let's say you've got about $1300 to spend... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > let's say you've got about $1300 to spend...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 10-08-2002, 12:04 PM   #1
ace3

let's say you've got about $1300 to spend...

and you need:

4" lift kit
31" or 33" tires
black Rockcrawler wheels

what would you get?

4wheelparts.com has a Pro Comp package with the wheels/tires for about that price. Should I look into a different lift setup instead?

i'm not going to be doing a lot of off-roading or anything, but will do it every once in a while.

thoughts?

HELP A NEWBIE!

ace3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

To keep it simple ..

31" tires do not require 4" of lift .. the 33" tires do require 4" of lift

2.5" of lift will allow 31" tires, or add some fender trimming to allow 33" tires to fit

What's wrong with the stock rims? I ran stock rims with 33" tires on 4" of lift .. no problems. The lighter aluminum rims don't take as much power away from the motor as steel rims do.

As far as havin' $1300 to spend .. I would put more power into the engine, change the gears, cut the body and slap the biggest rubber I can on the ends of the axles .. then take the money left over and build a garage
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
ace3

okay, okay....

i NEED to redo the lift that it has on it ... it currently has these 6" shackes on it. I want to lift it correctly, and then put 33's on it (forget about hte 31's) with the rockcrawler wheels. (because i like the looks of 'em).

i'm basically asking if that package deal is worth the price, or if I should buy wheels/tires/suspension separately somewhere else. AND, if I should look into something other than ProComp, still trying to stay under budget.

sorry for the complex question.... i can't seem to find any advice on this subject here.

thanks, everyone...
ace3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2002, 04:51 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh .. Ooohh .. well .. then .. Hmm ..

If it was me I would choose something other than the Procomp springs .. just because everyone who has that spring set complains about it .. I would hate for you to start on that band-wagon as well.

I am fairly happy with my SuperLift (spring model is listed on my homepage) kit .. when I first did the lift, my flex wasn't great, but its getting better as the springs have a chance to work in. I am running the springs with no sway-bars or trackbars with no ill-effects on street or trail.

Others swear by the ride quality of the OME springs .. and the RE Springs have also gained huge acceptance among the Jeeper world.

Ultimately, the decision is yours .. but if I was you, wanting to remove the too-long shackles I would look at putting the Bushwacker flares on and using the OME springs to fit the 33" tires ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:07 PM   #5
CB89XJ

I agree w/ Naekid, I'd stay away from ProCrap. I had their 3" lift on my XJ, is it's junk. There are many better kits out there for the money.

If you have welding and fabbing skills, what about a spring-over? You will need an SYE, I don't know if you have one yet, but you'd prolly need one anyway w/ a 4" lift.

Look into some MT/R's for tires. They are awesome, and will be my next set. What kind of wheeling do you do or plan on doing? I hear they $uck in the mud, but awesome on rocks. I have ProComp MT's on my YJ, and they are decent too. They are siped for wet weather, and they are good offroad too.

HTH

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 12:18 PM   #6
YJHoller

1300 Dollars

I really have nothing to add of value. I just wanted to say I bought my Jeep for $1300. So thats what I would do.

Thats my half a cent.
YJHoller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.