lift kit questions (small as possible) - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift kit questions (small as possible)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Brian96
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boutntiful, Utah
Posts: 53
lift kit questions (small as possible)

What lift kit will I need to be able to fit some 37x13.50 pitbull rockers without rubbing? I'll have fullwidth d60 front and 14 bolt ff rear with 3 inch fender flares front and back from poison spyder. Keep it as low as possible for stability on the trail and reliability.

Brian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,224
You'll be better off with a coil suspension because fine tuning the girth of the axles mentioned will be extremely difficult. The lowest I think you can go is stock springs SOA.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 12,325
Skip a kit like you skipped other things. Don't be a dork.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
zte87
2.5 POWER!
 
zte87's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, wa
Posts: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian96
What lift kit will I need to be able to fit some 37x13.50 pitbull rockers without rubbing? I'll have fullwidth d60 front and 14 bolt ff rear with 3 inch fender flares front and back from poison spyder. Keep it as low as possible for stability on the trail and reliability.
I am no where wide as you but I am running sua 4 inches of lift with my 37-12.50 pbr's

[]||||[]
__________________
93 jeep yj bds 5 inch springs 5/8 boom shackles in the rear, locked front and rear dana 44/60 with front and rear chromoly shafts full cloak armor and 40 inch toyo's
january 2013 yjotm winner!
2013 yjoty winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Brian96
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boutntiful, Utah
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You'll be better off with a coil suspension because fine tuning the girth of the axles mentioned will be extremely difficult. The lowest I think you can go is stock springs SOA.
I waw thinking about that, how hard is it to switch from leaf to coilover?
Brian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Brian96
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boutntiful, Utah
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Skip a kit like you skipped other things. Don't be a dork.
What do you mean? Im not skipping out on much
Brian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
I waw thinking about that, how hard is it to switch from leaf to coilover?
It is quite labor intensive.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
I waw thinking about that, how hard is it to switch from leaf to coilover?
From the looks of it your not ready. Like Anticanman said. It's very labor intensive. And if you want coilovers to perform to their potential you'll need to brush up on your trigonometry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
build thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/94-yj-6-0-build-spud-1218315/[/url]
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler
 
JohnnyZJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,196
Cut fenders a 4" spring under should do it. Those axles should net you a few inches of lift too
__________________
92 YJ ~ stage 1; 33" super swampers, 4" lift locked 5 yr plan is 8.8/44 and 37s

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
zte87
2.5 POWER!
 
zte87's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, wa
Posts: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ
Cut fenders a 4" spring under should do it. Those axles should net you a few inches of lift too
If you went sua with those axle you will acutely loose lift!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
__________________
93 jeep yj bds 5 inch springs 5/8 boom shackles in the rear, locked front and rear dana 44/60 with front and rear chromoly shafts full cloak armor and 40 inch toyo's
january 2013 yjotm winner!
2013 yjoty winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
If you went sua with those axle you will acutely lose lift!
Exactly.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 2,248
I'm confused.

I guess that, after reading the parts listed in his post, and then what he's asking, I just assumed he was trolling. And then, I remembered that buying stuff doesn't make you an expert.

But then I thought, "How the hell do you get invested to that point and then try and figure out your lift/set up?" and then I remembered not everything on the interwebs is true.

I think Joe said it best - Don't be a dork.
__________________
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Brian96
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boutntiful, Utah
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I'm confused.

I guess that, after reading the parts listed in his post, and then what he's asking, I just assumed he was trolling. And then, I remembered that buying stuff doesn't make you an expert.

But then I thought, "How the hell do you get invested to that point and then try and figure out your lift/set up?" and then I remembered not everything on the interwebs is true.

I think Joe said it best - Don't be a dork.
Im not trolling im just asking which lift kit and size would be best to fit a 37 inch pbr with some 3 inch fender flares. Haha a little misunderstood... and I think I'll stick with leaf springs looking at the pricing for coilover kits. Im thinking like a 2.5 inch lift? Or would I want to do a 3 or 4 inch lift?
Brian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
zte87
2.5 POWER!
 
zte87's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Vernon, wa
Posts: 5,017
Here's my setup with 4 inches of lift, now keep in mind mine a sua with 30/8.8 combo (I know the Dana 30 and 37s is a no no but I am only running a 2.5 and have chromo shafts up front) I am sure I could run smaller lift if I where to properly bump stop it!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-2170026384.jpg   image-243452784.jpg   image-3016900251.jpg   image-3859632704.jpg  
__________________
93 jeep yj bds 5 inch springs 5/8 boom shackles in the rear, locked front and rear dana 44/60 with front and rear chromoly shafts full cloak armor and 40 inch toyo's
january 2013 yjotm winner!
2013 yjoty winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Brian96
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boutntiful, Utah
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Here's my setup with 4 inches of lift, now keep in mind mine a sua with 30/8.8 combo (I know the Dana 30 and 37s is a no no but I am only running a 2.5 and have chromo shafts up front) I am sure I could run smaller lift if I where to properly bump stop it!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Thats a sweet jeep! What beadlocks do you have on there? It looks really good. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at doing. How stable is it on the trail??
Brian96 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.