Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

leaking brake line

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  yjmoose 
#1 ·
I noticed that there was brake fluid leaking in front of the driver side rear tire of my jeep. As I looked closer, I noticed brake fluid running down the frame of the jeep and right above the rear shock. It appears that the metal brake line that connects to the rear rubber brake hose is cracked. From what I saw it looks as if the line runs all the way to the front of the car. What would be the best way to fix this. Should I cut back the line somewhere before the leak flare it and add in a new length of tubing? and if so does anybody know the thread size of the brake line fitting. thanks

#6 ·
i dont mess with shortcut on brake lines. i would replace the whole thing and be done with it and dont have to worry about it snapping. also check all the other lines inside the frame rail make sure there not chafed or kinked

#8 ·
thats what i used. i mesured each line and went to nape and bought everything i needed for about 15-20 bucks

#9 ·
Yes, replace the entire brake line, it really isn't that hard, it is pretty much a straight run. Mine was a 3/16 line, but where it connects to the block below the master cylinder it was a goofy size and I needed a special $8.50 adapter that I got a napa. My suggestion would be to bring both ends of the brake line with you to the parts store to make sure you get the correct line. Good luck.

#10 ·
I noticed that there was brake fluid leaking in front of the driver side rear tire of my jeep. As I looked closer, I noticed brake fluid running down the frame of the jeep and right above the rear shock. It appears that the metal brake line that connects to the rear rubber brake hose is cracked. From what I saw it looks as if the line runs all the way to the front of the Jeep. What would be the best way to fix this. Should I cut back the line somewhere before the leak flare it and add in a new length of tubing? and if so does anybody know the thread size of the brake line fitting. thanks
I just had to correct that. It's a jeep, not a car.

#12 ·
I did my entire line to the rear after having a similar issue. I was very glad I did.

One Note: I saw reference above to a $8.50 adapter. I didn't know such a thing existed, so I simply took the old fitting off the old line, cut the new line and place the old fitting on it, then double flared it into place. It worked perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.