Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Leaf springs are pretty flat

873 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  93Sahara 
#1 ·
My YJ's leaf springs are pretty flat and I think it's causing a little problem when I'm on the trails. My shocks still feel pretty good on the highway, but they will bottom out when I hit hard. They are the originals from 110,000 miles ago. I've never added any lift to a vehicle so I've got a couple of questions. This is not a daily driver, but street ride quality is still a small factor.

I've found several posts regarding Add-a-leafs, but I haven't heard if they last. Will the springs sag again after a while like re-curving? The Rancho kit I'm looking at (AAL + shocks) says that it will add up to 1.5" of lift. Is that from its current height or from the original height? Can AAL be used in conjunction with longer shackles? If the AAL adds 1.5" of height to the current height with worn out springs, will the longer shocks be too long? Do the AAL systems make the ride too rigid and more susceptible to breakage?

Thanks for any input,
Nate

#2 ·
The Rancho kit is a good kit, and I got 2"s out of mine :thumbsup:
I have had mine on the heep for about a year now with longer shackles and the ride was better after installation. The shocks that come with the kit are longer, but are perfect for the lift. I still get excellent flex out of them on the trail and they still hold their shape even with heavy front and rear bumpers.

#4 · (Edited)
I had full lenght AAL in my jeep for a couple months the front sagged out after taking it wheeling a couple times so I threw some new 2" BDS springs on, the rear is actually still a BDS full lenghth AAL and its just as tall as my friend's 2" rear springs. If your springs are flat I would just replace them IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.