LED side marker light write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED side marker light write-up

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

LED side marker light write-up

I installed my rear 4" LED flush/grommet mount tail lights a while back. But since then I've had no side marker lights, tag light, or reverse lights. I plan on a bumper build soon, so I will address the reverse lights with bumper-mounted flush oval lights, and I'm considering integrating the license plate & light in the bumper as well. But for now I wanted to get going on the side markers. I finally located the 2" LED flush/grommet mount marker lights I wanted at a local trailer supply store, and there are 4 LEDs in each light.

I wanted the top edge of the grommet to be even with the height of the flares. After measuring from the tub edge down to the flare, I calculated that about 6-1/2" down from the top edge of the tub would be about where the center of the LED side marker should be for height. I also found the about 3-1/4" from the rear corner seam would just about center the light front to rear in the area where I wanted them. I measured & marked both sides with a sharpie marker.

Passenger side

Driver side

Next, I got out my trusty 2-1/2" hole saw & drill to cut the holes.

Passenger side

Driver side

Finally, I lubed up the grommets & LED light housings with spray silicone lubricant to make the lamps push into the grommets easily, and installed the lights. I have to say that I was not concerned with making the side marker lights even with the tail lights, but they worked out pretty even and I'm thoroughly satisfied with the location of the lights.

I ran out of daylight today, so I didn't wire them up yet. When I get to that step, I will edit this thread to include the wiring portion.

And before anyone asks, the answer is "No, never have & never will." to the "Do you ever wash your Jeep?" question.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 09-21-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good Max! Well, aside from the lack of washing that is

KCCO

Last edited by jaycal3; 09-20-2009 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: info
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't use LED's for my tail lights or side markers.

I also couldn't figure out how to separate the side light wires out of the tail light harness.

I just ran wires off the front side markers in parallel, to the rear side marker lights.

It worked well & I wanted to tell you in case you run into the same dilemma.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Hurley91

Hey i got that same rims AND tires that are on your blue YJ. And good write up
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, how is the fit on those with the 2 1/2" hole? I'm putting in 2" LED's in my bumper for reverse lights and it calls for a 2 3/8" hole, but I'm thinking,,,,,,, I've already got a 2 1/2" saw.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Max!

Another great write up! Are you using a plain old wood hole saw?
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Looks good, how is the fit on those with the 2 1/2" hole? I'm putting in 2" LED's in my bumper for reverse lights and it calls for a 2 3/8" hole, but I'm thinking,,,,,,, I've already got a 2 1/2" saw.
Actually the hole saw I use in the write-up is a 2-1/4" hole saw. The holes turned out a bit small, enough in fact that I split a grommet while attempting to install the lights. I used a rotary file to "hog out" the holes some more & replaced the split grommet with a new one. I would use my 2-1/2" hole saw next time, so that's what I put in the write-up. The grommets are pretty forgiving in the hole size, as they cover a pretty good size area around the outside of the actual hole.

Your 2-3/8" hole saw should be fine, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
Hi Max!

Another great write up! Are you using a plain old wood hole saw?
Yes, it's just a regular hole saw like plumbers & carpenters use. I think they're around $10-$20 at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. depending on the size you buy.
Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
Hey i got that same rims AND tires that are on your blue YJ. And good write up
That's my wife's blue YJ, and they used to be on my red '91 YJ before we swapped them.

She wanted mine on hers because her BFG A/T's "aren't loud enough" and the Interco TrXus tires are a bit noisier, so she stole them & I took her tires & wheels.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Gotcha thanks.

BTW, I've got two of these with grommets and pigtails in the garage that I'm not going to be using now.... if you're interested

They're incandesents rather than LEDs though.
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Gotcha thanks.

BTW, I've got two of these with grommets and pigtails in the garage that I'm not going to be using now.... if you're interested

They're incandesents rather than LEDs though.
What do you want for them? Those are exactly what I am planning on using in my bumper.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good Max. I do like how you mounted them lower on the corner. I mounted mine up much higher (above the wheel well) so that I could cut out the fenders when I do highline TJ flares someday.

Did you modify the side grommets to make the light sit closer to flush with the body? I found that I had to do that with the NAPA LEDs that I used on my conversion.

Here's a cut/paste from my other post on the subject:

I just finished installing the flush mount LED tails and LED side markers as well. The side markers are the 2" grommet mount type but I had to modify the grommet to get them a little closer to flush. All of them are from NAPA, but it was much cheaper if I pieced them together from stuff behind the counter rather than the kits on the wall.

Here's how I modified the side marker. There are several small "ribs" that need to be cut off of the grommet to allow the marker light to sit deeper. If you turn the grommet inside-out, then they're easy to get to with a utility knife.

The ribs:

Ribs removed:

Before (right) and after (left):
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

No, I didn't have to do anything to make them fit like that. That's one of the reasons I had such a hard time finding the ones I wanted. Most all of the ones I found were the ones that the lens stuck "out" too far, like a button if you know what I mean.

The ones I installed were unmarked, with no name or part numbers on them and they just fit more flush. Now that you mention it, I may get some spares while the trailer supply store has them in stock.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
What do you want for them? Those are exactly what I am planning on using in my bumper.

Max
You've got a PM.
Unread 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Last question, how are you going to rig up a light to illuminate your license plate? (or are you?)
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
Last question, how are you going to rig up a light to illuminate your license plate? (or are you?)
I am going to address it, again. Currently I have those "Lite-Bolts" that I paid way too much for at the motorcycle shop. They suck & I hate them, one is already kaput.

You might have missed it in the original post, but I'm considering relocating my tag (and tag lights) and reverse lights into the bumper that I'm planning on building. I'm just not sure which way I'm going yet. It would be like a truck style bumper, with regards to the plate being centered. The lower edge of the plate will be flush with the lower edge of the bumper, and the tag would be slightly higher than the bumper at the top. My plans are for 2"X5"X3/16" steel rectangular tubing.

We'll see, more to come......

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.