The Life of My YJ (build thread) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Life of My YJ (build thread)

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Life of My YJ (build thread) - Updated 6/27/09

I've been wanting to post this for a while. I am a "shade tree" mechanic with basic tools doing it all outdoors. I will let the pictures do most of the talking:

95YJ I6 4.0L.

Bought from a friend for my 18 year old daughter to take to college. Payed $1,000

After another $1,000 and some TLC. New top, tires, exhaust and clutch:

After 4 months of driving:

My Daughter was driving to work during Christmas break on the "back road" going about 25mph lost control somehow and over corrected and went up a steep bank (close to 75 degrees) and rolled it over. She walked away, thank the Lord.

Damage: Some obvious body damage, both front leaf springs broke near frame mount and front passenger side shackle mount broke:

So.. I had it pulled to the family farm (no garage at my house and all indoor space taken at the farm) to wait for better weather. Insurance is just liability. No other vehicles involved, no injuries = no need to call the insurance company. I'm sure they would have totaled it if it was completely covered anyway.

The longer I waited the bigger my plans became. So, I'm taking it down to almost just the frame, installing a 1.5" Superlift lift kit and replacing anything that is wore out, rusted beyond repair or "just makes since". I started with the front then moving to the tub/rear.

Here is what the front looked like tore down:

After the frame and axle where cleaned, rust treated and painted, new shackle mount welded on, new Daystar bushings throughout, new sway bar links, new wheel u-joints, new tie rod covers and put back together:

Getting it turned around in the shed so I can start on the tub and rear end (it takes a real old jeep to push an old jeep )

This is the way it sits right now. I have lots left to do and will keep posting pictures as the project progresses. I am looking for moral support and hope that this might inspire other "shade tree" mechanics with basic tools to take on big projects.

John

Last edited by johnboy68; 08-04-2010 at 03:37 AM..
johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ouch sad to see it all dinged up, looks like most of it was just body damage and the springs, glad she is ok

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
94WorknProgress
1994 YJ Wrangler 

everyone loves a build thread, it's how you become a household name. glad your daughter is ok, and the frame and axle look great. good luck, man.
94WorknProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
pk345

Thanks for the post!
I am glad that your daughter walked away from the accident and that nobody else was injured/involved. I was on the fence about selling my YJ as my parents have been riding me quite a bit about "doing something with it." I am a full-time student and don't have the time or resources at the moment to carry out my jeep-plans. At any rate, I am going to hold onto her and, hopefully, I can give it the TLC that she deserves! Best of luck with your project and, again, glad to hear that your daughter was OK.
Have fun and keep us updated!
pk345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow, what a turn around.

Hope your daugter was alright to have a leave spring snap.

depending on were you are in WV look into Pgh-offroad.com in PA if you ever want to give that thing a shake down or post up you re-build
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

glad to hear your daughter walked away from that and its sad to see the jeep like that. Good to see your putting it back together, keep putting up pics as you do more to it. Now... are you gonna give it back to her after its finished?
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
Now... are you gonna give it back to her after its finished?
Yes

I am torn but 1, it's what she's always wanted 2, I can't afford to buy her something else (without selling the YJ - not going to happen) 3, I told her "I use it when I want to" (she's only about 2 hours away while at college) and 4, it's coming back to me full time some day.

Also, she helps me work on it. She learns about tools and doing for herself. Very good lessons. If it wasn't for my Dad I wouldn't be working on it (he's gone now but his lessons aren't!)

I got the seats, seat belts and roll bar out last night. Only broke 2 bolts! Thank goodness they are easy ones to fix. I'll post some more pics later.

Thanks for the interest and support. I hope I can finish before the weather turns!
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks like a good build, also since you already have everything out if you want a more comfortable seat, caviler seats are a direct bolt in, look in the faqs and it gives a list of bolt in seats. Keep the pics coming
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is that cool looking old willys p/u your as well?
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, it's my father-in-law's. He's been a Willys guy for a LONG time. He's in his mid 70's, a retired machinist and still turns wrenches on it. It's completely old school stock but man can it get places. He's got enough old Willys laying around the farm in various degrees of deterioration to build another one. Maybe that will be my next project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
Is that cool looking old willys p/u your as well?
Unread 08-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
mokey35
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank god she is ok....Keep the pics coming. I also learned everything about wrenching from my dad as well. I am not as far along with my YJ rebuild but I will be looking forward to further posts on this one.
mokey35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I started on the rear end/tub today. I got cut short by a thunder storm.

Here is how it looks at the moment:

Unread 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the latest with pictures.

I have most the interior as tore down as it's going to get and have started on the body mounts so I can lift the tub off the frame. I hope 4 adults can lift it...

[

Unread 08-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got back to work on it today and got the tub off the frame. LOTS of rust but no major issues. Just lots of clean up, treating and painting to get it ready for all the new parts. I'll post more pics once it's cleaned up.

Hopefully the frame will be ready for new parts by the end of the week. I will have body work to do on the tub to take care of the issues from the roll over and to fix the standard driver's side floor board rot.

Unread 08-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad your daughter is ok. IMO a Jeep is not a good vehicle for a young, inexperienced driver, but I'm certain she'll be more careful from now on.

Also- You mentioned you were replacing things that "just make sense" while you have the Jeep torn down. Replace the 13 year old blower motor and heater core. The whole air box has to come out, and it will be much, MUCH easier to do while your jeep is in its current state.

My blower motor died a few months ago, and removing the air box was a pain. I paid $38 for the new motor, and decided that I might as well replace the heater core while everything was apart. That was $50.

$88 is cheap insurance, especially considering your kid will be two hours away and will be calling you if either one fails.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.