Leaky Rear Main Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaky Rear Main Seal

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-23-2001, 12:14 PM   #1
whatarush

Leaky Rear Main Seal

I'm in hell.
I love my Jeep, but since I have bought it I have been throwing good money after bad. I was hoping that when I bought it any additional money that I put into it would be for mods, not so.
I have an 89 YJ with the 4.2 6cyl with a 114,000 miles.
My current problem is the rear main seal. Has anyone had to replace this yet?
Are there any short cuts to replacing it?
I was hoping I wasn't going to have to dump another thousand bucks on replacing the rear main seal.
Any help would be appreciated.

whatarush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2001, 04:07 PM   #2
RodeoRob

114k? i'd consider yourself lucky you made it that far. Its not abnormal for the rear main to be leaky by now. I know many Jeep friends that have had to address this problem a lot sooner.

Sorry to say, but there is no quick shortcut to doing this. It will be a PITA or cost some money. At a shop, i'd say you're looking at somewhere aroudn $500-600, but thats just a guess.

Just be glad you have a 2 piece seal and won't have to drop the tranny like i do on my Isuzu. I also have all those IFS components in the way... it could be a lot worse.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2001, 09:49 PM   #3
Willis91YJ

There's a post in the engine forum entiteled rear seal blues... check it out and get back to me.
Black 91' YJ with fresh 4.0, Sitting on 31x11.5 Mickey Baja MTX's on 15x10 AR767, Borla Stainless cat-back, free flow cat, it seems like I keep breaking necessary parts just about the time I get enough money together for the fun stuff!!!
Willis91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2001, 08:54 AM   #4
whatarush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not consider myself a mechanic, but I believe my rear main seal is leaking. I went under my jeep and I can see the fly wheel spinning. I have a chilton manual and I noticed two things it may be. On an 89 4.2 6cyl there is a gasket for the oil pan and then there is the rear main seal. I believe it must be the rear main seal. Getting back to my first point. I am not a mechanic, but I do have access to a shop and all the tools I need. I am willing to try but I don't want to f*#! up my jeep. For the rear main seal, Chilton says I must remove the transmission. Some of the responces I saw to my inquiry in the YJ forum said I will not have too.
Any in put would be appreciated.
rbdunn1@yahoo.comnull
whatarush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2001, 07:44 AM   #5
Gper4life

Actually its really easy to change a real seal. I've done it about six times between my two 89 wranglers.( 4.2L ) All you need is the rear seal, an oilpan gasket, a tube of mega black or some sort of gasket maker, and about 3 hours. Start by draining your oil. then take off your oilpan. one side of the seal is inthe rear of the pan. Pay attention to how they go in. (It is possible to get it in backwards and it leaks like crazy.) THen take a punch or something and drive the top half out of the block. After you replace the seals, put your oil pan gasket on. THe front should be ok but the back where the edge of the rear seal is has always been about an eighth of an inch too short for me so I put the mega black inbetween the rear seal and the cork gasket. Be careful not to get it on the part of the seal that touches the crankshaft. Just put it in between the flat part of the seal and the cork gasket. THen put your oilpan back on and reattach any gas lines you had to move. Don't forget to put your oil back in. THen give it a try. You will know if it works about the time it gets to operating temperature. Good luck.
89 YJ upgraded with 95 Chevy LT1 small block, NV4500 5spd, tera low 231 SYE, Custom built crossmembers and skids, 2003 Corvette Electron Blue paint, 3 inch custom spring lift with 2 inch shackles, 2 inch body lift, locked 8.8 with discs, 4:10's and 35's, spray lined tub, and a few other unmentionables
Gper4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.