LED Side and Parking Lights??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED Side and Parking Lights???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Stingray427

LED Side and Parking Lights???

I did the dash LED's mod and think it is great. I also have the plug and play LED tail lights with the right flasher fuse for LED's and everything is working great!

My question is, can I just add LED bulbs to the front side marker lights (in the flares) and the parking lamps in the grille?

Stingray427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Dano63
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did my LED dash light swap a month or so ago, also changed my tail lights and back-up lights to LEDs. 1157 and 1156s in LED. 194s in LED for the dash. Same for the side marker lights. 194 bulbs in LED. The front lights are 1157 in LED. They do not ground on the body like my tail lights, so I had to use a resistor for the front lights, in line, else it showed as a 'no light' condition and they wouldn't flash. Very cool look. Love it.
Dano63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

https://youtu.be/DhpypjhpPU8
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you CAN just install LED bulbs, but for the front turn signals IMO they don't have the "oomph" an LED should have because if being filtered through a lens not designed for an LED lamp.

So far that I've found, there isn't a direct replacement LED unit available for either the markers OR the turn signals...the side markers are an odd size and not available (yet, that I've found) as a direct replacement, or even reasonably close. once I ditch the stock flares, I plan to put an LED lamp for the marker though with a little bit of work (if you're not afraid to cut sheetmetal)

but for the sugnals, I found THESE UNITS from superbright are really nice and look like they could have come from the factory that way. You have to cut the opening a little bigger, and they're a grommet mount. real simple to install.

Put them on mine this fall:
img_1070.jpg  
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I love the LED turn signals. Ridiculously bright.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your question, if you bought an Electronic style flasher, then yes you can just swap in any turn signal bulb, LED or incandescent, without issue. The electronic flasher relay doesn't use resistance like the older units do.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you look at LED replacements for incandescent bulbs, pay attention to the direction of the light. There are different kinds. Some for example send light out the 'top' of the bulb, which won't work so good for sideways mounted bulbs.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
To answer your question, if you bought an Electronic style flasher, then yes you can just swap in any turn signal bulb, LED or incandescent, without issue. The electronic flasher relay doesn't use resistance like the older units do.
Yes I have an electronic flasher relay- so I should be all set.
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Stingray427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
When you look at LED replacements for incandescent bulbs, pay attention to the direction of the light. There are different kinds. Some for example send light out the 'top' of the bulb, which won't work so good for sideways mounted bulbs.
I was wondering about that. I went to SuperBright LED's.com and saw that for example when you search 1157 replacement bulbs a whole slew of choices come up.

Which bulbs do you recommend for the front and side bulbs to spread the light the best?
Unread 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/t...r,1157,21,195:

the first few on this page look suitable if your tailights are like mine, but I don't have personal experience with that product.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Stingray427

What about these for the front grille lights?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-spider/818/
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
I love the LED turn signals. Ridiculously bright.

Did you cut the grill to fit those?
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Did you cut the grill to fit those?
I'm not the one you asked, but I have the same lights. Yes, the grill needs to be cut. more or less to the edge of the bevel area, These are a grommet mount, so once you've got your hole cut, they just sort of snap in place
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
I'm not the one you asked, but I have the same lights. Yes, the grill needs to be cut. more or less to the edge of the bevel area, These are a grommet mount, so once you've got your hole cut, they just sort of snap in place
+1. Had to cut the opening flat.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
Was there any kind of additional wiring needed to be done or are they plug and play?
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.