leafs v coils - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > leafs v coils

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
1morecj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

leafs v coils

how common is it to switch from leaf springs to coil? the PO had a coil lift kit installed on a '93 YJ I just got. pros? cons? thx

1morecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
89yjislanderr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it's not super common. people do it. it's not crazy. better ride, potential for better flex. of course, then you need sway bars and disconnects and all that business if you have coils. I like leafs better.
89yjislanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Coming from Someone who had both, on the same jeep, I can say that leafs are easier. Coils involve a lot more than just the springs like leafs. The coils ride better on the street and can flex better than any SUA leaf setup. However I am SOA up front and it flexes just as good as the rear coils, if not better.

If you have a coil setup already then you should be pretty solid both on and off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not common unless someone has and old coil conversion kit. most coil conversions are on hardcore custom setups as they are not cheap to do right and usually cost as much as a used YJ
Unread 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

There were never any conversion kits made that worked better then the potential of leaf springs.
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped to coils when I built my jeep. My frame was trashed, found a TJ frame and modified it to work. Front is all off the shelf tj parts. Rear is a custom triangulated mid arm 4 link. I have owned a pile of yj's, the coil conversion was the best thing I ever did!

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
My Rusty Wrangler Project
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.