let's see those custom front bumpers! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > let's see those custom front bumpers!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
i think thats probably because square tube is easier to work with for something like this.

oh yeah And A Country Boy Can Survive!

There ain't too many things these old boys can't do!

I guess that's true. I was trying to decide how I would mount 2 tubes one over the other. I have seen some commercially manufactured bumpers that have round tubes going vertically through the horizontal bumper tubes, but that would be hard to do with just an angle grinder.

But still, if anyone has any pics let's see em.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...

Last edited by TheNewbie; 02-25-2009 at 03:52 PM..
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #32
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
And "TheNewbie", I think E_ROCK posted that picture to show his bumper and also to brag about his front 6" stretch lol
Man, someone always has to call you out. These jeepforum guys are smart dudes.

The idea is the same regardless. Welded rectangle tubing to front of frame and call it a day.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
Ustabearenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Old pic but you get the idea:

Used 2x5x.25 Rec Tube, the pull pegs are solid 1" rod welded all the way thru the bumper and the D rings came from a trailer place. The idea is take your tow strap slip it thru the D ring and onto the peg, no need to mess with stupid clevis rings - also the D ring prevents it from slipping off.
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #34
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
Man, someone always has to call you out. These jeepforum guys are smart dudes.

The idea is the same regardless. Welded rectangle tubing to front of frame and call it a day.

What size tubing was that. i think that look just about right if I want to go with a rectangle tube.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #35
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
There ain't too many things these old boys can't do!

I guess that's true. I was trying to decide how I would mount 2 tubes one over the other. I have seen some commercially manufactured bumpers that have round tubes going vertically through the horizontal bumper tubes, but that would be hard to do with just an angle grinder.

But still, if anyone has any pics let's see em.

well theres a few ways you could connect the 2 tubes. one would be, as you say, to run round tube vertically thru both tubes, but that would involve cutting holes in your tubes big enough to put your vert bars thru.

you could cut and notch a few short pieces of round tube and surface weld them vertically to hold your tubes together

you could also cut some brackets from like 3/16" or something and do cut outs in them for the tubes to set down in and weld it up that way.

Persopnally though, I never really liked the round double tube bumper look. i think its better reserved to the street jeeps than the trail jeeps. but thats just my preference
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #36
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mines 2x5" rectangular tubing, with some heavy sidewall 1.75" tube bent at an autoparts store. Their exhaust pipe machine was just strong enough to bend the tube, but they probably won't do it for anyone, I jsut have hook ups since my dad used to work there. Then I had it powder coated. It's a pretty beefy front bumper, it weighs about 150lbs.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.