leaky cowl 1988 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > leaky cowl 1988 yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 09-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
wholzer

leaky cowl 1988 yj

i'm getting water in my jeep through the cowl. i poured water down the cowl the water comes out of the elephant trunk just fine, and i was a puddle on my drivers floor board also. no ac we just had a rain storm and went out to check it the rug on both sides is wet. help

wholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the condition of the cowl itself beneath the seal under the windshield frame? Is that seal the original and dry rotted? Also, do you have any holes in the windshield frame that may have been drilled for add-ons? (lights, mirrors, light bar, etc.)
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Lower the windshield and look for areas of water intrusion. Also, pull the intake screen and look for damage to the cowl vent intake, and possoble debris blocking proper draining.
Unread 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Sulls88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem I solved on my 88 YJ. I had little puddles where you rest your feet on the driver and passenger side. The water was in the exact same spot of both side. If that is what you are seeing then read on...

I thought it was the cowl also. Poured water through the cowl a couple times but could not replicate the leaking/puddles. After it rained again I checked it out. Turned out there was a seal in the tub that had deteriorated. I patched it up with some clear liquid silicon I bought at home depot. Haven't had a problem yet. That was early this spring.

The seal is located exactly where the hood part of the tub meets the vertical windshield part of the tub. I had a picture but I cant find it.
Sulls88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Sulls88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So theres the trouble spot.... you can see how the seal was deteriorating. I pulled out some of the loose seal and squeezed as much silicon as possible into it.

Hope this is your problem because its an easy fix.
Sulls88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Virjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The leak on my 87 was the windshield gasket (had pieces missing), The gasket between the windshield and the body (fold the windshield down to replace this one) and holes drilled through the windshield hinges (filled these with clear silicone) My feet would get wet and water ran all over under the dash. Hope this helps.
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
wholzer

thank you for all your help i put a brand new windshield frame gasket around the windshield and cowl gasket between windshield and cowl. i poured water down the cowl vent and it poured in to the cab. is there a way to get to the cowl vent to look at it do i have to crawl up on the jeep to look in.
wholzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.