Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Lift Kit

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Slapahoe 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I think it would end up screwing up your jeep. There has been a lot of right up about the mako stuff and from what I have read nothing too good. Just my .02

#3 ·
hmmhoyhoy said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...tegoryZ33585QQitemZ7991904810QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto

Hey guys, what do u guys think of this lift kit, I dont care about how "rough" the ride is. I just wanna get lift I am not doin any heavy duty offroadin. So I was thinkin this will be ok. Thanks

87 YJ I6 Auto
So you don't care how ruff it is and you're not doing much off-roading. So basically you just want to sit higher for the cheapest cost possible. Why don't you buy a pillow and put it on your seat. Then you'll sit taller... A lift is not worth the money if you don't care what you're getting.

#4 ·
From what I have heard Rough Country is as tough of ride as it gets. I haven't had any issues with my rig falling apart yet (knock on wood). You should be good. Just have someone who knows what he/she's doing putting it on for you.

But, if your looking for a affordable/cheap/easy install, and arent intrsted in heavy off roading, get yourself a Preformance Accesories 3" body lift. You'll be better off with that.

#7 ·
Mako is 100% MALL RATED. You get what you pay for when it comes to lifts. Lift kits are kinda like Toilet Paper. Do you want some el cheapo John Wyane TP (rough, tough and takes crap from no one) or nice soft, not gonna tare and leave you feeling "crappy" Charmin. Stay away from any BL that is over 2in, they have a bad habit of busting up your tub and are illegal in some states (because they are unsafe in an accident).

#8 ·
Though I am unsure of state laws, my 3" body lift has shown no problems or ware on the tub, frame, or blocks for the past 3 months I have had it installed.

But like i said, from my experience, the body lift has been the cheapest, easiest lift to put on, and all you need to extend are (if auto) auto tranny pivot bracket, and some linkage. It is always up to you on what lift you want. But as -=-=-=-=z said, and this goes for most everything, "you get what you pay for!"

your best bet is to use the search engine here and see what the majority have to say about different lifts.

#9 ·
The reason that alot of "old timers" stay away from BL over 2in is the leverage that that amount of lift causes on the body mounts. They like to rot and fall off in stock form and using a 3in BL just hastens their demise. When I was in the Army I had a buddy who had to take his 3in BL off when he got transfered (I think it was a new england state) to be able to pass inspection. When you put on a BL you also have to relocate the radiator or cut the fan shroud wich can lead to cooling problems. Numba1goalie, did you have to do anything with your steering column when you did yours?

#10 ·
being an auto, I had to lenghthen the Shifter linkage, and add the new Pivot bracket they supplied. not much more to it.

As for the radiator, Prformance Accessories supplies you with radiator drop down brackets which lower the radator down with the rest of the engine leaving everything looking like it was.

The problems they need to address:

*The Fuel filler necks needed to be lengthened, and no auto store sells fuel lines that large, so i used clear tubing from Home Depot.

*When you lift the body, the kit does not come with a Air intake extention. So you have to flip the intake hose around so it stands up, and then go buy some hose that will sleece over the OE parts. looks like it was made like that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.