lets talk tie rods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > lets talk tie rods

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Hillbilly Jeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

lets talk tie rods

ok my 90 wranger needs 2 tie rod ends but this is all origanal parts..should i just replace the bad tie rod ends or for about 160 bucks just replace the hole steering assiblily threw jeep4x4...i think its crown products.. btw this jeep is a fix up or a trailer queen/ dd..no rock crawling mudding...might see a fire road on occasion due to hunting what u all think

Hillbilly Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For what you use it for I'd just do the ends, pretty easy.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You may need to replace the whole rod depending on which end it is. The stock tie rod has an integral TRE on the pass. side IIRC.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
You may need to replace the whole rod depending on which end it is. The stock tie rod has an integral TRE on the pass. side IIRC.
That is correct (I checked mine out on Sunday evening).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, for the money I went with THIS KIT from Ruff Stuff, but I also already had crossover steering with a separate draglink. If you're staying with stock sizes etc. I'd recommend using Moog joints.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

For about $300 shipped to my door I am very happy with my Rusty's offroad kit. It is beefier tubing plus all 4 tre's are replaceable with over the counter parts.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used rugged ridge kit. 212 shipped off of amazon. Very pleased with this kit
kojak70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.