LED issues!!! HELP!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > LED issues!!! HELP!!

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
What brand of lights were they? There are still a lot of LED lamps that do have resistors built into them, then there are the cheap ones (like from HF) that people around here cheap out on then get all sorts of issues because of the current draw.

Depends on which lamps you buy. Don't cheap out, and do your research first.
You're telling this to a guy who already has LED everything on the rear. And yes, I did buy the cheapo Blazer brand walmart LEDs. And yes, they worked fine. All of these 4" LED tails are designed to be installed in semi's and work trucks. They are plug and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Jeep43
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get the truck lite 4050d I installed these with no extra flashers or resistors. They were only like $15 at napa.
Jeep43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep43 View Post
Get the truck lite 4050d I installed these with no extra flashers or resistors. They were only like $15 at napa.
There are plenty of cheap lights he can buy instead, but for right now he's trying to fix what he's got. Chances are, the lights aren't the problem.

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
What brand of lights were they? There are still a lot of LED lamps that do have resistors built into them, then there are the cheap ones (like from HF) that people around here cheap out on then get all sorts of issues because of the current draw.

Depends on which lamps you buy. Don't cheap out, and do your research first.
I can't remember. They were standard 4" with a decent amount of LEDs. I think I went with something that was DOT approved, just for visibility's sake. The reverse lights I put in were 2.5" LEDs I scored off of eBay. I was ready to have to install resistors if the blink speed was crazy, just happened to not be the case.

If I'm not mistaken, resistors are usually installed when the blinker current draw isn't as high as the relay expects, thus it blinks quickly, thinking there is a problem. The front blinkers are still regular bulbs, which have the correct power draw, so the relay is satiated.

Anyway, OP, you said resistors are all four corners? Did you install LEDs in the front, as well? If they worked fine before LED swap, there must be a bad ground somewhere. When all four are blinking, does the dash show both indicators flashing, or just the side you chose? I'm thinking you can probably narrow down the problem by disconnecting each side independently and testing it to see if it fixes it. Once you disconnect the corner that is a problem and everything functions as normal, as least you know where to check the wiring.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Jeepmonster33
1999 WJ 

Yeah we put equalizers at all 4 corner, we have led rears for brake, running, and turn, in the front we have led blinkers and runnin lights, i will check grounds but i do remember for the fronts my buddy put the blinkers and running lights to the same led??
Jeepmonster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmonster33 View Post
Yeah we put equalizers at all 4 corner, we have led rears for brake, running, and turn, in the front we have led blinkers and runnin lights, i will check grounds but i do remember for the fronts my buddy put the blinkers and running lights to the same led??
You can do that but you have to used diodes on each lead and a resistor on the driving light lead. Might be the problem.

Quote:
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
msprooch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Remember guys resistors "resist" the flow of current. They dissipate the excess energy off as heat.
msprooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.