Leans AX-15 External Slave Swap With Pics! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leans AX-15 External Slave Swap With Pics!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #31
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
I got a question, Where abouts does this external conversion run, price range for everything needed.

Thanks
There are a lot of factors in the price range. The bellhousing is going to be used so that ranges from free to probably $100. I've also seen the bellhousing and fork and throwout bearing on ebay for $100 for all of it.

The type of slave cylinder/master cylinder set up and hydraulic line is going to cost different amounts. Pre bled units opihi listed above were $150 - $200. The line i bought was $70 and the slave was $45 and I reused my master.

Also I chose to buy a new throwout bearing so that was another $40 IIRC.

The bearing retainer is upwards of $150 or more online but could be had at a JY for much cheaper.

So I know that doesnt answer your question but there's no kit or anything and the parts range all over the board. what I suggest is keep an eye on ebay and craigslist or visit a local pick and pull for the best price. I also recommend going new for the throwout bearing and slave cylinder. No reason to do all that work and reuse old parts that may fail sooner.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did the swap and price wise I got the bellhousing and fork for $120 shipped to my door from Ebay, The bearing retainer and seal for around $140 shipped from here4wdtruck.com, Jeep parts and accessories.
I ordered the clutch kit that included the throwout bearing $ 128 and a prefilled master & slave $140 from RockAuto. About $450 total. If you do the swap to an older jeep You will have to elongate the holes on a prefilled master/slave to fit the older master cylinder mounting studs.
Nice write up.
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #33
Zangief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks that actually is the type of answer I was looking for, ball part amounts...I am aware its based on circumstances and opportunities.
Zangief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
Thanks that actually is the type of answer I was looking for, ball part amounts...I am aware its based on circumstances and opportunities.
Just in case you need another estimate, I got a bell/clutch fork assy from a 97 Wrangler for $50 off Craiglist, input bearing retainer used from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear for $50, new seal for it about $8, new clutch kit around $120 (Checkers), refaced flywheel $50, and new clutch master/ext slave/hose assy for $170(Morris Jeep online).
Hope this helps "de-intimidate" people anticipating this swap. It is a worthwhile swap. Anyone is welcome to PM me for further details as I don't want to walk all over Leans93 write-up thread.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 04-02-2010 at 12:00 AM..
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #35
Dennis Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
If you're going to get a new tranny, just use the input shaft that comes with it and all you will need to do is get the proper size pilot bearing. Is there any particular reason you would want to change it? Changing the pilot bearing is much easier than changing out the shaft.
I wasn't sure if the bore in the crank shaft was the same, if it is, I will just change the bearing.

Thanks
Dennis Mills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #36
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

awesome, AWESOME write up!! This is just what I've been searching for! and you even answered my question about the years to source from. i found a bell housing from an 03 TJ for $75 and I couldnt be sure whether it was the right one. Now I just have to find all the other parts.. especially that external bearing retainer.
Thanks again man, im bookmarking this LoL
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #37
93joeyj

make sure i get correct bellhousing

thank-you lean i have been searching hi and lo for this thread as i wish to do this to my yj 134k and now leaks and clutch doesn't work it still drives though 1-5 gears have to shut off to change directions though and put in direction then i can float gears' what should i tell boneyard to make sure i don;t get sent an ax15 bellhousing or an some other housing that is incompatable. they may not look as closely to see which they have, thanks all
93joeyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #38
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you having one sent to you? If you tell them exactly what you're looking for they should be able to find it.
You could send them a picture

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #39
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To ask a stupid question... I have a 91 4 litre. What pilot bearing do I need? Whichever matches the donor input bearing shaft retainer?
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #40
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuthhound View Post
To ask a stupid question... I have a 91 4 litre. What pilot bearing do I need? Whichever matches the donor input bearing shaft retainer?
Your pilot bearing shouldn't change if you're just swapping to an external slave, If you are using the same engine and trans then you will use the same size pilot bearing you currently have. The input shaft bearing retainer is changed out but none of the bearings need to be changed. The pilot bearing goes into your crank and the input shaft of the transmission goes on the other side of it but neither of these two are changing.

Quote:
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #41
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, cool. So there's a guy near me who has a ram clutch, slave/master, and clutch fork for sale for $300. With that combo, I would need to only pick up a bellhousing, input bearing shaft retainer, pivot pin & spring. Likely the hose adapter kit that (bigredcherokee?) picked up from AA to fit a 91 master cylinder, right?

If I picked everything up myself, would I need a new clutch regardless to fit the newer style throwout bearing?
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #42
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

No need for a new clutch, the throwout bearings are similar if not identical in diameter. Not a bad idea to replace the clutch if yours is old since you'll have everything apart anyways. Not sure what a ram clutch is but you can get a Luk brand clutch for much cheaper than $300.

Quote:
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #43
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ram clutches apparently are of similar quality to Luk. So if I do replace the clutch, should I get one for a 95 that would come with a new throwout bearing?
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #44
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuthhound View Post
ram clutches apparently are of similar quality to Luk. So if I do replace the clutch, should I get one for a 95 that would come with a new throwout bearing?
That will work just fine

Quote:
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #45
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Groovy, then I think I'll order everything separately myself, mate the new slave to the old master with the hose kit so I don't have to deal with mounting the new master with different mounting spacing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.