Lift kits - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift kits

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
MathewWalsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lift kits

I want to lift my jeep 2-4 inches. Would I have to adjust any of my gauges or would the difference not be large enough to bother? And what kits would you recommend? Both body and suspension. Thanks for the help, you guys always throw me something useful

MathewWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What size tire do you want to run and what do you plan on doing with your jeep? That's a basis for the answer you shall get.

None of your gauges will change just by lifting it. Tire size will change your speedometer though.
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
MathewWalsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
What size tire do you want to run and what do you plan on doing with your jeep? That's a basis for the answer you shall get.

None of your gauges will change just by lifting it. Tire size will change your speedometer though.
Not too sure, I was thinking 33s or a little bigger
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

bigger than 33 and I would suggest really, really thinking about what you wan tot do. over 33" and you need quite a lift, SYE, and need to seriously consider axle strength.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The 3.5" fabtech is cheap with great performance. Will look good with 33's or 35's.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post

What he said.... Speedo is an easy fix with a new speedo gear after you select your set up...

A 1" BL (body lift) is the usual recommendation (no taller, increased stresses on mounts and looks funny)

Along with a quality 2" spring lift (OME , RE) NOT ROUGH COUNTRY, will get you 33" tires.
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I wouldn't go more than 33's with your Jeep. Your engine doesn't have the power to push bigger tires with your gearing so 33's will be fairly dog-ish. And as imstillatwork said, to run 35's you will need to start looking at rear axle strength.

You also need to keep in mind that they higher you go, the more work you need to do. General rule of thumb is that anything over 2.5" of suspension lift and should get an sye and new drive shaft(about $600 on it's own). So at this point you need to look at home much you want to spend to get it where you want to be and you always get what you pay for in terms of suspension parts, so try to stay away from rough country.

I would go with an OME, BDS, or RE 2-2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift at the most. You can forgo the body lift in favor of TJ flares or flat fenders if you would like.

EDIT: ^^He beat me to it and I agree with what he says.
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
MathewWalsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't go more than 33's with your Jeep. Your engine doesn't have the power to push bigger tires with your gearing so 33's will be fairly dog-ish. And as imstillatwork said, to run 35's you will need to start looking at rear axle strength.

You also need to keep in mind that they higher you go, the more work you need to do. General rule of thumb is that anything over 2.5" of suspension lift and should get an sye and new drive shaft(about $600 on it's own). So at this point you need to look at home much you want to spend to get it where you want to be and you always get what you pay for in terms of suspension parts, so try to stay away from rough country.

I would go with an OME, BDS, or RE 2-2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift at the most. You can forgo the body lift in favor of TJ flares or flat fenders if you would like.

EDIT: ^^He beat me to it and I agree with what he says.
So what if I did 31 inch tires, and a two inch suspension lift? Would that be alright, not any work after that?
Unread 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think that would be spot on. I think BDS has a 2" lift.
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think that would be spot on. I think BDS has a 2" lift.
2" BDS springs
5/8" Besrk or vacj5 shackles
1" daystar body lift
Tj flares in rear
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...enders-1087408
^^ front fenders
No bumpstops
No trackbar
Swaybar disconnects

It'll be the best flexing system and best daily driver you'll ever have. You'll thank yourself in the end.
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

put this in its own end all sticky plz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
2" BDS springs
1" daystar body lift
Tj flares in rear
^^ front fenders
No bumpstops
No trackbar
Swaybar disconnects

It'll be the best flexing system and best daily driver you'll ever have. You'll thank yourself in the end.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewWalsh View Post
So what if I did 31 inch tires, and a two inch suspension lift? Would that be alright, not any work after that?
to add...

If your'e not wanting invest some extra coin, then yes, that would work. Above and beyond that, and you'll loose too much power d-line work will be needed, as has been pointed out already.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2" BDS springs
1" daystar body lift
Tj flares in rear
^^ front fenders
No bumpstops
No trackbar
Swaybar disconnects

this is what i wish i had done. i got carried away and did a 3.5" BDS, with shackles, and a 2" BL (on 33s). it's a little higher than i wanted, and i'm considering just taking the body lift completely out.
Mameluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
MathewWalsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

2" BDS springs
1" daystar body lift
Tj flares in rear
^^ front fenders
No bumpstops
No trackbar
Swaybar disconnects

So I'll still be able to use this as my daily driver after these suspension mods? How much would this run me? I'd look it all up on my own but I've been busy and only on mobile lately
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine with it as your daily driver. Mine is a little taller and its still my daily driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.