Leak on my 95 Wrangler. Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Leak on my 95 Wrangler. Help?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
JeenBarrett
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Leak on my 95 Wrangler. Help?

My first post here, I hope I can get some help with this. I very recently purchased my first car, a 95 Jeep Wrangler YJ. Today when I went to go out I saw a big puddle in my driveway under the front right wheel. Not ON the wheel, but leaking from somewhere right next to it. It doesn't look or smell like oil and the anti freeze overflow is on the left side so it cant be that. I'm afraid to drive it for risk of a more serious issue. Any ideas on what it could be?

JeenBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The heater core hoses go through the fire wall right there, that's my guess. But you say it does not look or smell like antifreeze, so maybe not.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
JeenBarrett
1995 YJ Wrangler 

For all I know it could be antifreeze, I just followed the overflow hose back and it was on the opposite side but maybe there is another hose there on the right. But I checked the radiator and it was full to the brim with antifreeze/coolant so I'd just have to guess its not coolant. The liquid had a sortof orangey tint to it like oil but I'm honestly clueless. I'm no mechanic :/

Last edited by JeenBarrett; 06-01-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is the leak right on the inside of the tire? Could be brake fluid. Mabee a caliper or a brake line. Check your master cylinder for fluid level. You don't want to drive away with no brakes. On a lighter note you bought a Jeep not a car. Jeeps are not cars they are "JEEPS" and money pits. I think I only need a few more new parts till mine is new again. Welcome and welcome to the biggest addiction you will ever have. Had my first one at 20 and now 25 years later I'm on my 5th one. Just can't get the YJ's out of my system and probably never will. You will be totally hooked after your first ride topless and doorless and romping through the mud.

Bernie
2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
JeenBarrett
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzehentmaier View Post
Is the leak right on the inside of the tire? Could be brake fluid. Mabee a caliper or a brake line. Check your master cylinder for fluid level. You don't want to drive away with no brakes. On a lighter note you bought a Jeep not a car. Jeeps are not cars they are "JEEPS" and money pits. I think I only need a few more new parts till mine is new again. Welcome and welcome to the biggest addiction you will ever have. Had my first one at 20 and now 25 years later I'm on my 5th one. Just can't get the YJ's out of my system and probably never will. You will be totally hooked after your first ride topless and doorless and romping through the mud.

Bernie
Haha, yeah its weird calling it a ''car'', I always correct my friends and tell them no, it's a Jeep, not car . But yeah anyways, that's exactly where the fluid was. All over the inside of the wheel well and tire. As well as all over the place around it. Thanks for the info, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the problem. Now I need to figure out why its coming out. Yeah I love YJ's. I love the square headlights and military look. OD green paint job this summer I hope! I took it off roading the 3rd week I had it. no doors top down. Filled the cab with water lol. It was awesome (those drainage plugs come in handy) Thanks a bunch!
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Turp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A bit off-topic but, being up north, make sure you wash the winter road salt off from the undercarriage and inspect it regularly to stay ahead of rust issues. Wranglers have plenty of spots and crevices to hold salt. FWIW-while they do need a part or two occasionally, they're relatively simple compared to other vehicles and very reliable. Beyond my typical Honda and Toyota choices, Jeep YJs and TJs are definitely on my recommended list.
Turp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is the fluid real stinky? Mabee a front axle seal then. Could be gear lube. It's usually dark and stinky unless it's new then it's just clean and stinky. Check the fluid in your brakes master first though. I'm betting on the brake line being broken though I've had both problems in the past and they both left a puddle on the ground under the tire and wet all over the inside of the tire. If the fluid is gone in one of the masters bowls(I think the front one, can't remember) then you know it's the brakes. Otherwise i'd say axle seal. I've done them myself and also at the shop. It should cost around $150.00 to get done at a shop[ or $4.50 for the seal and a couple broken knuckles if done yourself. Good luck and post up your findings.

Bernie
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Added note: Geal lube is thick and brake fluid is thin and runny.
A Work In Progress

A new begining
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
JeenBarrett
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Found out what it was. It WAS the return line for the coolant/antifreeze. The return line runs right next to the right front tire and the molded tubing was split on the hose clamped end so I cut the split part then pulled the rest 2 inches onto the metal spout and clamped it shut

Tags
front end , Leaking , oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.