Led tailight conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Led tailight conversion

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Offroadinshawty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Led tailight conversion

Okkk so i was thinking on replacing the bulky stock taillight assembly on my YJ with two Red and two White Oblong LED lights like you see on semi trailers and such... My idea was to stagger them at an angle on each side of the rear.

Any install tips on wiring or cutting would be more than handy... I would also like to see some of your pics from sinking your tail lights

Offroadinshawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
jmmorgan82

Here ya go
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There are also pics of EXACTLY what you're talking about here on the forum, if you search for them you may find them, I don't remember who posted them before or I'd just find them for you.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did something similar but used the oval high intensity for the red and round white for the backup. Backups are stupid bright and light up everything. Friend was behind me at a traffic light and said he was seeing spots after looking at my brake lights LOL.
It's super tight but can be done.

l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

flush mount your stock tail lights good look and not expensive
1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Offroadinshawty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like what you did with your lights SnowDogMarc. How did you wire those up?
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is what I did on my YJ for the LED tails.

in this one you can see the small white reverse lights I put in. basically kicked em at an angle. Wanted to do something a little different. As you can see from the lit up pictures it looks kinda mean from the back
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Offroadinshawty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Here is what I did on my YJ for the LED tails.

in this one you can see the small white reverse lights I put in. basically kicked em at an angle. Wanted to do something a little different. As you can see from the lit up pictures it looks kinda mean from the back
I like how you did the tail lights. and my thinking was to angle the tail and reverse lights like you have yours on each side.

Now for the stupid question... Im not so good at trouble shooting wiring. Can u explain to me in lame-mans terms how you wired both tail and reverse lights to the stock wiring harness? and any other useful info
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sure. wasnt too difficult really. the Haynes service manual has the wiring diagrams in the back, that will tell you which color wires do what. basically there are 4 you need to be concerned with. tail, stop/turn (l and R), ground and reverse. If you dont have a book, you can use a multi meter. turn your tails on and see which wire has voltage. thats your tail light wire. hit your left signal and check again, the one that gets 12 volts on and off is for the turn and stop (they run on one wire per side, when you brake it lights them both) the 2 left will be ground and reverse lights. with the engine off and the ebrake set, put it in reverse and see which one gets 12volts, thats gonna be your reverse. the LEDs (the red ones) have 3 wires (some may be self grounding, mine were not) the ground, tail, and stop/turn wire. just hook the correct wires up to the corresponding factory wires and you are all set. the reverse lights are 2 wire, one ground one hot. ground it and hook the reverse light wire to the hot side.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
newheep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
sure. wasnt too difficult really. the Haynes service manual has the wiring diagrams in the back, that will tell you which color wires do what. basically there are 4 you need to be concerned with. tail, stop/turn (l and R), ground and reverse. If you dont have a book, you can use a multi meter. turn your tails on and see which wire has voltage. thats your tail light wire. hit your left signal and check again, the one that gets 12 volts on and off is for the turn and stop (they run on one wire per side, when you brake it lights them both) the 2 left will be ground and reverse lights. with the engine off and the ebrake set, put it in reverse and see which one gets 12volts, thats gonna be your reverse. the LEDs (the red ones) have 3 wires (some may be self grounding, mine were not) the ground, tail, and stop/turn wire. just hook the correct wires up to the corresponding factory wires and you are all set. the reverse lights are 2 wire, one ground one hot. ground it and hook the reverse light wire to the hot side.
I basically did the same thing but I had to upgrade my flasher unit to get the turn signals to work.
newheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so you guys that have done this, it looks cool and all, but how did you do this without cutting through the fender well inside the tub?

my 4" round jobbies were a tight azz fit. i only have about 1/16 inch from the top of my hole to the bottom of the "seam" under the wheel well (under the "fold"), and the rubber grommet still touches the gas filler bezel.

i can see where you would have room for one oval light, but two would be pushing it...

i mean im just saying to the op, measure real good before cutting holes. they are real hard to un-do

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newheep View Post
I basically did the same thing but I had to upgrade my flasher unit to get the turn signals to work.
oh i totally forgot about that! In my case I found the hazzard flasher worked perfectly so I just swapped that one over to the signal flasher slot and got another hazzard light one.

and yes, i used a cut off wheel and cut into the body. If you look close you can see I also angle cut the body towards the tub and the fenders for my eventual tire carrier I have planned. I have no quams hacking up my sheet metal. if that makes you cringe you should have seen the holes I cut in my hood to install some vents
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some LED tail lights with backup lights built into them.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=LED1200

http://skinnypedal.net/store/index.p...products_id=69

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PJJJ7A/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0039G2XSO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RRY8FC2Y8JPZWTQR2E3
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadinshawty View Post
I like what you did with your lights SnowDogMarc. How did you wire those up?
I spliced the connector from the LED lights into the plug that was on the factory taillight. They do require a ground as the factory ones use the bolt that mounts them to the tub. I just added one in a convenient place behind the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout189 View Post
so you guys that have done this, it looks cool and all, but how did you do this without cutting through the fender well inside the tub?
Measure 9 times and cut 4 I did in fact cut about 1/2" into the fender well but it makes it very easy to remove the light with a punch from inside. They are a real PITA to get out if you have to reach up from under the tub. It's also not a good idea to pry from the front as you have a good chance of breaking the light if the gasket is in the least bit cold.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Offroadinshawty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys. hopefully when i get some cash i can get out to buyin the supplies and post some pics

Tags
LED lights , taillights , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.