lift kits - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift kits

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Exit93
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lift kits

I'm looking in to buying a lift kit for my 91 4.0L wrangler. I'm looking for about a 2 1/2 inch lift. My question is what is a decent kit that has everything I need, and for around $400 or less. Or if anyone is selling one

Exit93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you won't find a "kit" worth having for $400...you'll pay that much for just a decent set of springs
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

EDIT: Yeah, what he said...I must be slow.

Your going to spend 400 on springs alone for anything worth driving to the gas station.
What is you ultimate goal and reason for the lift?
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Exit93
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My springs are pretty warn out and I want to get now ones. I'd like to do some light off roading soon.
what do you think of this?
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...fMTM3525-20012
Unread 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit93 View Post
My springs are pretty worn out and I want to get now ones. I'd like to do some light off roading soon.
what do you think of this?
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...fMTM3525-20012
if you're looking for a kit just to lift the jeep to sell it, that would be fine.

if you're looking for a kit that will last under your truck for several years, look at BDS or Old Man Emu
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
if you're looking for a kit just to lift the jeep to sell it, that would be fine.

if you're looking for a kit that will last under your jeep for several years, look at BDS or Old Man Emu
BDS has great springs and old man emu has soft yet stable springs. They both flex like no other and make rocks like this feel like there's nothing there.

Unread 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Exit93
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not planing on doing anything with rocks like that. I'll me doing more like dirt trails and stuff like that. How are the rough country lifts?
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's his daily driver in San Francisco as well. You better believe it is comfortable on the street as well. I dd. my BDS sprung Yj and its at home on the freeway as much as this place:

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

And don't even consider rough country.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've personally never used them....but the RC springs don't get very good reviews as far as durability or ride quality goes
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rough Country's selling point is their low price. Judging by the plethora of complaints that I've read online concerning rough ride and premature sagging, quality does not predominately factor in the equation when it comes to Rough Country leaf springs.

FWIW, if you are looking for a comfortable ride (one that won't make you pee blood and also need to see a chiropractor) I can personally vouch for the plush ride that an Old Man Emu suspension provides. At first I wasn't certain that the extra cost would be worth it, but I am quite satisfied with the results. Looks good with 31" tires and rides very well on and off road. OME will cost you more than $400 for just the springs and bushings. Totally worth it though.

If you daily drive your Jeep, or even drive it more often than not, good quality springs will mean the difference between riding on lousy springs and later peeing blood and needing to see a chiropractor, and actually enjoying your drive on good springs free of kidney and spinal damage . Not to mention going quality the first time around will save you money and time in the long run. Going in cheap the first time around seems like a bargain, until you find yourself needing to replace the springs because of sagging or generally uncomfortable ride.

Rubicon Express is another company to check out. They offer quality kits that are a little more accessible/affordable than the pricier BDS Suspension and OME kits.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
jonothehut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, y'all have convinced me to not purchase a RC lift. But that's good. I was between RC, RE and BDS trying to figure out of I wanted to speed a little more for a better lift and I'm convinced. I was leaning towards spending more and you have confirmed my decision.
Now time to save the money.
jonothehut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
MavJeeper8
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can always piece together a lift. It'll take you some time to research everything and triple check what you decide to do but if you go this route it will save you a good bit of money and you'll end up with good quality parts. You'll also learn a TON of stuff about your jeep's suspension system. Nevertheless this forum will be you best friend during your jeep build, these guys know their stuff and are more than willing to help anyone asking for it. Good luck!
MavJeeper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavJeeper8 View Post
You can always piece together a lift. It'll take you some time to research everything and triple check what you decide to do but if you go this route it will save you a good bit of money and you'll end up with good quality parts. You'll also learn a TON of stuff about your jeep's suspension system. Nevertheless this forum will be you best friend during your jeep build, these guys know their stuff and are more than willing to help anyone asking for it. Good luck!
QFT

That's what I did. I manged to spend less this way and get more. Do your homework. Read, read, read, read and then ask questions. JF has been indispensable to me.

Not to mention the YJ guys are the best on the forums!
Good luck.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Exit93
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Can you dive me a parts list of what you bought so I know where to start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.