Leaking Steering Box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking Steering Box

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
MrJohn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Leaking Steering Box

Hey, I just bought this Jeep Monday, and I have been learning how to drive stick on it. I haven't taken it off the road at all, just to and from parking lots to learn how to drive stick. I parked it in my dorm parking garage, and I went to it two hours later and there was a fresh leak, directly under the steering box/pitman arm. I saw a post about someone who fixed their steering box, and gave a very detailed write up about it (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...g-box-1088128/). I also saw someone say they used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, a liquid that, well, stops the leak. My question is, should I go and do the repair, being new to Jeeps, or should I try the Stop Leak. I guess I could try the liquid, and if it doesn't work, try the repair, I didn't think about that.

There's a picture of where the oil is coming out of.

Any thoughts or ideas?

MrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Hbeaudreau
1987 YJ Wrangler 

go get one from a durango at a junk yard. Shouldnt cost to much, it will bolt right up and is much stronger then the one on there.
YJ Build : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-87-yj-build-thread-1072026/
Hbeaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't mess around with the stop leak, it's only a temporary solution. The steering gear box isn't too difficult to take off and it would probably be cheaper and easier to do what Hbeaudreau said and get a steering box from a 98-99 Dodge Durango.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
MrJohn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How would it be cheaper? Wouldn't it be around 50 dollars for a steering box from a Durango? I just pulled that number out of the air, I don't know.
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
How would it be cheaper? Wouldn't it be around 50 dollars for a steering box from a Durango? I just pulled that number out of the air, I don't know.
And last I checked, a reman replacement is well over 100, at least around here. The rebuild kit alone is 55ish.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
hdsport
2008 WK 

I had the same problem with a leaking steering box...2000 Wrangler TJ.
Solutions are: 1) Replace with a rebuilt one - probably less than $200 w/ core and your time to do it. (OR a new one....more $).
2) Rebuild .... Kits are probably less than $40 at NAPA - and your time to do it. Results are "iffy" I'm told.

So, I tried something that an "old timer" showed me about 40 years ago.
I put about 1/2 oz of brake fluid (NO MORE) into the power steering reservoir. Brake fluid will swell o-rings. I did this - don't add any more than this. I watched my leak decrease in a couple of days and in less tan a week, it was gone.
That was about three months ago. At this time there is NO leaking from my PS gear.
I did this as a personal test....if it didn't work, i would have to replace the steering gear anyway.

This is quick, cost effective and it worked.
So far, so good,

ALSO, FIRST, I put a bottle of Lucas into the PS Reservoir. NO CHANGE in the leak.
.....Called Lucas, sent in the upc & receipt and got a refund.

I will probably use a turkey baster & short hose to pull out about a qt of "old" fluid and replace w/ new fluid one of these rainy days.

Overall. I am satisfied with the results of this test.
If you try it, let us know how it works out.
Thanks.
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

At Partsource (canadian parts chain) you can get seals for the steering box, I think one is about 5$ and the other is about 12$. I bought a set when my box was leaking and it was less than 25$ all in.

Kevin
kcaverly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
bazz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Junk yard box? depending where you're at it should be a lot cheaper then buying a rebuilt one
Unread 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
bilwil
1987 YJ Wrangler 

HDSPORT
I have the same problem as MRJOHN with power steering on my yj. It was slowed the leak down to a little leak with lucas, but the AT fluid sounds good. I will put that idea away for a leakey day :-)
My wifes ford started the ford PS howl and lucas made it a wimper. Just wonder if some 90 wt. would of worked the same!

87, Laredo
bilwil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
MrJohn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did Lucas, I got a couple of good reviews from a few friends, and it was cheaper. Put it in yesterday, no leak yet. If it starts leaking, I'll let you know. Thanks for the ideas guys, hdsport, interesting idea.
Unread 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a durango box leaking bad. Tried lucas junk, didn't work. Replaced it with a YJ box. I will turn the durango box in as a core and get a reman one eventually.

Also the rebuild kits are iffy. If you don't have everything tight and sealed properly, it won't work. I've seen friends try them with bad results and wasted time.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ Sport
00 TJ Sport
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
Steering box at junkyard here, $25. That's a low price for a gearbox upgrade that really only includes you knocking out a few bolts and popping the new one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
Also the rebuild kits are iffy. If you don't have everything tight and sealed properly, it won't work. I've seen friends try them with bad results and wasted time.
This

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
MrJohn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Steering box at junkyard here, $25. That's a low price for a gearbox upgrade that really only includes you knocking out a few bolts and popping the new one in.

This
This?
Unread 11-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
yabo71
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Old Timer

Trying the Old Timer.... trick. I will post in a few days to let ya know if I see an improvement. About 10-15 drops overnight to start...
yabo71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I rebuilt the box I took out of an '86 XJ, four years ago. It hasn't leaked a bit since then.

$35 for the box with a dropped pitman arm, and $7 for the seal kit.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.