LED lights ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED lights ?

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 03-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

LED lights ?

anybody making LED tail lights and/or marker lights that are simple plug ins yet, or at least include the needed connectors, so I don't have to cut up my stock stuff?

Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can just swap in led bulbs in the stock housings. Would cheaper than a whole assembly. Hit up superbrightleds.com and order the size bulbs you need. Simple swap. Also remember to upgrade your flasher relay or install resistors or your gonna have super fast blinkers.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about going that route, but wanted to see if there was anything with a bit lower profile than the stock box lights out there first.

I was looking at the lights from Savvy, and I like everything about them except the part about having to splice them in, instead of being able to just plug and play
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...5&categoryId=3
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 03-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's really not that difficult to splice wires. And for the tail lights your looking at 4 per side. Should be a super quick and easy job.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
It's really not that difficult to splice wires. And for the tail lights your looking at 4 per side. Should be a super quick and easy job.
but where would I get the connectors from..like I said, I don't want to cut up my stock stuff. That makes it difficult to reuse or sell them later.
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 03-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Available at any parts house or hardware store. You can even soldier and heat shrink for an additional 20 min of patience.
2156h-outlined.jpg  

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well the stock lights won't fetch you much. They are basically just trailer lights you can buy for 5 to 10 bucks at any auto parts store. You could try and track down a YJ at a junk yard and cut the connectors off of it and use those if your really that worried about cutting up the factory wires.
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
Available at any parts house or hardware store. You can even soldier and heat shrink for an additional 20 min of patience.
Would not use these on any jeep that's going to see any kind of wheeling. And definitely not the cheap ones. If you insist on using those crappy things at least get the more expensive heat shrink style. Personally I go all out and solder and heat shrink every connection. It's the best method by far.

Edit:

These are what I did for my led tail lights. I wanted something different.

Last edited by 92 Green YJ; 03-17-2014 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Pimp my lights
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Would not use these on any jeep that's going to see any kind of wheeling. And definitely not the cheap ones. If you insist on using those crappy things at least get the more expensive heat shrink style. Personally I go all out and solder and heat shrink every connection. It's the best method by far.

Edit:

These are what I did for my led tail lights. I wanted something different.

I just did a quick google for "butt splice", I also soldier and heat shrink my junk.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

allrightythen I guess I'll hit up my jeep club members first to see if anybody has any broken housing lying around I can cannibalize for the wiring and connectors. If no luck there, I'll visit the local salvage yards.

looks like I'll have some time, since the savvy lights are on back order at the moment
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
mamzerook
1991 YJ Wrangler 

look on the websites for grote,peterson mfg and trucklight. these led lights are available at any heavy truck shop. ie. kenworth peterbilt etc. they normally have a huge selection in stock and can get anything in the supplier catalog.
mamzerook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I was thinking about going that route, but wanted to see if there was anything with a bit lower profile than the stock box lights out there first.

I was looking at the lights from Savvy, and I like everything about them except the part about having to splice them in, instead of being able to just plug and play
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...5&categoryId=3
I run the Savvy taillights and wired them up with Weatherpack connectors. Weatherpack`s are what is on your Jeep now and IIRC the Savvy lights come with WP`s as part of the kit.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Richard_
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow , there really proud of them lights
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
Wow , there really proud of them lights
if you know where to get some LED's tail lights in a billet aluminum low profile housing that don't require any cutting of the tub to install any cheaper than these...please, tell me where I can get them
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Flush mount lights will always require you to cut into your tub. Honestly, not that big a deal...

Your OEM tail lights are basically worth about as much as they weigh in dirt, seldom few want them, especially when you can get tail lights that would cost you less than $40 for both... Cutting off the connectors to re-use them is the best method if you want plug and play. That's what I did with the lights I bought from Super Bright LED's, made it incredibly simple for the new owner to just plug and play onto his YJ.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.