clearance at your tummy which is massively terrible. Not to mention you still have the stock slip yoke to rip off....

An SYE and CV shaft are a much better solution. You get your clearance back, the angles are better, and it's a little stronger set up.

Not to mention that, for me, it's extra temporary because I plan on doing a tummy tuck in a few months!

Hope that helps
Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.