led tailight help (already searched) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > led tailight help (already searched)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
gottkts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

led tailight help (already searched)

I have searched the forums and cant find what i am looking for. I installed a set of the led trailer lights on my yj and cant get them to work properly. When i turn the lights on only one tailight lights up and both blinker lights come on on the dash and stay lit. When i hit the brakes they come on fine and the hazards work fine but have no blinker what so ever and only the one running light. I HAVE THE EL 12 FLASHER BUT STILL NOTHING DIFFFERENT. Does anyone have wiring diagram of the tailights. I went by what stu had on his site at stuoffroad because all of the colors were the same but maybe something has changed. I am trying to get everything working properly before tearing down for paint thanks for the help

gottkts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
jagarcia82
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Double check the connection on the taillight thats not coming on. Unless you have a short in your wires before it gets to your rear end it should work. I twisted wires together till I was certain where everything went, the electric flasher was a headache for me.

You might have a bad electric flasher because my flashers wouldn't blink till I got it cause it wasnt enough voltage to trip the relay? Hope that helps I'm no pro but just going by my mistakes.
jagarcia82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
gottkts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

the light comes on when i press the brake and when flashers are on. It just turns off as soon as i put the parking lights on and as stated before have no blinkers at all on either light. it is confusing and time consuming thanks for the help
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Robyjuk
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you need to raise the resistance in the circuit to trigger the flasher unit, its a common problem we get over here when people convert US cars to UK lighting regs, you need to find a resistor ( not sure what ohm) and have it connected across the + feed from the lamp and the earth so its wired in paralell.
Robyjuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check you ground for the light. Oh most of the leds White is the ground.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Check you ground for the light. Oh most of the leds White is the ground.
X's 2 sounds like a ground issue to me. The stock lights are grounded to the tub, if you didn't run a specific ground wire for the new lights they're not grounded.

BTW, the EL-12 (as I'm sure you know) corrects the two issues previously stated about tripping the flasher etc...
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
T-Mack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i agree check the ground then throw a resistor on em, when i did mine i didn't use em when i would hit my blikers they would blink crazy fast to where u couldnt see them blink just looked like a steady light, got a resistor for each side and problem solved
T-Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyjuk View Post
you need to raise the resistance in the circuit to trigger the flasher unit, its a common problem we get over here when people convert US cars to UK lighting regs, you need to find a resistor ( not sure what ohm) and have it connected across the + feed from the lamp and the earth so its wired in paralell.
The best way around the resistance type flasher is to simply replace it with an electronic base flasher. Plug and play.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
The best way around the resistance type flasher is to simply replace it with an electronic base flasher. Plug and play.
OP already has the EL-12 flasher.

My opinion is that he has grounding issues, which was already suggested by dodger889, timatoe & T-Mack so I was just keeping my mouth shut on this one.

OOPS!

Max

Quote:
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
gottkts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have both lights grounded with the white wire. I am going to try swapping the other two wires tonight
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well if the grounds are good, then is it possible that the EL-12 was installed in the hazzard slot rather than the turn? Or did you swap out both with the El-12?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottkts View Post
I have both lights grounded with the white wire. I am going to try swapping the other two wires tonight
Most all of those trailer light pigtails have a 3 wires.

RED = stop, brake, & turn

BLACK = parking lights

WHITE = ground for both bulb circuits

Max

Quote:
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
ScottyDoe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah I agree with the rest of the guys that its a grounding issue, but on mine, i got Grote leds, and they work perfect, i didnt even have to install a resistor or anything, they blink at the normal rate it should
ScottyDoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
gottkts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the input guys, figured out the problem. I guess i moved the wire connector around too much and broke the solder connection but it was under shrink wrap so i couldnt see it. After reattaching everything works great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.