Leans AX-15 External Slave Swap With Pics! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leans AX-15 External Slave Swap With Pics!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #16
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be doing this swap soon, great writeup!

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
DCREGGER

Question

Great write up its been a big help in my switch.

Got a quick question for you. When you changed the front bearing retainer to the long nose one did you use an oil seal like the one on the old bearing retainer. Or does it mount to the trans. with no seal ?
DCREGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Don't want to clutter up your writeup which I did with great success when swapping in an AX15 but what does the mount look like between the skidplate and tranny? I see 4 threaded holes in the bottom of the case and I am trying to find the right mount.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCREGGER View Post
Great write up its been a big help in my switch.

Got a quick question for you. When you changed the front bearing retainer to the long nose one did you use an oil seal like the one on the old bearing retainer. Or does it mount to the trans. with no seal ?
There is a seal on the new bearing retainer plate. It's in the same location as the one for the internal slave (see pic below for reference) however in the pic it is not visible on the new plate due to the metal shaft on the external style bearing retainer plate. It is under there though and should be used to avoid losing your tranny fluid. You will also want to seal up the bearing retainer plate with some RTV.

Here is a listing for it for reference
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52118_07.htm

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:

Last edited by Leans93; 03-07-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Unread 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Siren
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am planning on doing this modification on my '93 with a 2.5L 4cyl. Unless I am mistaken that means that I have the AX-5 transmission.

Anyone know of any major differences between these guidelines and what I will find when doing the conversion on mine?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice writeup, thank you for taking the time to put this together with great photographs, narrative text and part numbers/sources. When I did my internal--external mod, I wasn't smart enough to take photos for a writeup. I have been very pleased with the outcome and I am sure you will be as well as all the others who can now follow in your footsteps. I went the one-piece pre-bled master/hose/slave version and have been satisfied with that.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren View Post
I am planning on doing this modification on my '93 with a 2.5L 4cyl. Unless I am mistaken that means that I have the AX-5 transmission.

Anyone know of any major differences between these guidelines and what I will find when doing the conversion on mine?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Yes stock the 93' 2.5L should have an AX-5 (five) behind it.

As far as the swap it's going to be the same basic process as the AX-15. You'll of coarse need to purchase parts that will fit your AX-5 but the swap process will be very similar if not identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Very nice writeup, thank you for taking the time to put this together with great photographs, narrative text and part numbers/sources. When I did my internal--external mod, I wasn't smart enough to take photos for a writeup. I have been very pleased with the outcome and I am sure you will be as well as all the others who can now follow in your footsteps. I went the one-piece pre-bled master/hose/slave version and have been satisfied with that.
Thank you

I had looked into that type of slave set up first but could not find one for a decent price. It is definitely a viable option for someone doing this swap. Sounds like from your experience it is a good option. So far I am having no issues with the AA line and Duralast Slave. Now if I do find I need a new slave I will only have to spend $40 or $50 on just the slave. Do you remember how much you paid for your pre-bled set up?

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green89yj View Post
Don't want to clutter up your writeup which I did with great success when swapping in an AX15 but what does the mount look like between the skidplate and tranny? I see 4 threaded holes in the bottom of the case and I am trying to find the right mount.
Is this just the standard AX15 mount, and where did you get it if not from Jeep? Im fixing to put my AX15 in my 88 YJ and didnt know the mount was differant.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
Is this just the standard AX15 mount, and where did you get it if not from Jeep? Im fixing to put my AX15 in my 88 YJ and didnt know the mount was differant.
Yes the AX-5 and AX-15 do use different transmission mounts, and this is the standard/stock mount. I did purchase it from the Jeep dealership.

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well my 88 has a 258, 6 cyl in it but mine has that piece of **** Peugeot trans and I didnt know if it was differant because I had never heard changing plate out going from the Peugoet, to the AX15.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
Well my 88 has a 258, 6 cyl in it but mine has that piece of **** Peugeot trans and I didnt know if it was differant because I had never heard changing plate out going from the Peugoet, to the AX15.
I have read that the mounts are different but have no personal experience with the Peugeot.

Quote:
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #27
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
I had looked into that type of slave set up first but could not find one for a decent price. It is definitely a viable option for someone doing this swap. Sounds like from your experience it is a good option. So far I am having no issues with the AA line and Duralast Slave. Now if I do find I need a new slave I will only have to spend $40 or $50 on just the slave. Do you remember how much you paid for your pre-bled set up?
I seem to recall it was $172.81 that included the shipping cost to Hawaii, got it from Morris Jeep in Pompano Bch FL via mail order.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #28
Dennis Mills

Great artical. I have one other question. I have a "91" Wrangler with the smaller input shaft diammeter at the pilot bearing. I plan on changing the complete transmission due to a broken case on mine. Is it difficult to change out the input shaft of the transmission? Or, do I need to have a shop do it?
Dennis Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Mills View Post
Great artical. I have one other question. I have a "91" Wrangler with the smaller input shaft diammeter at the pilot bearing. I plan on changing the complete transmission due to a broken case on mine. Is it difficult to change out the input shaft of the transmission? Or, do I need to have a shop do it?
If you're going to get a new tranny, just use the input shaft that comes with it and all you will need to do is get the proper size pilot bearing. Is there any particular reason you would want to change it? Changing the pilot bearing is much easier than changing out the shaft.

Quote:
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #30
Zangief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a question, Where abouts does this external conversion run, price range for everything needed.

Thanks
Zangief is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.