lift kit w/ body lift - need advice/opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift kit w/ body lift - need advice/opinion

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
coldyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

lift kit w/ body lift - need advice/opinion

When I bought my yj it had a 2" body lift and 31's already on it. I am looking at putting a 4" suspension lift on it and will eventually run 33's. I can't decide whether I should take the body lift off or just leave it on. The jeep is my daily driver and most everything on it is stock (axles, transfer case, ect.). I will use it offroad every-so-often. I just want to make sure it will look right and most importantly, still be something I can rely on to get me around. Especially in -30 degree icey/snowy winters. Thanks for any input you can give me.

coldyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With a 4" lift I would ditch the body lift. If you still want a bit more clearance, go with TJ flares and/or a small 5/8" boomerang shackle. Just my opinion.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

See what it looks like and how you feel about it after you get the lift on. Since its already on there why cut for tj flares if you dont have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would leave the 2" BL, then use the money for the 4" suspension lift and get a better quality 2.5" lift.
That will still clear 33" tires, and will lessen the need for further modification due to driveline angles.
But that's just me.
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
coldyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
I would leave the 2" BL, then use the money for the 4" suspension lift and get a better quality 2.5" lift.
That will still clear 33" tires, and will lessen the need for further modification due to driveline angles.
But that's just me.
I've heard that a suspension lift will settle a little bit so if I get a 4" lift, will it be a 3" by the time it settles? I'm going with a Rough Country lift. My brother has this kit (4") on his jeep yj and likes it. He said he hasn't had any problems with it.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Cross
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I cleared 33's on my BDS 2" front and 2.5" rear suspension lift. The very top of the front tire would rub if I completely stuffed my tire having no sway bar or trackbar. The rub(inside under the fender) did not hurt a thing so I did not see a need for concern. Also it took alot to get it to rub, a 3 day trip in Moab and it would rub maybe one or two times a day. The rear was close but never rubbed.

If you go with a 2" body lift and 2.5" suspension lift you should be fine. My lift was originally more than 2" and 2.5". If it is a good lift it should settle to about what the lift is supposed to be.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldyj View Post
I've heard that a suspension lift will settle a little bit so if I get a 4" lift, will it be a 3" by the time it settles? I'm going with a Rough Country lift. My brother has this kit (4") on his jeep yj and likes it. He said he hasn't had any problems with it.
True, after time the springs settle.
But, when you first install them they are taller than advertised. So a 4" kit will gain you over 4" at first, then settle to 4".
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
zfender14
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind the body lift look, then leave it and get the 2.5" lift. That way you wont have to buy a SYE and new shaft. I just ordered the RC 2.5" lift, have heard great things about them and its a reasonable price. If you end up needing/wanting another 1/2-1" you can always get shackles afterward.
zfender14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
ugmo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfender14 View Post
If you don't mind the body lift look, then leave it and get the 2.5" lift. That way you wont have to buy a SYE and new shaft. I just ordered the RC 2.5" lift, have heard great things about them and its a reasonable price. If you end up needing/wanting another 1/2-1" you can always get shackles afterward.
+1. I'm running RE 2.5, shackles, and 1" BL with 33's. My MML eliminated the T/C drop.
ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
coldyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfender14 View Post
With the 2.5" lift, will I need to worry about dropping the transfer case down any? I've changed out axles and springs but it was never for a lift kit. I need any advice you can give me. Thanks.
Unread 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
coldyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I installed the 2.5" RC lift on my jeep and now I'm getting some vibration in the rear. It doesn't look like there is too much of an angle on the driveshaft and I checked the u-joints (my driveshaft has 3) and they seem good too. I have the shackle lift (6 1/4" bolt center to center) that was on there when I bought it and I also left the body lift on it too. Where could this vibration be comming from? I only started after I put the lift on.
Unread 03-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Blazin Den
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Shackles give you an extra 1.25 inch of lift. Stock center to center is 4 and for every inch you get an 1/2 of lift. So 6 .25 gives you an extra 1.25 on lift over the 2.5. My guess is the shackles are causing the vibration. Step down to 5/8 or stock shackles and see if that helps. Most guys dont like going over 3/4 to 5/8 on the shackles anyway.
95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)
Blazin Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
coldyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin Den View Post
The Shackles give you an extra 1.25 inch of lift. Stock center to center is 4 and for every inch you get an 1/2 of lift. So 6 .25 gives you an extra 1.25 on lift over the 2.5. My guess is the shackles are causing the vibration. Step down to 5/8 or stock shackles and see if that helps. Most guys dont like going over 3/4 to 5/8 on the shackles anyway.
Sounds like I need to make some shackles. Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Unread 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
yjjustforme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i'm gonna be throwing a 2" b.lift myself soon. will post results after!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.