lift height estimate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lift height estimate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
BionicOnion

lift height estimate?

my yj has tires that are measuring a true 32inches tall. from the top of the tire i have approx 11.5 inches to the fender. im looking for some input as to my lift height. this is on the rear by the way. measurements were taken at the top of the tire to straight above that point in the middle

BionicOnion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

stock height to the rocker panel is 18" you should be able to figure your height from that. or post some pics.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

32's + 11.5" sounds like quite a lot of space. Can you post a pic? That would help dramatically. The easiest way is to upload a pic to Photobucket and link to it.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lift high increase over stock is determined by:

RH = Actual Rocker Height
TH = Actual Tire Height
BL = Body Lift
SH = Shackle Length

(RH - 18) - (((TH - 28) / 2) - (BL))

If RH = 26" and TH = 33" with no body lift we get

(26 -18) - (((33 - 28) / 2) - (0)) = Total Lift of 5.5" lift over stock.

We can further determine the spring lift as

Total Lift - ((SH - 4) / 2)

If shackle length bolt to bolt is 6" than Spring Lift is 5.5 - ((6 - 4) / 2) = 4.5" Springs.

Make sure to measure on level smooth ground just to the bottom of the rocker panel under the doors.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Would also be helpful to know if it is sua or soa.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
Lift high increase over stock is determined by:

RH = Actual Rocker Height
TH = Actual Tire Height
BL = Body Lift
SH = Shackle Length

(RH - 18) - (((TH - 28) / 2) - (BL))

If RH = 26" and TH = 33" with no body lift we get

(26 -18) - (((33 - 28) / 2) - (0)) = Total Lift of 5.5" lift over stock.

We can further determine the spring lift as

Total Lift - ((SH - 4) / 2)

If shackle length bolt to bolt is 6" than Spring Lift is 5.5 - ((6 - 4) / 2) = 4.5" Springs.

Make sure to measure on level smooth ground just to the bottom of the rocker panel under the doors.
Well done!!
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
BionicOnion

excellent responses considering i didn't give much info at all. it's a custom built spring set that is SUA. I realize that it seems like a lot of room as this was built with room for 46 inch tires with it SOA. I couldn't keep it legal for the street so i went SUA on the same springs and was shooting for 37-40 tire when done. I dont have the front axle bolted back in as it's a 78 k20 8 lug match for my 14 bolt and once i get the welding done and it rolled back under it's a custom SUA chevy 10 bolt i know i hear it's junk but hey it's what i got till i can afford a 60. Ill try to get some pics of where it sits for now. by the way ill get a rough guess based on your formula when i get my pics in a few minutes...check back tonight
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
BionicOnion

ok as promised here's a few pictures. forgive me for some of the work being imcomplete..it is an ongoing project *read 4 years now*

first few pics are of the back as requested.

i didn't get a picture of the rocker below the door as it would be around 1/2 inch off due to front not being on tires yet. but if memory serves me right it was right around 28 inches.

heres what's going on with the front axle first a stock pic
so yeah...if you google a chevy 10 bolt front axle you'll understand that it was never meant to be SUA. we flipped it upside down and went to town on the pumpkin side. clearancing the webbing and working a bit on the perch. we arrived at this after grinding

and the test fit of the modified perch

and a quick pic of the engine bay still in progress but close to done.

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lift height would have to be measured at the rocker with the comp cut there it's hard to tell.

I have 9" from the top of my 36" tire to my comp cut fender. I have a 2.5" sua suspension lift, 1" BL, and 1" shackle lift.

So my guess would be you have about 3-5" of total lift? My comp cut looks higher than yours though. I have about 3/8 of an inch of lip on mine at the edge.

Looks great!
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
BionicOnion

thanks 95. i didn't actually cut UP on that line. i removed the rear fender flare and cut level with the top backwards to the seam. now i gotta weld some back in i think im going to roll up a set of 7inch rugged ridge flares as they should cover all but 1/2 inch of my tread of full widths.
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats cool! I don't run flares at all. Don't have to here. It throws mud every where but i don't care.
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:10 AM   #12
zippoguy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hi all, I am trying to order new shocks for my YJ, but I have to order them based on my lift. I have 25.5" to the bottom of my rocker and although my tires are kuhmo 32" tires (will be changing them soon), they measure only 30.5", don't know if they don't have enough air in them or what not, but both front and rear measure to that.

So based on the formula, I have a 6" lift, possibly, but it really doesn't feel or seem like it. Please help.

I attached a couple of pictures, sorry they might not be the right ones, but they are the only ones I got on this device right now.

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg

zippoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 01:11 AM   #13
zippoguy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

image.jpg

Unread 03-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #14
zippoguy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

image.jpg

Unread 03-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to do it right don't order shocks off of lift, actually measure what size shocks you need.

If you can remove all 4 shocks and flex the Jeep until you lift a tire. Grab a tape measure and measure the distance between the two shock mounting locations (frame and axle) at each corner of the Jeep. That is the shock size you need. The front shocks will need to go from the longest to the shortest measurement on the two front corners and the rear shocks will have to go from the longest to the shortest measurement on the rear corners. Add a little length to the long measurement and subtract a little length from the short measurement so you are not bottoming out or over extending your new shocks and that is the Eye to Eye working limits of the shocks you need.

If you can't flex the Jeep out and measure with no shocks, the next best thing to do is with the Jeep on flat ground measure the distance between the two shock mounting locations (frame and axle) on both axles, this is your static length. Then measure the distance between the bump stops and axle and subtract that from your static length (you will have to do some trigonometry on the rear) and this is your compressed length. Just order shocks that have a body length about a half inch shorter than your compressed length and if need be run limiting straps to prevent over extending a shock.

Obviously the first method is the better way to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.