Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Leaf spring noise help

1K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  HB223 
#1 ·
I recently bought ruff stuff 6" boomerang shackles for the front of the heep and I started noticing at low speeds on a hill or incline when I'm turning, the front leaf springs make a popping/clunking noise. I tightened down the fasteners from the shackle to the leaf spring to I believe 80 or 90 ft-lbs. Seems like they are to tight but the nuts aren't threaded onto the bolts very far. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Stock torque calls for 100 ft lbs.
The flex comes from the bushing, not the bolts.
The sleeve is there so it can't be over-tightened unless it's so tight the sleeve is being crushed.

Did you recently install OME?
If so, what bushings/sleeves did you use?

The OME springs are a bit thinner than other springs so if the original sleeves are used, they need to be cut down @ 1/4'' ish

#18 ·
Luuca said:
Also, Thats the front. The Boomerang shackles are upside down. On the fronts, the long part is down and the short part is up. Read this: https://www.mountainoffroad.com/media/instructions/LS9081-is.pdf
Man!! I was looking all of the Internet for right direction to install, everyone had a different opinion. I will flip them around and get new center bolts. Thanks for the help!

#19 ·
Not only will you need the center bolts (4", grade 8, 1/2 inch blots with Nylock nuts) you will need a spacer tube.

You can make your own spacer tube out of some thick-walled metal pipe. I found a 2-foot section of 3/4" OD / 1/2" ID metal tube at the local McFadden-Dale store for about $10. (sorry I removed the sticker so no part number)

Cut the tube to exactly 3" and it will keep the sides from wobbling in on your stabilizer bolt. If you do not have the means to cut the pipe, PM me and we can work out something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.