Lets play name that sound! Motor or Transmission?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Lets play name that sound! Motor or Transmission??

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Odie4az

skyj,
Any luck correcting it?

Odie4az is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie4az View Post
skyj,
Any luck correcting it?
Well yes and no. It got a little quieter with a seafoam treatment and some octane boost in the tank. I want to mess around a little with my timing and the carb a little more to see if it goes away. I will definitely check back for updates and suggestions.
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok well not to leave anyone in the dark on this. The other night I decided to put my timing light to it to see how or what the vacuum advance is doing to the timing. Well what do I see... nothing absolutely nothing!! my marks on the dampener are so far off its silly now I had known that my dampener was bad and that it has spun rendering the stock TDC notch useless so I had painted a new white mark on my dampener to get me TDC. So it looks like I will be getting me a new dampener to see if that helps with the problem.
Does anyone know if the dampener being bad could cause my knock (making the crank out of balance) I now they are balanced for a purpose I'm assuming this could be my problem. I have yet to take the cap off my HEI to see if any of the weights or springs are broke/missing.
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You'll never get it timed correctly until you replace that dampener
If the vacuum advance isn't working you have a bad diaphragm - direct vacuum leak
This all compounded together......

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Zeus I should be ordering that dampener today. I guess I know what Im getting for Fathers day I will tear into the HEI tonight is there a way to test the diaphragm on the vacuum advance other than putting it up to your mouth and suck on it to see if it moves? Thanks for the help fella"s
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That dampener being bad could cause a knock sound.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #22
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Either that or use a hand vacuum pump
More than likely it will move, but you want to know if it stays still while holding vacuum

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well good news I did a compression test on the motor last night and all cylinders were 145-150 psi range then we did a cylinder leak test and it did exceptionally well, with very little leak. I wrote a whole story in my build thread about last nights escapades if anyone is interested.
The good news is I ordered my dampener and hopefully when that gets here I can get this timing issue figured out.
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update boys I put this in my build thread also...
Ok got her all back together. Install went smooth minus having to remove rad to get the darn tool in there to install dampener.
Alrighty then.. set timing at 8* btdc with vac line disconnected and plugged, runs great no knock or ping. Hook up vac advance and rev motor and watch mark go off the charts 19*+ and all over the place and knocks Son of a......
So I'm back to square one with it, but at least I can see my timing, and where its going with the vac hooked up. I think I may try replacing the vac advance unit and see it I can get an adjustable one or should I try changing weights in my dist??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.