Leaking fill plug on D35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking fill plug on D35

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
4cylYJ

Leaking fill plug on D35

I looked at my rear diff to day and noticed that gear oil was coming out of the fill plug. Has anybody else ever had this problem. It didn't leak out of it untill I changed the diff fluid in it about three months ago.My jeeps is nearly 10 years old
so I wouldn't be suprised if the rubber plug was a little dry rotted.

4cylYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
jeepfury

Did you try to over fill it? Is it leaking a lot? Like leaving a drips on the bottom of the diff? If it isn't just a little oil on the cover is okay. Maybe if you switched to synthetic that might be part of the problem. I am using royal purple synthetic and have had no leaks though. And if everything checks out then I would just go get a new plug from the parts store.

00 Cherokee Classic- Stock
jeepfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Or you can take it out clean it off, put it back in and then coat the outside of it with a thin layer of that squeeze gasket stuff...you know what I mean.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you put a lift on recently and shimmed the rear axle, you tilted the rear of the differential down a little from the stock position. Yes, mine leaks, it continues to leak because I continue to add fluid to keep it full. Let me know if you figure out a way to stop it.
Unread 06-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cylYJ
I looked at my rear diff to day and noticed that gear oil was coming out of the fill plug. Has anybody else ever had this problem. It didn't leak out of it untill I changed the diff fluid in it about three months ago.My jeeps is nearly 10 years old
so I wouldn't be suprised if the rubber plug was a little dry rotted.
Remove the plug .. clean it up and then just put some RTV around the groove in the plug and replace it in the hole ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Hackle
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest removing the plug.

Remove the entire D35 from the vehicle.

Replace with a D44 of Ford 8.8.

Throw away old plug.

Works every time for me.
Unread 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackle
I would suggest removing the plug.

Remove the entire D35 from the vehicle.

Replace with a D44 of Ford 8.8.

Throw away old plug.

Works every time for me.
Best idea yet.
Or take the drain plug out and put a wrap of teflon tape around it.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
acejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
Best idea yet.
Or take the drain plug out and put a wrap of teflon tape around it.
Hate to tell you the obvious but .............. wind the teflon tape in the opposite direction of the threads so that when you tighten the plug it pulls the teflon into the threads. I'd use 3 or 4 wraps.
Unread 06-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

unfortunately, my rear diff doesn't have a threaded plug, or even the option for a threaded plug, it has a stupid rubber plunger type thing.
Unread 06-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
DrunkPenguin

Threads? We don't need no stinkin threads!! Um, my D35 has a rubber plug.

Mine was leaking and I took it off and put it back on and it stopped. Don't know why but it did. Now it don't leak. You should try it. It might not work on yours but it worked on mine. Not sure why it worked on mine but it did and it doesn't leak and I'm happy. Try it on yours and see if it works on yours like it worked on mine, but it probably won't because there is no reason why it should, but it worked on mine.

John
DrunkPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll definitely give that a shot DrunkPenguin. Easy on the caffeine man.
Unread 06-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #12
acejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake989
unfortunately, my rear diff doesn't have a threaded plug, or even the option for a threaded plug, it has a stupid rubber plunger type thing.
Go to a GOOD hardware store, bring the plug, ask for either a wellnut or an expansion plug. Should cost about half a buck and solve your problem.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.