Lets talk about grease - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lets talk about grease

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow thanks Tom!

Unread 12-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Grease is one of those items that may get overlooked on our maintainence lists if we aren't changing the oil or replacing drivelines

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Having dealt with heavy machinery, timber equipment, drilling rigs- grease is a vital component to there operation. Some will say " it's only grease " I have seen the effects of this statement and the effects of I'll get it next time, etc... None of which ever ends well.
Apply this to our daily drivers/ toys / life style and we wouldn't make out very well on the trail. Greasing with a quality product on a regular schedule makes a world of difference.
A little trick to test the quality of your favorite brand- take a small blob and put it on a hard flat
surface, smack it with a 2# shop hammer, pull your hammer straight up and see how long of a string you get. The longer the string, the better the quality of the grease.
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Very informative! I grease up after every wheelin trip since mud is inevitable around here which ends up being a couple times a month.

Ill see your injector tool and raise you a needle injector

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
What is a one hand grease gun? Never noticed it.

Also, what NAPA grease dries to a outside skin to repel dirt? I own a couple of street sweepers that blow dust all over the place. I grease it to keep the dirt out of the bearing regularly. Repelling dirt sounds right for me.

I just use the regular cheapest NAPA grease, anyone think I should change to a different grease?
I'll have to look but the grease is red or maybe purple. I was told that dirt sticks to it less and it seems to be true since all we have around here is desert dust and sand.

One hander.
one-hand-grease-gun-250x250.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great topic Canman! I probably take time to crawl around my vehicles and make sure clean grease is where it needs to be more than the average joe, but I'm sure I could do better. I haven't taken much time to read about what type is the best, but I've used plain 'ol Lucas "Red N Tacky" for years and have been happy with what it does. A question I'd like to ask is about a good needle fitting. I've gone through a couple of the generic adapters you can find at the parts houses, but they leak like a seive. What do the grease gurus have to say about a good quality needle type applicator? I think I'd like to find a specific gun I can leave dedicated to needle fittings. I'm currently using a mini-gun with a needle fitting for my CV joints and whatnot, but its not the greatest.
Unread 12-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #21
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with getting a Lincoln or similar quality. Some reason I have always ended up with cheap crap grease guns that will never pump grease. I finally bought a Lincoln for probably only $25 and it is great.
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
I haven't taken much time to read about what type is the best, but I've used plain 'ol Lucas "Red N Tacky" for years and have been happy with what it does. A question I'd like to ask is about a good needle fitting. I've gone through a couple of the generic adapters you can find at the parts houses, but they leak like a seive. What do the grease gurus have to say about a good quality needle type applicator? I think I'd like to find a specific gun I can leave dedicated to needle fittings. I'm currently using a mini-gun with a needle fitting for my CV joints and whatnot, but its not the greatest.
As a dedicated gun its not a terrible idea if you have the room in your garage or shop. I, personally, do a lot of greasing on a weekly basis and only run one gun for the farm equipment and occasionally use it for the jeep. I opted for the adapter above but if you wanted to go with a dedicated gun I would suggest going with the straight pipe because there is a lot of pressure needed to make sure the grease enters the joint. And yes, the Lincoln threads are all the same, I checked.

You would thread off the zerk adapter and thread on the tube starting where my ring finger is. I pulled back the sleeve to show folks how it works. And all the heads on the Lincoln guns are adjustable for grip on the zerk fitting itself. All it takes is the twist of the tip.

As for grease type, you'll want something high pressure, high temperature and water resistant. The cheapest stuff I could find was this bunch and it has been working just fine for a few months now.

As for the gun I prefer, it looks something like this. Or exactly like this.

Remember that you only need to squirt grease to expel the water until you see the new grease push the old grease out. You don't need to run a tube of grease through each zerk to be effective. And remember that some grease is better than no grease. Even a couple shots makes a big difference.
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Eventually you will realize that it is an addiction, like I did; Then you will buy the bulk refill 5-gallon pail and not bother with those wastful little cartridges anymore. Just keep a box of rubber gloves around for re-packing the guns!
It's not pretty, but it was cheap! I use the 5 gallon tub for repacking wheel bearings

Unread 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
proFISHent
1988 YJ Wrangler 

awesome writeup. I will be greasing everything tomorrow!!!
proFISHent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention, the brand of guns and accessories that I'm using is "Lubri-Matic" they have been around since forever, like 1921 or something. I'll prolly pass those guns on down to my nephews when I die or something. FWIW I totally agree about having the straight pipe on the needle gun. I have to find the red stuff and try it sometime - I have the moly EP marine stuff in these because its what worked best for me.
grease.jpg  
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The red stuff is nothing to seek out, its the bottom of the barrel in my arsenal of lubricants. But for a jeep, they'll pretty much all do the job. It's not like we are running serviceable radial ball bearings on our vehicles. The types that see over 1000 rpm need special grease, jeeps really don't. Just make sure that its not going to corrode your tie rod boots and is automotive safe.
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For those who have servicable wheel bearings to repack.
These work great.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing...ker-69027.html
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ng-packer.html
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #28
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
For those who have servicable wheel bearings to repack.
These work great.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing...ker-69027.html
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ng-packer.html
Or you can do it by hand. I have always done mine by hand and they work just as well.
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #29
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Or you can do it by hand. I have always done mine by hand and they work just as well.
Yes but check out how well these work.
By the way he is really not doing it right. I use my press or a vise to push the plunger down.
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe we should also compile a comprehensive list of what items need to be greased as well as how often they need attention. For me:

A. Front/rear drive shaft joints
B. Front/rear axle joints
C. Ball joints

I usually only hit mine every other month because I'm 95% on surface roads. I do step it up during the winter months (3-4 weeks between greasings) b/c the road salt gets everywhere and I find myself power washing the undercarriage a bit more frequently. My off roading has consisted of a few muddy puddles and some dirt roads. She gets a thorough cleaning and greasing after every "trip" though. Is there anything else I should be greasing.... on the Jeep that is?
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.