Lift kits - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift kits

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
MathewWalsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
2" BDS springs
5/8" Besrk or vacj5 shackles
1" daystar body lift
Tj flares in rear
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...enders-1087408
^^ front fenders
No bumpstops
No trackbar
Swaybar disconnects

It'll be the best flexing system and best daily driver you'll ever have. You'll thank yourself in the end.
I just remembered this thread so I figured I'd come back and see what people reccomended now that I have more know how than I did before.

Could I do all of this with this lift kit instead of a BDS kit?

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=2495

This is cheaper but I'm unsure of the quality.

Also, if I did get the Tuff Country kit i provided the link for, would I need to do new brake lines and such? I'd be getting replacement shackles since the 4.5 IN of lift would be enough without them.

And then, would it looks silly with stock rims and 31s? Sorry for the lot of questions.

MathewWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewWalsh View Post
I just remembered this thread so I figured I'd come back and see what people reccomended now that I have more know how than I did before.

Also, if I did get the Tuff Country kit i provided the link for, would I need to do new brake lines and such? I'd be getting replacement shackles since the 4.5 IN of lift would be enough without them.

And then, would it looks silly with stock rims and 31s? Sorry for the lot of questions.
If you want cheap, piece it together yourself.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

if you don't want to shell out the money for a BDS kit look into ZONE offroad they are supposed to be the same springs as BDS without the military wrap. I had the junk cheap stuff on my CJ5 and BDS on my YJ; trust me you will HATE your Jeep if you put cheap springs on!

I used to live on the other side of Massachusetts and had a CJ7 when I lived there and I think you'll be fine with 2" of lift and some boomerang shackles (I have the Currie 5/8" on mine), I'm also running 31" tires as well and the legal trails here are way more challenging than anything I've ever encountered back in Massachusetts. Instead of spending the extra money on a taller lift get a locker for the front.

I got the BDS kit at a Discount ($680 IIRC), the Currie Shackles($160) I bought the cheapest MT tires I could find 4 Kenda Klevers ($528 shipped) and 1 Treadwright for a spare ($130 shipped), and a Spartan Locker I picked up on eBay NEW for $250. That's roughly $1800 and if I went higher I'd have to add in more money for a new drive shaft and SYE. If you go to 33" tires I think you need to get wheel spacers as well because the stock wheels don't have enough off set.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
MathewWalsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=dukeryder;15336533
I got the BDS kit at a Discount ($680 IIRC), the Currie Shackles($160) I bought the cheapest MT tires I could find 4 Kenda Klevers ($528 shipped) and 1 Treadwright for a spare ($130 shipped), and a Spartan Locker I picked up on eBay NEW for $250. That's roughly $1800 and if I went higher I'd have to add in more money for a new drive shaft and SYE. If you go to 33" tires I think you need to get wheel spacers as well because the stock wheels don't have enough off set.[/QUOTE]

I'm unsure of the locker because this is still goning to be my daily driver. But as of now this is what I plan on buying in the future.

2IN BDS lift kit
5/8ths shackles
1IN daystar body lift
TJ flares all around
and sway bar quick disconnects (I know I don't need them but oh well)
and on 31s.

Pretty much what was reccomended to me earlier and I know when it comes to parts, cheap isnt the way to go.
MathewWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you wanna go cheap, why even have springs at all? You could weld the axles to the frame via scaffolding of some sort and get about the same ride quality and flex. Saves money on shocks too.
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
If you wanna go cheap, why even have springs at all? You could weld the axles to the frame via scaffolding of some sort and get about the same ride quality and flex. Saves money on shocks too.

Everything with the cheap now. Who cares about quality?

Problem is, people often end up spending double buying cheap.

Earlier in the thread you said to remove the bump stops. I still have the huge factory ones. What if I clamp them in my band saw and cut a couple inches off them?
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Technically, with larger tires and the same size fender, the stock bumpstops are rendered useless anyway.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
lil_joe
1997 ZJ 

I have a 92 YJ 4.0 5 sp, and I put a Rough Country 4" lift with 1.5 Boom shackles and 1" BL on about 4 years ago, NO SYE, stock drive shaft, I also have 33" MTs and have had ZERO issues, other than needing to regear to regain some power loss
--[.]IIIII[.]
Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated
HER's: 92 YJ 4" RC 1.5 RC Booms, 1" BL on 33's
MINE's: 97 ZJ 5.2 Upcountry Limited Project 2" RE BB on 265/75 Mud Dogs, Locked front LSD rear, 242 swapped T-Case, RC Quick Disco's
www.virtualjeepclub.com/
lil_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rough country 4" isn't always 4". And with the lack of flex, the possibility of losing the stock driveshaft at the end of the slip yoke is minute. Then again all jeeps handle vibrations differently.

Does that answer your question?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm unsure of the locker because this is still goning to be my daily driver. But as of now this is what I plan on buying in the future.
With just the front locked you'll never know it's there until you go off-road. Just don't run around on dry pavement in 4wd. You can even get a posi-lock to replace the vac-disconnect on the CAD if you're worried about a locked front in the snow (I've driven mine in snow locked and didn't seem to have any problems but others have reported they don't like a locked front in snow).
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.