LED windshield spotlight wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED windshield spotlight wiring

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitZone Offroad - Jeep Forum PromotionFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

LED windshield spotlight wiring

WHat's up all.

I am interested in upgrading my windshield mounted standard spotlights to LED. CUrious about wiring of LED's. They are 3x3 18W.

They will be wired to a switch (obviously), i will be utilizing a fuse, but is a relay really necessary for such low draw?

Thanks in advance

Unread 03-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

No. Especially if you are using a quality switch like a ARB/Carling

Your draw is 3 amps.

I have been using these switches. They have been reliable even with heavy sand and dust. I recommend them.

http://www.amazon.com/SUNDELY-ZOMBIE...ocker+switches
Unread 03-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Chris. All i needed to know.

I have a spare switch spot in my dash already. WIll be using that. They have held up for 3 years. SHouldn't be an issue.
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a set of those lights and was surprised how bright they were.
I'll use a switch up to half of it's rating.
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe it's just me but I find that mounting lights on the windshield to be a completely useless endeavor. Even the old school kc anti glare cups still didn't convince me it was a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Maybe it's just me but I find that mounting lights on the windshield to be a completely useless endeavor. Even the old school kc anti glare cups still didn't convince me it was a good idea.
Mine are indispensable. I need to see clearly for a quartermile+, top of the windshield is the only way.

Get em' up high and away from the hood and aim them carefully. I found mounting them to the hinges useless. took them off in 24 hours.
I have a set low in front that take care of close duty, and more than a set above the windshield lighting up a solid half mile.
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm fine with above the windshield. I have low gloss paint on the hood and my led bar above the windshield to reduce glare. However I had a set of piaa's on the windshield hinges and they were terrible. My buddy has them now. He hasn't used them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I'm fine with above the windshield. I have low gloss paint on the hood and my led bar above the windshield to reduce glare. However I had a set of piaa's on the windshield hinges and they were terrible. My buddy has them now. He hasn't used them yet.
Got it.

Low gloss here too.
After one outing , the lights were off the hinges. So yes...
Worst place for lights ever.

Unread 04-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #9
bergovoy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i would wire up almost everything thru a relay....and I would upgrade the power wires one wire size, to the lights and 'devices'...

I would keep the relays out in the engine bay, all located centrally/together... seems to make things cleaner and easier to troubleshoot
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You said you are upgrading your lights to LED. If the relay system is already there for the previous lights, why not use it for LEDs?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
You said you are upgrading your lights to LED. If the relay system is already there for the previous lights, why not use it for LEDs?
I suppose i was indirectly inquiring whether it 'could' be used and also whether it 'should' be used. Thanks all for the clarification. This will make install simple.

To anti and chris.... i have a glossed hood, but not too much glare off it at all. I'll try and dig up some pics. I don't wheel at night (aside from camping and trail rides with the wife). I will NEVER use them on the road (even though for the most part its tolerated up here in Canadia)
Unread 04-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What lights are you using ? I installed a new bumper and have places for lights
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
What lights are you using ? I installed a new bumper and have places for lights
currently?

or which LEDs am i replacing them with?

spot style (thin narrow far-sighted beam), yellow lens, 150W snappy lights (ebay). FOr the price they did what i needed them to and far better than expected. But as i continue to work on my rig and build it up, so-to-speak, my needs are growing with its capabilities. Hence, LED. (just too efficient and sleek to say no). But also, as Chris will point out - the housing of the older style spotlight is just too large for the windshield hinge, it does create blind spots.

I am mounting the removed spots close together in the center of my bumper. Just going to weld a couple tabs with pre-drilled holes in it. Then i'll have used all my switches up in the cab and I'll have a pretty good amount of light (more then i need which is always good). On the plus side, the yellow lens with the smoked baffles on the Black Magic Hella 500s already installed on the bumper go well with the black and yellow motif of the heep.
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #14
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the led lights
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
Yeah the led lights
Nilight 18W 3x3 Dually. 4" spot light beam. Similar to this (very similar)
light.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.