Leansí 4.0L swap is complete with pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leansí 4.0L swap is complete with pics!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Leansí 4.0L swap is complete with pics!

It took me a while being in school and working but its finally complete! I just wanted to share some of my experience for those who may do the swap in the future.

First I got a donor engine from a 93í Cherokee. It was mostly a complete engine minus the flywheel. I got it home and started removing everything down to the long block. I was considering rebuilding the entire engine myself but didnít have the time and thereís a local engine shop that has great prices on remanufactured long blocks so I took it down and swapped. I tried to make everything on the engine I could new. I got a new water pump, 136 Amp alternator, and many other things. I reused the air conditioning compressor, my 2.5L power steering setup, and the distributor. I had the intake manifold hot dipped and picked up a flywheel and had it resurfaced. I also used Simple Green and engine degreaser to clean all the parts. I painted most of the parts so it would look kinda pretty. The swap wasnít that hard but I am mechanically inclined so that helped. The most time consuming part of the whole thing was locating the correct bolts for everything. I recommend if you do the swap to get a complete donor so you donít have to make 30 trips to the hardware store to get bolts. Oh a good tap and dye set helps too.

Anyways I donít want to bore you since there are 100ís of threads on the subject so I will share some tips and pictures. I purchased a 6 cylinder computer from a 91í YJ ($100) and I did grab a junkyard wiring harness from a 91í XJ ($35). I did not use the XJ harness in my swap I only used two of the injector plugs from it. I left all of my 2.5L wiring in place and marked it with tape to where it goes. Another tip is that all of the connectors are different so it would be hard to plug something back into the wrong place. Still faster and easier to label them. So after the new engine was in I took the two injector wires and spliced them into my original harness. Drill the holes in the correct location on your original bulkhead and just run the new wires in. This is where the donor harness came into play as its wires already had the correct fittings to slide into the bulkhead. The FSM for 93í shows that the only differences in the 4.0L and 2.5L harnesses is the addition of the two injectors and the subtraction of the power steering sensor. Using this process I saved tons of wiring headaches. I plugged in the two new injectors and then just plugged everything else in where it went before. The plugs and connectors for both 2.5L and 4.0L YJís are the same. I did have to extend a few of the wires. Hopefully this will help folks because most of the write-ups gave me headaches when talking about the wires and this was seriously headache free.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing I did was replace the XJ alternator bracket with the one from my 2.5L (same part number as the one for the YJ 4.0L) I did have to purchase the lower bracket from the junkyard as it is different from the 2.5L. This got rid of the XJís off center fan pulley. I was switching to an electric fan anyway so I didnít need this. Also the 136 Amp alternator requires grinding to fit on the XJ bracket whereas it bolts right up to the YJís. Also a lot of folks have clearance issues with their Taurus fans and the YJ fan bracket. My next tip can be used for any 4.0L Wrangler swapped or stock. I kept the XJ water pump as it has a short pulley on it. It gives about an inch to an inch and a half extra clearance as there is no nub where the manual fan used to be. There are a few threads that say you canít use the XJ water pump due to reverse rotation or something. This is false at least for the 93í XJ. It is not reverse rotation and works perfectly.

The Taurus fan came from the junkyard and installed easily as other posts advise. I have a picture of my relay setup. I ran it to a switch in the dash for low high and off. I was going to use a temp switch but itís not really needed so I skipped it. It will always be on low unless I turn it to high or off using the switch. Again the retention or for those of you the swap to an XJ water pump and pulley will give you that extra room you may be looking for.

Some pics of my motor mounts moved and welded with support brackets made from some scrap I had laying around.

I also picked up a remanufactured AX-15 and put a B&M short throw shifter on it. I purchased an AX-15 transfer case shifter off ebay that said it was for this application but I still had to do some grinding on it to get it to fit. I did a little removal of some rubber and metal to get the shifters to fit in the tub but didnít have to cut the tub!

I changed my transfer case input shaft to the 23 spline and added a JB Conversions SYE on the back. Changed the seals and the chain looked good. Got a CV drive shaft from a local shop and some shims to correct the pinion angle.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to ask!

My baby is running like a Cadillac now! A Cadillac on steroids!

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Unread 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice!

I nominate this for TOTW (thread of the week).
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
MUDDYJEEP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool - I'm close on finishing the same swap. What fan shroud did you go with? Was thinking of cutting down the one from my 2.5l - It has the p/s resovoir attached to it which looks like it should work (I think this is what you described) Out of curiousity, what tranny mount bracket did you go with? I ended up fab'ing one

Clean job there-
MUDDYJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys!

I used a Taurus electric fan so I just used the shroud its enclosed in.

I bought a stock transmission bracket from the dealer.

Quote:
Unread 01-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
jeepsurf
1998 TJ Wrangler 

nice job.

1990 2.5 YJ / 1997 2.5 TJ

USAF VET

My YJ build thread HERE.
Nightcrew alive and well, now on VB 4.0 HERE.
Food mailed 3ooo milesHERE.
jeepsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
Alvy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great work Leans. I'm in the countless hours of research and parts gathering phase now of my 8.8 swap for my 93. Seems like you really did your homework and gave out some really good advice to others planning this swap that may not have been out there. I'm glad that people are so willing to share their ideas about what works and what doesn't. By the way, what time frame did you do this in start to finish?
1993 YJ, AX15, 4.0L, 8.8 LSD w/3.73's, Lock-rite locker in front, S.O.A. JB4x4 high steer bracket, BrandonYJ 1" Booms, Rugged Ridge SS S.Y.E. XJ drive shaft, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, Chevy Cavy seats, woods camo paint, 200,000 miles and still goin strong!
1993 Cherokee Country AW4,4.0L, 3.55's, 4" blocks in back, 4" TJ springs front, 31x10.50 BFG A/T, Ford Red paint, recently finished with 4wd conversion
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Where did you put the other 2 wires for the injectors? They go to the PCM?
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Futaba
1988 YJ Wrangler 

wow thats really nice, i wish i saw this before i did mine. i hacked mine pretty bad but it only cost me $300 for everything.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #10
capone1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up.
capone1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

I take it that the fuel injectors are not sequential, does the computer batch fire them, or is it set up morelike a throttle body with multiple injectors? if its batch timing, do you have to worry about which set of injector wires you connect to? just currious, I like to know how things work
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_yj View Post
I take it that the fuel injectors are not sequential, does the computer batch fire them, or is it set up morelike a throttle body with multiple injectors? if its batch timing, do you have to worry about which set of injector wires you connect to? just currious, I like to know how things work
+1 Me, too! Inquiring minds want to know.
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Extra Wiring

How did you splice the other injector wires and make them work?
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Each injector has a specific location in the bulkhead as to where it is located. I'm not sure if Haynes manuals show the diagrams but I used my FSM to find these locations. So yes you must place the wires in a specific location. Now the beauty of it is that all of the 2.5L bulkhead locations are the same as the 4.0L so there is no need to mess with any of the other wires. The first four injectors 1 through 4 are in locations 13, 14, 15, and 16 respectively. Those 4 you don't need to touch. Injector 5 is located in position 38 and injector number 6 is in position number 58. They must be in these exact locations.

On the bulkhead on each end you will see a number stamped in the plastic. This corresponds to the wire directly near the number. This helps locate the bulkhead point. I'd print it but its copyrighted material. Mods can I do it if I site where its from? Anyways the bulkhead wires have special fittings on the end to keep them in the harness. You take a screwdriver to the front plastic piece holding the wires in near the edges. There is a tab on the front that the screwdriver fits in and this plastic retainer pops right out.

Take the entire wire from your donor harness and cut it near the bulkhead end. Once you have located the correct position on the bulkhead drill a small hole in it. Be careful here because if you drill a hole thats too big the connector wont stay in. I used a 1/16 drill bit which was a little small but not much bigger than that. Then I ran the cut wire through and replaced the piece of plastic that holds the wires in their locations. I then reconnected the wire and ran it down the top rear of the engine with the other wires that were already there.

For the ground end of the injector wires I followed the other 4 ground wires from the other 4 injectors. Just inside the large wire loom the all connect to one another and then one iwre runs off to a ground somewhere. I didn't follow it any further cause there is no need. I just took my new injector plugs and spliced one each into one of the old injector ground wires. taped it and recovered it with conduit and was all set.

Here you can see the red plastic that holds all of the connectors in place. On the upper right side is where you insert a tool to remove this piece. As you can see I kinda messed this one up. Be careful with this plastic piece because you have to reuse at least one of them.

Here the plastic is removed and you have acess to all of the wires. I used a pick and small needle nose pliers to get the wire out.

Here you can see one wire pulled. Notice the metal connector on the end. These are very soft metal and very damage prone. If you do happen to break one you have a whole harness full of them so don't worry.

Quote:

Last edited by Leans93; 01-11-2009 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Added some pics
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
fyrdriver
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you did this write up. I always wondered about just adding the two injector wires. My manual(I think Chiltons) also shows the only differences as you listed.
Looks good, your ready for another 200K miles now!

http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
fyrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.