Leaking Vapor Canister - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking Vapor Canister

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
ScottLucy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Leaking Vapor Canister

Well this is my first post on this forum am doing so after many times of searching for answers through this site over the past couple years of owning my jeep.

I just got home from a quick little mountain drive and after I got out I noticed gas leaking from the paasanger side of the engine compartment. After a bit of digging around I found that it was coming from the vapor canister. Looking for the part turned up nothing. I've read a few posts and found that they are no longer making the part. I would rather put in a new part and fix it once rather then going to a pick and pull and have the same problem in the next couple years. I also think that this may be a source of a small vacume leak that has been throwing my idle off.

How would you go about solving this problem? A new three port canister and T off the Throttle body line from the fuel tank line? And most importantly what would have caused this so that I can prevent it from happening again?

ScottLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

You shouldn't need to. The vapor can should never have liquid gasoline in it.

Did the tank get filled extra-full? Because unless you've got some fuel/vapor lines mixed up, this should not ever happen.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
ScottLucy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did just replace the filler and vapor necks to the tank, after a fill up that spilled over. I found a small crack in the filler neck and thought that was my problem, however at this point it seems to be running well. Should I be worried about any other problems as a result? It didn't leak after a nice drive today.
ScottLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Keep an eye on the canister. If you see or smell any fuel after a few more days then there might be other problems. Up under the right rear fender the 2 tank vent lines run to a "roll over valve" that blocks fuel if you top the jeep. There are a few issues with the lines and valve breaking so double check. Also, use carb cleaner to spray around if you suspect a vacumm leak. You'll hear the idle change if you spray an area that has a leak.

Welcome to the forum and the Jeep madness!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.